PDA

View Full Version : For Ubisoft: How to Stop Pirating

s3kShUn7
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Want to know the best way to stop pirating? Go to all the pirating sites, demonoid, etc, and post your game a week early with a crack. But, this crack only allows you to finish 20% of the game. People basically get a demo, and then buy the full game. Trust me, it would work. Or, you could make a huge aspect of the game online gameplay. Why do you think nobody pirated TF2? Just some sugguestions, because honestly, you're anti-piracy methods are just angering would-be buyers (AKA ME)

InfernalTyrant
01-19-2010, 12:01 AM
It's a good idea in theory, but it probably wouldn't work. People would find ways around it, and I don't see any publisher doing this.
Also, you're admitting to game piracy here (unless I misread), I don't see you lasting long.

Captain Tomatoz
01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
if this is about the delaying of the pc version, they didnt delay it because of piracy issues, they delayed it because the game didnt work very well so it needed more time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mantledarcanum
01-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Welcome to what happened with AC1. Jerusalem was borked in it all...but the pirates found a way to fix it.

akirainblack
01-19-2010, 04:03 AM
The best way to stop piracy is to actually offer some form of technical support. That way people are happy to pay for the game. I'm currently still trying to get some form of technical support from Ubisoft for this game (I started asking on the 23/11/09) and the only 3 responses thus far has been to ask me to post here (twice now, once on 25/11/09 to which I said I had and then again on 24/12/09) and the other to try the patch which suprise suprise didn't address the problems I'd outlined. I've had absolutely no technical support from them whatsoever and it's just farcical. They've stated DLC for Jan and Feb and now stated AC3 should be out by the end of their next fiscal year but haven't resolved alot of issues with AC2. I can't blame anyone for pirating it they at least will get what they paid for.

caswallawn_2k7
01-19-2010, 04:24 AM
all I can say is a hit and a miss, even MMO's get pirated it's not hard to make your own servers, as for the thing making the crack stopping you from beating the game, it's been done it's been beaten.

anti piracy is a cat and mouse game the only way to stop it is a system similar to the PS3 with a heavily locked down system and a difficult storage media stopping people from being able to do anything. as long as PC's are the way they are you will never stop piracy you can only slow it down but eventually some1 will break it.

hell even look at the Wii, 360, DS and PSP you can pirate on them all just some are harder than others then you have versions inside version making it harder as some1 will eventually find a way round it. it's surprising the PS3 has managed to go this long without being cracked.

InfernalTyrant
01-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
hell even look at the Wii, 360, DS and PSP you can pirate on them all just some are harder than others then you have versions inside version making it harder as some1 will eventually find a way round it. it's surprising the PS3 has managed to go this long without being cracked. The DSi was out for less than a week before people made flashcarts for it. Zelda Spirit Tracks had a pretty good anti-piracy system on it, you couldn't control the train. Only took 3 days of the ROM being available before somebody made a patch for it. So you're right, people are ALWAYS going to find a way to hack a system, I too am surprised that the PS3 has been safe this whole time.

cgdemon894
01-19-2010, 05:11 AM
pirated versions of batman arkham asylum disabled the use of the jump action= unplayable

akirainblack
01-19-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm not in the least bit suprised that the PS3 hasn't been hacked yet. The encryption used is incredibly complex. I mean they've only recently cracked 768 bit RSA encryption. The PS3 uses 1024 IIRR so it's no mean feat. Oh and it hasn't been safe the whole time, however the second a whiff of an exploit is mentioned Sony lock it down with a firmware update.

caswallawn_2k7
01-19-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm not in the least bit suprised that the PS3 hasn't been hacked yet.
it is actually very surprising with how much access the PS3 gives PSP's when they link up and considering the PS3 OS is only a slightly different version of the PSP OS. they both use more or less the same base and encryption methods just no one has found a way to overload the memory allowing unsigned code to run in the unprotected section of the memory, this is why on the old PSP 1.5FW you needed 2 files to run your own code on the system as it needed a file to pass the security then you file with what ever you made in it.

but to be honest console hacking could be heavily avoided if the system allowed people to run home made code, so they can make their own games, this is what pushes console hacking then some1 takes it too far, another saving factor of the PS3 is the old versions could run linux and blu-ray java allowing home made code without ever being able to run the games since your working outside the PS3 OS.

Dragonfire126
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
This is a hard but effective solution:
Step 1: Stop making games for PC for about 1-3 years. (Note: the time is an example! Could be more, or less...)

Step 2: After the long break, release an older game for PC from which the profit has already been made through console sales.

Step 3: If the game gets spotted on a pirating site, disable all active copies and return to Step 1.

The ONLY person who would whine about this procedure would be the hardcore PC gamer who gets backstabbed by their fellow PC gamers who pirate the game(s).

And ofcourse the people who pirate the games.

Ant__.
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Taken from the Forum Rules:

Discussion of software piracy in any of its forms is strictly not allowed on these boards

Topic Closed.