PDA

View Full Version : AGP Aperture settings.

Bamatt
04-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I have seen two different opinions on this. Some have said that it should be set at half of what your system RAM is, and another that says it should be set to equal the amount of video RAM.

Anyone know what this should really be set at?

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-01-2005, 05:01 PM
On todays systems 128MB is the place to be.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
It's not that easy.

You got to understand that aparature size is the amount of system memory (RAM) assigned ADDITIONALLY to the graphics card. That does sound good on first look, but isn't.
1. The more system RAM you use for grafix, the slower your PC gets => All data moved from the memory to gfx-card has to pass the processor.
2. Memory assigned to gfx-card is reserved for that purpose only. That means setting it to 256MB on a 512MB System with 256MB onboard gfx-memory leaves 256MB of your RAM for Windows, SystemProcesses and the game you're running! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
3. Acces to that memory slows down your gfx-card too. It literally has to wait for the information from the system RAM. Textures and data stored onboard can be processed without delay by the onboad chip.

There is no such thing as "best setting". It depends on your gfx-card, memory, mainboard, chipset and prozessor - basically your whole rig. the maximum for modern cards should be 128MB, though. Anything above that causes mouselag, stutters and delays. I achieved best results with my 9800pro with 32MB-setting, with my 6800GT I have it set to 128.

LuckyBoy1
04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
See Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users for an explaination as to how to set yout AGP apeture size.