PDA

View Full Version : How Long have you been flying (IRL)

Krt_Bong
04-21-2007, 06:54 PM
I keep reading posts on this forum where people make statements like this (insert aircraft) sucks or this plane doesn't fly the way it did in real life or this isn't modelled correctly, I'm just curious but how many of you posting this drivel have EVER either flown a real Plane, an Actual Warbird: T-6, P-51, Spitfire, Me109, ANY will do, Hmm? How many and you have to give proof positive you can't just say "yeah I have" I want registrations, Locations, verifiable info that we can look up because if you cant and you are posting this $hit you should stick your head in the nearest toilet and flush. A lot of work went into making this Sim and the amount of mindless whining is just sickening. I see people ask perfectly reasonable questions and get insulted as if there are a bunch of ignorant little teens out there getting there rocks off just making trouble. And I'm sure there are a lot of New to the Sim folks wanting info about planes they want that just don't know - but an equal amount who apparently cant read the writing on the wall who will say Oleg gimme, gimme.
If you really want Oleg to tell us stuff than start behaving like reasonable Adults and maybe he would care to post here occasionally but I'll bet you he's afraid to say or maybe to annoyed to say anything to the ungrateful pissy masses of idiots who do nothing but bash and insult his hard work. I am amazed on a daily basis of the things that people have the unmitigated gall to write in here but still I come because I hope to find something useful in all the rubbish. I've met real P-51 jocks, Guys who own and fly warbirds none of them have the time or inclination to fly this game, why, they have the real thing. If you think the P-51 sucks then you must have flown a real one right? I seriously doubt it and why would Oleg care what you think anyway. If you don't like it go play something else and quit posting about how much you dislike what you don't have the inclination to learn how to do right, real fighterplanes are not easy to fly they are dangerous in the hands of a novice and this isn't an arcade game it supposed to be hard. Many people in this community have the skill and experience to teach others how to be successful if you ask, If all you do is ***** and complain they'll think your a moron and ignore you and you learn nothing,
-my 2 cents

BM357_Sniper
04-21-2007, 08:11 PM
If you think any of us would post our pilot certificate number so that someone can look it up and get every other piece of personal information that comes along with that, well, thats about as smart as this thread. lol

Second, although this is a great sim, there are A LOT of arcadish things about it compared to RL flying and aircraft. So, you're just going to have to deal with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I do, however agree with the part about people getting flamed for asking resonable questions. It's immature and uncalled for. Just ignore it.

Krt_Bong
04-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I dont think I seriously want such personal info but i think you see what I'm feeling after all is said and done it is really just a game intended for personal entertainment and an escape from reality to live out a fighter pilot fantasy, way too often it becomes a childish and disgusting example of how truly moronic people can sink, all charts and graphs aside it is still much better than some of the alternative "games" available

WWSensei
04-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Started flying in 1986/87 as part of the ROTC FIP program at college (via ROTC). That was in 172s. Went USAF after that and flew a variety of aircraft. In terms of WW2 era aircraft I have ridden in the back seat of a 2 seater Mustang for about an hour but was too stoked to remember much except the sheer thrill of sitting in it and it was long before sims came out so I can't really tell you if it matched the sim.

I have about 30 hours in a Texan (T-6), about 10-12 hours in a T-34, about 8 hours in a Yak-18 and officially 30 minutes in a B-25 with one landing and one takeoff though the reality was I was crawling all over inside the B-25 once we were wheels up so I don't really have any "flight time".

My license isn't current and won't be whilst I have two kids in college. I bootloeg a few hours with friends from time to time.

Most of my military flying friends look at sims as childish video games. They are so far removed from what the live day to day they can't relate. They think I'm an idiot for "wasting my time" on them. A lot of my civilian flying friends will fly Microsoft FS 2004/FSX because of all the real world procedural and airport approach practice you can do with it.

PBNA-Boosher
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I've got about two years of experience in Cessna 152's/172's, Piper Cherokee 140's and 180's. They're fun little planes!

Viper2005_
04-23-2007, 04:32 AM
I've logged some time in a Stearman, and will get my first hop in a T-6 in a month or so. Getting my hands on a fighter will probably take rather longer, but I'm still young, so I've got time...

Blood_Splat
04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Well I jumped off my garage while flapping my arms, if that counts for anything.

bazzaah2
04-23-2007, 11:10 AM
got plenty of hours in 747s and others, economy class.

LStarosta
04-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Maybe you want my date of birth and social security number to prove that I p00n and I have 1337 hours in a P-51 which I keep in my garage and fly to church on Sundays.

5/24/1987

034-54-8831

WWSensei
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
Maybe you want my date of birth and social security number to prove that I p00n and I have 1337 hours in a P-51 which I keep in my garage and fly to church on Sundays.

5/24/1987

034-54-8831

I call BS LStarosta. Everyone knows you're so old you fart sand. No way your SSN is over say....6. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG53_Valantine
04-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Ive got about 170 hours in a Bulldog and about 60 in a Cessna but havent flown for over 2 years now due to the costs involved over here in Blighty!

p-11.cAce
04-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I posted my RL flight experience in March - here it is again:

Microlights (powered) - 11 years, 300+ hours; Microlights (unpowered HG) - 5 years, 250+ hours; Various GA aircraft (Cessna, Diamond, Piper including Pawnee)3 years, 184 hours; Sailplane (Pw-5 & L-23) 3 years, 113 hours.

I also had an hour flight in the back seat of an L-39 - the only thing I remember other than where the sick bag was is trying not to touch any of the red and white striped handles and the location of the ejection re-sequencer switch which has to be used in the event both crew try to punch out at the same time.

The only RL experience that comes even close to what we fly in sim is my Pawnee time - and then only because it is a tail dragger with a decent amount of power for its weight.

T_O_A_D
04-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Well I've got to be listened too, I got a whole 30 minutes in a AT-6 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Link in my sig

FlyFisher73
04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I started flying in 1995. I have about 350 hrs and a multi-engine instrument rating with tailwheel endorsement. The late 90's were great...100LL for $1.80/gallon...now it is $3.50-$4.50/gallon. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Sims are getting better as our computers become more powerful, but they will never be able replicte the physical effects on the body (disorientaion, g-forces, nausea)

Sims are not perfect, but at least you can drink beer while you fly and not get in trouble with the FAA.

VFS-214_Hawk
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I have logged more hours crashing than you guys have total! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif J/K

3,500 total time of which most is in taildraggers. Flown J-3 N, Fairchild 24 N27VX, Aeronca Sedan, 1,000 hours in a Cessna 180J N9979N, Stinson L-5 N??174, Various Maules including a turbine Maule, Cessna 120, Howard DGA, Yale BT-14, Tiger Moth, and many more. I have been very lucky to have been able to fly such aircraft! If you want more N numbers, I will get out my logbook!

Currently building an 82% scale 1932 Curtiss P-6E Hawk.

A "computer game" will never match real life flying....in my lifetime anyway! IL-2 is as good as it gets! Thanks Oleg!

Bearcat99
04-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
Most of my military flying friends look at sims as childish video games. They are so far removed from what the live day to day they can't relate. They think I'm an idiot for "wasting my time" on them. A lot of my civilian flying friends will fly Microsoft FS 2004/FSX because of all the real world procedural and airport approach practice you can do with it.

Yeah a lot of mine do too... flying and non flying. I figure what the hey.. They dont know.

Sillius_Sodus
04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
30 yrs and 16000+hrs, sorry no warbirds.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

timholt
04-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Just under 400 hours, approx 350 of which are aerobatics. Majority in a 152 Aerobat with the occasional spins (pun intended)in a 2 seater Pitts and a CJ6A.

FlyFisher73
04-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey, compared to Microprose's F-15 Strike Eagle on the Apple IIe, I am pretty happy with IL2 as far as combat flight sims go. Also, as much as some individuals rip on flight sims, the fact is that IRL flying is so freaking expensive it may be the closest many people can get to piloting an aircraft. Flying is plenty expensive in the US, but it is relatively cheap here compared to flying in Europe.

Oh, by the way...up until recently, the FAA used our social security number as our certificate #. Sorry dude, you will just have to trust us.

erco415
04-24-2007, 10:12 AM
7000+ hours. Some notables: J3, Ercoupe, T-34, Stearman, PT-22, C-47, Pa-38, Pitts, Be1900, Lears, Citations, Wacos, and lots others. Some a lot, others just a hour or two. What's great about this sim isn't how well they got the P-51 or 109 right, it's how many times I find myself thinking, 'Wow! That's how it really looks!'. Examples: Oleg's water 3, the way the sun shines off of it, is exactly how it looks in real life. Or, even though the clouds usually have a way to go, sometime, when I'm maneuvering and using my Tir to pan around, the way the clouds look in relation to distance and background is just right. I can only assume that it's getting better with BOB.

Stackhouse25th
04-24-2007, 10:44 AM
2003, just shy of 350 hours

Woof603
04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Posted before, but what the hell: 35 years, 25K+, initial training, first solo, gunnery and instrument school on T6 1952, T33, F86, C45, C47/DC3, Viscount, Electra, B707, DC8, B727, DC9, L1011. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Steven190
04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Started flying 1964

Total of 1600+ hours all cilivan planes
not current at this time

slappedsilly
04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
5 years in an ultralight.