PDA

View Full Version : Me-109 dogfighting style

Ijnpilot
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Is it a turn fighter or boom and zoomer? Does it depend on which model? It seems like it can do both, but I'm not really familiar with the German planes.

aerick2
03-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Which style works best definitely depends on which variant you're using. For instance, the K-14 is a pure boom n' zoomer, whereas the F-2, F-4, and G-2 are good turn fighters. I'm sure some of the 109 jocks will chime in shortly with more details http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EnGaurde
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
fighting against them, they tend to fly vertical loops.

constantly.

flying in them, i try low speed maneouvers, and when that fails if im still in one piece, its vertical loops.

generally, if you do some research, you can expect fast fighters to fly in the vertical, and slower ones the horizontal. On the servers, if you press the s key, you can see how most people are going to fight by what theyve strapped into. Thus, you either gain a lot of height to catch them at the top of their patrols, or not bother and fly at mid level knowing not many will dive on you.

yes yes yes ok experten i know you fly your a6m2 in steep full power dives, i realise you can do anything you like.

im only repeating what ive seen.

Finkeren
03-08-2005, 01:45 AM
The Bf 109 is one of the most versatile planes when it comes to dogfighting. It turns quite well (especially the Fs and early Gs) and has wonderful vertical abilities.
The 109s main problem lies in it being somewhat less resistant to battle damage, and insufficient armament, wich takes some marksmanship to use effectively (for Gods sake, stay away from gun-pods if you're thinking of entering a dogfight)
The 109s greatest advantage is that it's perfect for energy management, it can gain and loose altitude and speed very fast, and the stall is quite gentle. Use fast zoom-climbs to evade a bandit on your six, and allways try to stay high, the 109 is very good at it.
Once you're behind your enemy, have no fear of turning with him, unless you're up against a Spitfire or a zero. The 109 turns great if you apply a little flaps and manage the prop. pitch right.
One thing to note: At high speeds the elevator on the 109 becomes very heavy (contrary to what some people on these forums claim, this is quite realistic). Mange your speed and don't go above 550 km/h in a dive, or if you have to make swift manuevers, you'll just continue right on course.
I could go on for hours, but I won't bore you anymore, just go out and fly it, that plane can do anything you want it to!

Hendley
03-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Sorry for the noobish question, but how do you use prop pitch to improve your turning?

tigertalon
03-08-2005, 06:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Finkeren:
One thing to note: At high speeds the elevator on the 109 becomes very heavy (contrary to what some people on these forums claim, this is quite realistic). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You maybe have any relyable source on that? In another thread in ORR some people presented quite relyable sources, that high speed elevator in Bf109 is indeed wrong...

tigertalon
03-08-2005, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ijnpilot:
Is it a turn fighter or boom and zoomer? Does it depend on which model? It seems like it can do both, but I'm not really familiar with the German planes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bf109s is a series of aircraft that is among the best in any period of war.

If I had to pick one, Bf109G6/AS would be it. It turns excellently (only second to Bf109G2), is very fast (maybe second to K4) and climbs superbly (again second to K4). Besides it has fairly good armament compared to early versions, and has much better high speed handling than K4 (that's why I prefer this one over the K4).

Most important - like K4, it has unike feature of hanging on the propeller... Try it, zoom climb vertically and try to maintain direction upwards for as long as possible, you will see all other planes fall back down much earlier. This gives u unique advantage if you know how to use it (you have to climb exactly vertically, not 80 or 85 degrees, but 90).

Jex_TG
03-08-2005, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hendley:
Sorry for the noobish question, but how do you use prop pitch to improve your turning? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to know the answer to this also? Thx http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

aerick2
03-08-2005, 09:18 AM
You can use manual prop pitch to keep your revs (and thusly your speed) higher through a turn than with auto. It's difficult to do right though, because it's easy to over rev your engine and fry it. You should try to keep your RPM close to 2500 but NOT higher. (That number might be different in the E models, but I'm not sure about that.)

mortoma
03-08-2005, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tigertalon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Finkeren:
One thing to note: At high speeds the elevator on the 109 becomes very heavy (contrary to what some people on these forums claim, this is quite realistic). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You maybe have any relyable source on that? In another thread in ORR some people presented quite relyable sources, that high speed elevator in Bf109 is indeed wrong... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually in the sim the elevator becomes quite heavy at LOW speed. It starts around 470Kph, and that is hardly high speed. That's only 291Mph!!!!!! Hard to believe a top line fighter would get heavy elevator syndrome at below 500Mph, let alone 300Mph, as it is now. I think it should get heavy but only at speeds higher than 650 to 700Kph, this is historical. The Germans would have abandoned using the 109 altogether by 1943 if it had elevator problems as bad as it does in this sim. No doubt about it. It's really hosed badly. Any front line fighter that gets an elevator lock up at only 300 miles per hour would be ( and it is in the sim ) totally outclassed.

GR142_Astro
03-09-2005, 01:17 AM
P38 was a frontline fighter, and the elevator locks up at very low speed.

Very.