PDA

View Full Version : Joystick throw issue.

ZGOZZ
02-23-2005, 05:51 AM
When playing the game everything is fine, for a couple of game then the throws on the stick only go to a certin point. Removing the Joystick and putting back in it is ok.

Is there something in IL2 doing this?
Has anybody else had this problem?

ytareh
02-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Let me guess!?LOGITECH!They are known for this problem which seems to happen to them all.Having said that I couldnt live with my replacement Saitek Evo(hated 'grip'-actually the spring went too)and replaced that with another Logitech Extreme 3d Pro.Hope the shop keeps replacin ' em all!

ytareh
02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
So whats the longest anyones had a Logitech?Do the wireless or force feedback models have same 'bad' potentiometers?

Sturm_Williger
02-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Um, I had a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D ( what a mouthful ) for about 6 years. When I finally bought an X45, I passed it on to a mate and AFAIK, it's still going strong. So nearly 7 years for that one.

Is this a record ?

I know there's a lot of people on this forum with negative views on Logitech, but I never had a single problem ( I'm just a bad pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Tallyho1961
02-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I bought and needed to instantly replace two Extreme 3D Pro joysticks last fall due to erratic behaviour. If you Google this stick you'll easily find negative info regarding reliability. I should have done this first and saved myself the trouble. Some get a good stick and love it while many, like me, get lemons.

The silver lining was that I decided to get an X45, which I had previously shied away from, never having used a HOTAS. My eternal thanks to Logitech because using a HOTAS is a whole lot more fun than a simple stick.

SDG73
02-23-2005, 11:14 AM
i had a wingman extreme about 5 yrs ago and after a year it started losing its ff and the controls eventually went dead,maybe something that could be fixed but instead i went and bought a wingman force3D and it has been flawless for almost 3 yrs now.i think being gentle on the stick without cranking on it (especially with ff enabled)it might last a lil longer.i usually cut the ff to 50% just to save on wear but who knows there could just be alot of lemons out there.i just cant seem to find a better designed stick than the wingman...just feels right. hope that helps.

Wilburnator
02-23-2005, 12:10 PM
My Saitek X52 throttle does this... after several flights it won't go further back than about 21-22% power. I have to leave the game and unplug the usb cable and plug it back in and it's good for a while. It's what all the logitechs I ever owned ended up doing. It also happened to the Saitek Cyborg I had. It's a pain.
It hasn't happened to my CH stick and rudder pedals. The stick is brand new, but the pedals are 4 years old and shoying no signs of wear. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sparrow420
02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Tough problem... but sounds like a bad connection in a potmeter. Perhaps it's time to take it apart and check the connections. Also note: the wires inside the joystick are not shielded, so there may be a capacitive coupling... (move a wire and see a response) between different leads.

BTW: all - well almost all - joysticks use potmeters because they are cheap. But all (yes! ALL) of them wear out... get noisy etc.

So, that's why I don't use my new Logitech joystick, but my 4 (or 5?) year old one. I admit that I changed the potmeter in the pitch axis for a contactless (optical) "potmeter". Fortunately the old joystick has a big foot, so I could implement it.

And remember: even the guys who own the top of the bill Cougar are not all that happy... At least not all of them, since some of them have their $300 joystick upgraded with magnetic potmeters...

Anyway: the technology to make a good joystick does exist (it's not THAT difficult, really), but apparently the market is too small to use anything but cheap/crappy components. It's possible - spending $5 to $10 more - to make a decent to good joystick that lasts more than just a few years. But the flightsim market (the group that benefits the most from high quality joysticks) is just too small to get the joystick manufactures interested in making such ones.

Well... at least that's how I see it... (for now)

Wilburnator
02-23-2005, 04:19 PM
That's some good luck there with that Logitech. I've had several and every one went back for exchange. It's not that I'm so stupid that I just kept buying them, it's just that they kept replacing them for free. I just got sick of taking them back.

Potentiometers come in various grades. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the pots in a CH Fighterstick aren't the same as the ones used in a Logitech Wingman. And even though they all eventually wear out, it's nice when they last longer than, say, 3 weeks.

gates123
02-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah I took back my logitec extreme 3d pro about 8 times, then went to the 2.4 cordless and took that back about 5 times. Got a cyborg evo now and its been doing ok although i think its not as precise as some other manufacturers. Gonna get some rudder pedals soon and bail on the twist. Thinking maybe the CH package w/o the hotas, would like trim wheels on the hotas which CH doesnt have. Hey at least my Track IR 2 works!

Yog_Shoggoth
02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I have an E3D pro. I told myself that I'd get a thrustmaster when it died. That was when IL2:FB was new. Die **** you! I pray every day for a malfunction. Anything, but it stays solid. Of all the rotten luck.

ljazz
02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm gonna take this opportunity to boast a bit about my new CH rig!!!! woooohooooo.... I can't believe I waited this long to get it.

Over the course of the last 12 months, these are the sticks I've been through:

Wingman Extreme..... plastic eventually wore away and the stick separated from it.

Logitech Extreme 3D..... kept going out of calibration.

Saitek Cyborg Evo..... trigger stopped responding.

Saitek Cyborg Evo..... trigger stopped responding. (not a typo... it happened twice)

Saitek X45.... All axis controls started to jitter (you could see the trim controls, stick and throttle in the game actually jiggling back and forth), the fire C button (only used for flaps) and the fire button (under the safe cap) both stopped responding.

Hopefully my bad luck ends with this CH rig!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~S~
ljazz

ZGOZZ
02-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Wow so it is the logictech stick Oh joy.

Unburied_Nat
02-25-2005, 05:15 PM
I know I'm a bit off-topic here but this is the best place I could find.
I have a problem with my homebuilt, three-axis, three-button throttle quadrant (power, prop and flaps).
The throttle will enable and calibrate and work very well but when I use it my joystick becomes ID1, a secondary controller and I can€t edit the response curve; there is no axis response in the HOTAS.
There is a section in config.ini where the response curves are stored [rts_joystick]
but I don€t know which ones to change.
Is this a problem common to HOTAS setups or is just my €œInspector Gadget€ setup?

Nat

bolox00
02-26-2005, 06:20 AM
http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm
see section about adding a second controller in particular. pm me if you still have probs

actually logitech boards make a good basis for a second (or third?) controller- just use pots from an eletrical store. mine ran for just under 2 yrs perfectly-now developing a prob on 1 axis but 15 for two years and now i can think about mk111 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Unburied_Nat
02-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks Bolox; Tully€s article was the cure.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ZGOZZ
02-26-2005, 10:36 AM
cool