PDA

View Full Version : Tempest engine sounds

mynameisroland
01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Does the patch include engine sounds for the Sabre engine?

mynameisroland
01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Does the patch include engine sounds for the Sabre engine?

BigganD
01-31-2006, 08:01 AM
I think that it will sound like the spits sound in the game.

p1ngu666
01-31-2006, 08:27 AM
sabres didnt sound that great http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

sound was sacreficed for more power http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

WOLFMondo
01-31-2006, 08:29 AM
It shouldn't. There isn't an engine sound that remotely comes close to what a Sabre sounds like. Its horrible, high pitch and excessivly loud. Its really distinctive because of its pitch.

goshikisen
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
The Hawker Tempest page has a number of sound recordings of a Sabre engine.

Hawker Tempest Audio Recordings (http://www.hawkertempest.se/sound.htm)

I don't think there's an aircraft in existance that would do the Sabre justice in terms of sampling or recording for a sim.

Retrofish
01-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Sounds a bit like my sisters Morris Marina. I could do some recordings. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

WOLFMondo
01-31-2006, 09:37 AM
If someone can tell me how to rip sound from a DVD I can record and host what a Sabre sounds like.

BerkshireHunt
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
If the sound of the Sabre in the game is the bog standard 'IL2 tumble drier" then Oleg has really missed a trick.
The Sabre sound was said to resemble 'the noise of tearing calico' (ie a ripping buzz). The aviation historian Bill Gunston saw Tempests fly overhead as a teenager and has said that the Sabre was "remarkable for its thrilling, high pitched, sound".
This is by Sqn leader Jimmy Sheddan RNZAF:
'Napier designed the Sabre as a so-called 'hyper engine' in the late 1930s. The concept behind the specification was to produce the biggest, most powerful engine that could be efficiently cooled with the radiators then available. It was twice the engine a Merlin was, in that it had 24 cylinders instead of 12, and they were comparatively small in diameter and stroke. (They used advanced-design sleeve valves to control the induction and exhaust cycle, which reduced engine weight and complexity). This meant the 24 pistons were rather light for their size and, taken together with the short stroke, made for a high-revving engine. In fact, the engine was rated to cruise at 3400 rpm - with maximum power being produced at 3750 rpm. The Merlin, by contrast, cruised at only 1800 rpm with maximum power developed at 2800 rpm. This meant the Tempest and Typhoon were always cruising at, or near, their maximum speed which made them hard to 'bounce'. A Spitfire, on the other hand, would take time to accelerate to its maximum speed, by which time... it could all be over. The disadvantage of cruising at a speed near your maximum was that it made it hard to catch up with your colleagues, if you fell behind'.
(Note that a Sabre was turning over almost 1000rpm faster than a Merlin, at maximum power).

Sheddan goes on to say that Typhoons had "an excess of power and took off like a rocket, with a vicious swing on take-off if you didn't counteract it quickly with a kick on the rudder".
I think this was addressed with the bigger tail area of the Tempest but, nevertheless, torque on take-off should be something else.

goshikisen
01-31-2006, 02:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BerkshireHunt:
If the sound of the Sabre in the game is the bog standard 'IL2 tumble drier" then Oleg has really missed a trick.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They might sidestep the tumble dryer and go with the lawn mower.

The Tempest, like no other aircraft, will illustrate the limitations of whatever system it is Oleg uses for engine sounds. It'll be a great addition no doubt but that audible dimension is missing. I hope (fingers crossed) that BOB improves on this because it'll be a crying shame if these incredibly detailed models aren't backed up by authentic engine samples.