PDA

View Full Version : Oleg... Pace your self!

Obi_Kwiet
10-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Perhaps you should ask modelers not to start any new projects, but to finish up the old ones and wrap every thing up, as BoB will be coming in a year or so, and I'm sure you will be wanting to concentrate on it. In this way perhaps we can avoid another PF situation where you are over worked. Maybe one last patch in April-May, with all the 3rd party to date, and then stop supporting them? I know it would be nice to support IL2 indefinitely, but it just can't be done. I'm sure most people will understand if you want to concentrate on BoB. I'm looking foreword to this game, seeing as how you out did your self with the IL2 engine. (BTW I€m counting the hours till I get PF into my hands. Great job!) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

p1ngu666
10-21-2004, 04:21 PM
ya get the merc thats used for f1
has nice engine sound http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Obi_Kwiet
10-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Umm... What?

LEXX_Luthor
10-21-2004, 06:35 PM
FB Forever!

Obi_Kwiet
10-21-2004, 09:45 PM
We've got to be realistic about this. We need to look at wrapping things up, or the AC done, or almost done won't even make it in, which would be a real shame.

jimmie_T
10-22-2004, 04:25 AM
BoB next year? I guess it's impossible. It'll be 2 years from now even in the earliest. Personally I guess it's even 2007 if they made it.

Please take some rest, after the first patch of PF is out, COMPLETE OFF of several weeks a month, regain motivation.

Personally, I think it's not a bad idea to spend more some time in current FB engine, even though it's now probably near at its limit. You could do many minor tweaks except adding new planes. Like AI cannot see thru clouds by adding new restriction to certain environment ("no cloud switch off") or more CPU intensive (thus more clever) AI for coming hardware within a year or so, lots of UI options for message and so on, more support for device link and so forth. And yeah, mission wise improvements! You have provided an outstanding "stage" (FM/DM/ect) and what lucks now is gaming aspect of things. In game map could be revised as well so that it would allow more feature for nice navigation and all. I would like some old cockpits reworked, too (only graphics! only!)

It doesn't look any WW2 filgiht sim project that could surpass FB/AEP/PF going on the world today, and probably there also will not ( but only by Maddox) so I'd suggest investing a bit more on current engine. Year, graphics will be outdated within 2 years but since there won't be any threat in this product.. Then for BoB, the engine will live for next 7 years (so 10 years from now), you need to abstract a lot of things for the future... like in 10 years we may have jyro driven TrackIR so you can lean in the cockpit. Most people will be using today's CRT level LCD or other technology display with minimum 1600 res, and then Longhorn is out (or even perhaps Linux version?) then screen dpi will be higher which will reslove our visivility problem ("dot" problem) somewhat or vastly, and so on and so on... Predicting and preparing for that kind of change in prior is very hard. But IL2 engine has lived for what, 5 years?! So expect next one to live 150% or double span of it! Anyway, BoB next year is simply impossible isn't it?

jimmie_T
10-22-2004, 05:14 AM
Flight sim market is rather small, and look like it's even getting smaller. And this is even including flight "game." In my opinion, IL2 series canNOT be called "flight game" since it is **** too difficult for a "flight game." (we're adopted; I mean how many YEARS have you been playing flight games or sims with sticks?)
However, for one reason being so, a legendary flight sim product lives long. I mean LONG. It's completely different from most other games.
Many people here have played IL2 series like what, maybe over 1000 hours over years, I guess. They are really experts and they still enjoy. Can you believe this? Although as I said, IL2 series is a bit TOO TOUGH for people many, whose limit is at shoot'em flight game, but we WILL propagate what is MORE FUN. The series should and will still sell in coming year*S*. So please pace down a bit for your health but continue to improve.

IMHO, one mistake was free patch. The pacthes should have only fixed or improved sim features themselves but adding bonus planes. Bonus planes should've been pay-addon. By making it so it could've been possible to include 3rd party skins, I guess (not saying default skins not good; I'm mostly happy with them). I know it's impossible now, but it could sort out many complications with 3rd party modelers. People pays $40 for an extra (but incredibly well done) plane for MSFS. BoB could take this kind of approach, I guess (basic plane set and every other extra costs). Yes, this will rise a problem in online game but then SELL THEM to play. Like PF! We're already proparating to buy FB/AEP for PF starters!)

I almost laughed when I saw Microsfot's recruitment for CFS team because of unsuccessful case of CFS3. I don't know if they have found many ambitious, talented programmers and 3D modelers but in anyway you don't believe they will surpass you, do you, seriously?

Philipscdrw
10-22-2004, 09:46 AM
BoB shouldn't be released until everyone is tired of PF. 2 years?