PDA

View Full Version : Some minor FM Questions

MystiqBlackCat
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
1)Does throttle and/or mix settings affect fuel consumption? Any elaboration on how its calculated is much appreciated.

2)Does the mix setting have any bearing on top speed? Example: F4U-1D Corsair at 500 meters, will 120% mix make it faster than 100%?

3)Does the mix setting affect the engine/oil temperatures?

4)Which map has the best possible environment for flight performance testing? (Temperature, wind, barometer if applicable.)

5)Can moving the Turbosupercharger(or relative system) to a higher gear at low alt improve performance(Top Speed, Acceleration)? I know that it is supposed to damage the engine over a period of time, but the sacrifice for speed to get out of a hairy situation is a good trade off in some situations.

All for now, I'll post again when I'm off work and/or think of more.

MystiqBlackCat
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
1)Does throttle and/or mix settings affect fuel consumption? Any elaboration on how its calculated is much appreciated.

2)Does the mix setting have any bearing on top speed? Example: F4U-1D Corsair at 500 meters, will 120% mix make it faster than 100%?

3)Does the mix setting affect the engine/oil temperatures?

4)Which map has the best possible environment for flight performance testing? (Temperature, wind, barometer if applicable.)

5)Can moving the Turbosupercharger(or relative system) to a higher gear at low alt improve performance(Top Speed, Acceleration)? I know that it is supposed to damage the engine over a period of time, but the sacrifice for speed to get out of a hairy situation is a good trade off in some situations.

All for now, I'll post again when I'm off work and/or think of more.

FritzGryphon
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
1. Throttle affects fuel consumption. WEP, in particular, increases consumption dramatically.

For example, FW-190A9 with full fuel at 1000m has endurance of 44min at 110% power. With Erhote Not., only 24 minutes.

I don't know if fuel mix affects it, though one would assume it does.

2. No. Tested on F4U1A at sea level, no speed change from 100%-120%.

3. In same F4UA1 test, the engine overheated in the same time, in 100% or 120%.

4. Oleg says use Crimea, noon, for testing.

5. IIRC, shifting stages early just reduces RPM. It doesn't seem to help performance, nor does it cause damage (only tried F6F, though).

vocatx
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I've been doing a lot of testing on fuel consumption, and I can say that proper engine management makes a huge difference. I'm not going to give all my secrets away (anyone can figure it out if they try, anyway), but I have been able to double the range I used to get on the P-40 and the Spit Vb.

As for the other questions, the only one I can say anything informed on is the supercharger. You won't see any engine damage from using stage two at low altitude, but you will see no benefit either. Best to learn the proper altitude to shift them for each aircraft type.