PDA

View Full Version : FPS problem. And i mean it

Foehammer-1
01-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey all!
I was going to post this last night, but forum was down. So here goes!

I installed and scripted the empire celt tanker, chatam troop transport, whale factory, pyro and ore carrier ships. I also have the SH4 effects installed, latest version.

So i noticed something. Usually when you blow up a tanker, it makes a big fireball, which kills FPS in stock game. With the SH4 effects, i only experienced a minor slowdown.
But now i blew up an empire celt tanker, it made three or four huge explosions in rapid succession, which brought my FPS to 1 for a good 20 seconds.

In stock game, you have to go inside a boat or place a camera underwater to reduce or eliminate slowdown.
But not now. Anything i did left thr FPS at 1. Thinking it was a 1-time glitch, i reloaded. Now torpedoed 2 tankers at once. As predicted, the slowdown was even worse.

Anyone know how to fix that?

Goose_Green
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Are you running high graphics options within Windows? for example the AA ratings etc.

You may want to turn them down a little bit if you have them maxed out.

K_Freddie
01-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Sounds like something else. Graphics card info would help.

Do a diagnostic on your graphics card. I'd think a sudden drop in FPS like this, which seems to have come out the blue, might be Video memory problem. Do this again and watch your HDisk light. If it goes crazy at this moment, you probably have run out of video memory or 'lost' a video memory chip.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tuddley3
01-30-2008, 05:20 AM
You may also want to try "FS Autostart". It will shutdown programs running in the background while you have SH3 running, then restarts them when you close SH3.

I have it at Filefront. If you want to try it, PM me and I'll give you instructions on how to set it up. FS Autostart works with any game, especially flight simulators(For which it was designed for).

Foehammer-1
01-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm kinds busy this week (2 labs and 2 midterms). But i'll check it out next week, Tuddley

U301
01-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I installed and scripted the empire celt tanker, chatam troop transport, whale factory, pyro and ore carrier ships. I also have the SH4 effects installed, latest version.
I have had trouble with those ships in the passed with ctd everytime I hit them so I do not use any of them now.
I am running stock with OLC GUI.
I think the Japanese ships, Nippon tankes etc, that are on the site I sent you Foehammer-1 are better than that selection to be honest with you.
SH4 Effects is known to be mega heavy on frps anyway.
That is just my opinion!
"Different folks for different strokes..."
KUrtz

bubbaj0nes
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
make sure you aren't running to different types of effect mods. i did it by accident too. like GWX and sh4 effects..

if you run two different damage environment mods at the same time, basically the effects occur twice - this is really taxing on any system.

tuddley3
01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by bubbaj0nes:
make sure you aren't running to different types of effect mods. i did it by accident too. like GWX and sh4 effects..

if you run two different damage environment mods at the same time, basically the effects occur twice - this is really taxing on any system.

SH4 for SH3 can be installed using JSGME. Any original files that are the same as ones in the SH4 mod, are backed up. I have it installed over WAC and other water, smoke, & particle effects, and I don't have any problems(Other than my normal fps problems, which means I need a new computer). Maybe it's just a GWX compatibility problem.

If you have something like Real Damage Mod(Hollywood 2) installed, some of those effects are multiplied(I think someone is working on that at subsim).

Foehammer-1
01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't have the Hollywood mod... And with SH4 effects, i blew up other tankers, as well as a Revenge battleship, and it didn't slow down one bit. Only the Empire Celt's seem to do that. Weird

Privateer_GWX
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Depending on what unit is cloned to create
a new ship, and how much knowledge the creator
has of the zoneing stuff?

Weird things can happen!!

My money would be on the zone file causeing the
problems.

A bad or radical zone setup can cause CTD,
ships skipping across the water,
massive FPS loss, and more.

A mistake in the sim file usually causes the