PDA

View Full Version : The significant carrier battle group

jugent
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
The carrier proved itself as the most valuable navy battle unit.
But a carrier is fragile look what happen to Glorius in april 1940. Scharnhorst sunk it within minutes without problems.
The CV must be protected by Battleships Cruisers destroyers etc etc.

The Battle of Coral see was the firs naval battle where the first battle where no ship spotted a enemy ship.

In the purpose of making this game more realistic a destroyed CV must be unable to takeoff from. It should be possible to move a CV on a dogfight server and takeoff and land on it, while moving.
It this would be done you could move battlegroups towards each other and if a CV came in the range of the battleships guns, the CV would be sunk.

Then would the divebombers torpedoe-bombers be vital for the success of the mission.
Perhaps is all this possible already, havnt dug myself in mission-builder.

By the way, I think that the Soviet Backfires would have nuced the carrier-groups in the atlantic. They would have been much to vital for staying un-nuced.

jugent
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
The carrier proved itself as the most valuable navy battle unit.
But a carrier is fragile look what happen to Glorius in april 1940. Scharnhorst sunk it within minutes without problems.
The CV must be protected by Battleships Cruisers destroyers etc etc.

The Battle of Coral see was the firs naval battle where the first battle where no ship spotted a enemy ship.

In the purpose of making this game more realistic a destroyed CV must be unable to takeoff from. It should be possible to move a CV on a dogfight server and takeoff and land on it, while moving.
It this would be done you could move battlegroups towards each other and if a CV came in the range of the battleships guns, the CV would be sunk.

Then would the divebombers torpedoe-bombers be vital for the success of the mission.
Perhaps is all this possible already, havnt dug myself in mission-builder.

By the way, I think that the Soviet Backfires would have nuced the carrier-groups in the atlantic. They would have been much to vital for staying un-nuced.

diomedes33
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Very good ideas, but I think its because of the limitations of the game engine.

Oleg said before PF was released that carriers will not move in a DF map. Whether this is impossible or a command decision, no one will know but Oleg and his staff.

I speculate that the reason you can still spawn on a sunk carrier is due to the roots of IL2 as a land-based ground attack sim. The airbases can not be destroyed or made unusable. Adding this feature for the carriers would probably cause some sort of cascade bug throughout the DF code.

btw you can set up a coop mission that does this exactly. However, once your dead you can't respawn. And you can't refuel and rearm.

llandaff
04-04-2005, 05:09 AM
This is a game engine limitation - "objects cant move in dogfight multiplayer, players cant connect in cooperative multiplayer". Chose what is more important for you - connecting on the fly or moving tanks and ships.

In dogfight players can connect anytime, and they do not need to receive full information about location and speed of all objects, because they are static.

In cooperative all players start at the same time, and they do not need to receive full information about location and speed of all objects, because each computer calculate it.

Also, you can have multiple players in single aircraft in COOP.

diomedes33
04-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Llandaff

Always thought there was a good reason for this, but couldn't figure it out.