PDA

View Full Version : How much FPS does show3dguners eat....???

Charlie901
11-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Does activating the visble 3d gunners hit FPS negatively enough, at lower than max settings, to not warrant their activation?

What are all of your findings?

EDtheHead6445
11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
It doesnt really have much an effect ive found. But i guess it depends on what other settings your using. Also its also preference- if you can use it all well and good but if you cant then its not a great loss.

Fennec_P
11-05-2004, 08:30 PM
On some of the ships, the little men can make up 1/3 to 1/2 of the total polycount for LOD0.

Each man is 140 triangles. So 30 men would make up 4200, compared to maybe 6000 for the ship.

But since they only show up at close range, the effect is negligable. Unless maybe you happen to park a few carriers side by side; then it could be a problem.

clint-ruin
11-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Should mention that at gunsight view/low FOV those gunners are going to get drawn a -long- way out from the carrier. With 12 aircraft on a carrier deck and support vessels also in view .. then you blow one up and pieces of debris fly into the ocean, the load on your system can go up quite a lot.

3.JG51_BigBear
11-05-2004, 09:01 PM
I haven't had any problems with the 3d gunners yet and I have what I would call a pretty mid range system. FPS seems to have stayed exactly the same, at least there is no visible difference.

clint-ruin
11-05-2004, 09:09 PM
As far as PF goes - it gets very disappointing FPS at low render loads, so unless the FPS drops massively from the load it's not really noticable. 3dgunners, for me, make no difference when it's just the carrier and some planes. In the middle of an attack where planes are being blown off the deck - yes it does.