PDA

View Full Version : OT ? For "Jet Jocks"... LOMAC or SF/WOV?

GSNei
01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey all - I'm not much of a jet guy - but for those who are - do you prefer LOMAC or the Strike Fighters/ Wings Over VietNam series. I noticed over at SimHQ all the addon stuff that has been created for SFP1. Kind of sparked my interest. Which game do you prefer?

GAU-8
01-23-2005, 05:10 PM
get both.

WOV.SFP1 is not the most hardware intensive, but i find it fun, its not perfect by any mean. there are limitations, and the community is making good with what is available. i simply enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it isnt.

i feel both are a must have, but thats just me

BlitzPig_DDT
01-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Haven't tried WOV, but I hear some good things. Get LOMAC however (not necessarily to the exclusion of the other however). The visuals and systems and FM fidelity will blow you away (except for that niggling part of the envelope where planes can kinda 'get stuck').

Stiglr
01-23-2005, 06:07 PM
If you've got a fairly current system, get LOMAC. I hear that the hardware issues are the only thing holding it back, and you have to have a pretty good rig to run it: fast CPU, plenty of memory, and a top-o-the-line vid card.

For WoV, it depends on how realistic you like things. The more realistic you like it, the less you'll be able to stomach WoV.

GSNei
01-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanx for the feedback - I'm a big fan of early cold war/century series stuff so SFP1 caught my attention - they even gotta F-89 you can download! - But because it's "open architecture" I'll bet the plane quality varies a lot.

AlGroover
01-24-2005, 02:05 AM
If you haven't got the system to handle LOMAC, its predecessor Flanker 2 is still available and very cheap. A downloadable patch will upgrade to Flanker 2.5 and I think there's still an active community out there.

gmot_ka
01-24-2005, 07:15 AM
For an slower system Falcon 4 is also a nice jet sim. You have to apply some patches.

It has a great campaign and really complex avionic. I also have SFP1, Lomac, Flanker 2.51. After playing some time Falcon 4 I unterstand (and enjoy) the other simulations better. I think Falcon 4 gives you the best idea how it were to be a jet fighter.

Stiglr
01-24-2005, 11:03 AM
GSNei, you are correct.

The modding community there was already releasing 3rd generation planes (F-15, F-16, Harrier, etc.) before there were any avionics in the sim to support them. Thus, you can be sure that they only "look like" whatever they purport to be, but have FMs and behavior based on little or nothing.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-24-2005, 03:45 PM
LOMAC is probably one of the most realistic jet combat flight sims I've ever played. The complexity of the HUD, weapons systems, and flight models is amazing and the graphics are just fantastic. That being said, I think LOMAC's developers forgot to add the game when they were making the sim. Although everything is so realistic, its just a boring experience. For the most part the pilot in the F-15 is going to dominate with long range weapons and very good maneuverability. Although it does have competition from the more manueverable mig at close range, I rarely ever got close enough to one for that to be a problem. The game, as in real life, also requires a whole new style of high energy dogfighting skills which take a significant time to learn. I don't know about wings over Vietnam, which deals with earlier jet aircraft, but in LOMAC you basically need to run through a top gun training course to really have a grasp of the tactics involved. Playing that game had to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a sim.

On a side note, in my last IL2 squadron we had two real pilots and they both raved about the realism of LOMAC. They understood the way modern jets functioned which gave them a major leg up and they just had a blast with it.