PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane MkI 1938

IronKestrel
02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi all.
This bird is making me crazy. I get the geometry right and get on my target, then the 8 .303 Brownings just dont do any damage against a fighter! Sometimes I get lucky and hit the engine or wingroot, but most the time I run out of ammo and watch the 109 or Val fly home!

It seems the pattern of the 303's is very dispersed. I use a convergence of 150m.

Im not the best at using rudder for final aiming, but even so...

Any tips for making best use of the 303's on early Hurricances? Im at mission 12 or so on Extreme_One's and Poymando's BOB and unless I learn how to aim these things, once I have to deal with many ME109s as in the BoB, I can't really advance.

For what its worth, I have a personal goal of making the early mark Hurri deadly in my hands, since that will onlymake canon work all the more deadly for me. Most ac armed with canon I have no problems with. But these 303's are making a problem.

Any .303 tips?

I've been doing QMBs with the Hurricane MkI or MkII with 303s only vs Vals (D3A1) for practice. They shoot back from rear gunner and are slow, so they make a good fighter sized target. I sooo need to master 303's. Then the 50's will make perfect sense, i reckon.

Thanks for your input. <S>

BuzzardHead
02-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Most pilots that flew the hurricane mk1b set their convergence at 300m.A .303 sounds like a small round,but at 600' and the high rate of fire you are on the recieving end of 6 lbs.of lead per second.I've blown the wings off of He 111's with my convergence set at 250m.

Happy hunting,
Buzzard

danjama
02-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Shoot at the distance you have your convergence set to if you can.

All i can say is aim for parts you know will break the plane. Dont go shootin the fuselage (although its fun to kill gunners) shoot at engines, wings and control surfaces.

IronKestrel
02-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Interesting.

So maybe i should use range with 303s? Up close the 303 is a scatter gun. Ill try the 300m range with some Vals.

Ofcourse, the ideal is to take out me109 and bf110's with the hurricane.

Spitfires were there to take the heavier bombers. No?

danjama
02-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by IronKestrel:
Interesting.

So maybe i should use range with 303s? Up close the 303 is a scatter gun. Ill try the 300m range with some Vals.

Ofcourse, the ideal is to take out me109 and bf110's with the hurricane.

Spitfires were there to take the heavier bombers. No?

No...

Spitfires went for the fighters because of their speed and maneuverability, Hurri's went for bombers because they were more rugger and had good concentrated firepower!

.303's should have a convergence of 250m at least, and the same goes for other mg's like 50cal, you can shoot farther out with Mg's and still get results

CornbreadPattie
02-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Set your rudder trim and elevator trim before combat. Ten aim for the engine if you are against Messerschmitts. You can exploit head-ons with your firepower because of the chance of PK. Set convergence to at least 250, but 300 would be better since your Hurricane is slower then most other opponents the Germans will send up at you.

REMEMBER: AIM FOR THE ENGINE AND THE 109 WILL POUR BLACK SMOKE

Xiolablu3
02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
GET CLOSER.

Thats is the only advice you need. The closer you get, the less rounds miss the target.

Dont shoot until 200m or closer.

blakduk
02-19-2006, 06:34 PM
IronKestrel- it may depend on what you have been flying previously.
Prior to trying out the excellent Battle over Britain campaign (love your work guys, i'm still enjoying it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif) i had spent a lot of time using cannon armed planes. With them if you line up your target properly you can get a kill with a very quick burst.
I find with the 303's i have to maintain my fire on the target for about 2 seconds to guarantee a kill.
With a cannon 'get close' is enough.
With a 303 you have to 'get close and stay close'.
I've saved some tracks of my kills in the Mk1 Hurricane and have looked in wonder at the amount of damage you have to inflict with a 303 to destroy your opponent.

Friendly_flyer
02-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Convergence is a matter of preference. I am quite happy with using 120 meters and hold fire until the enemy fighter span the reticule (which about match the convergence distance). You also need to go at it a bit from the side. Hitting a fighter directly from behind won't accomplish much.

Against bombers this is dangerous, as the gunner will get you. Come in from above or front at full speed.

mynameisroland
02-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by IronKestrel:
Hi all.
This bird is making me crazy. I get the geometry right and get on my target, then the 8 .303 Brownings just dont do any damage against a fighter! Sometimes I get lucky and hit the engine or wingroot, but most the time I run out of ammo and watch the 109 or Val fly home!

It seems the pattern of the 303's is very dispersed. I use a convergence of 150m.

Im not the best at using rudder for final aiming, but even so...

Any tips for making best use of the 303's on early Hurricances? Im at mission 12 or so on Extreme_One's and Poymando's BOB and unless I learn how to aim these things, once I have to deal with many ME109s as in the BoB, I can't really advance.

For what its worth, I have a personal goal of making the early mark Hurri deadly in my hands, since that will onlymake canon work all the more deadly for me. Most ac armed with canon I have no problems with. But these 303's are making a problem.

Any .303 tips?

I've been doing QMBs with the Hurricane MkI or MkII with 303s only vs Vals (D3A1) for practice. They shoot back from rear gunner and are slow, so they make a good fighter sized target. I sooo need to master 303's. Then the 50's will make perfect sense, i reckon.

Thanks for your input. <S>

It is tough trying to bring down aircraft in the Hurricane I, my best advice against Bf 109's is to set your convergence to 200/250 m and to aim for the engine and cockpit - anywhere else and you will waste all of your ammo on one enemy.

Try and avoud shooting from directly behind your opponent, its best to fire when the Bf 109 is turning or is climbing and is exposing more of their aircraft. An accurate 1/2 a second burst is enough to badly damage a Bf 109's engine where it will be trailing black smoke and have only 5mins left to live. But my favourite spot to aim is for the cockpit. The spread of the .303s is an advantage here you just need to aim in the general area and if the Bf is dogfighting with you the top of his canopy will be presented to aim at. All you need is one little bullet to enter the pilot and you will the fight.