PDA

View Full Version : FW-190 Convergance

Sillius_Sodus
11-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi,

I downloaded a translation of a 1944 FW-190 manual from this forum a while back and finally had a look at it. I was surprised to see that the mg's were set to 400m convergence and the cannons 550m, which is considerably further out than most players have them set for according to what I have read here (I usually have mine set to 200 meters).

I will try the new settings but I was wondering if anyone out there is using the 400m/550m convergence.

Billy_DeLyon
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Those convergences might be useful for shooting bombers & living to tell about it..

M_Gunz
11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Especially when you attack head on. Try waiting to 150m when your combined merge is over
300m per second.

BnZ and all high closure rate tactics requires shooting from longer range at least for those
pilots who want to survive the experience.

beNdeR__
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Also remember that for the 190, the machine guns and the wing root cannons are fairly close to the center-line of the plane, so the convergence for these guns wouldn't be as extreme as it was for the cannons in the outer wings. I agree with the long convergence being useful for attacking bombers, and especially for attacking those low flying groups of Sturmoviks from outside the effective range of the gunners.

ytareh
11-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Despite being a 100m convergence disciple I can see the sense of this when attacking planes with gunners in particular....however youre gonna have to learn to extra compensate for bullet drop (and online lag?)

slipBall
11-13-2008, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
Hi,

I downloaded a translation of a 1944 FW-190 manual from this forum a while back and finally had a look at it. I was surprised to see that the mg's were set to 400m convergence and the cannons 550m, which is considerably further out than most players have them set for according to what I have read here (I usually have mine set to 200 meters).

I will try the new settings but I was wondering if anyone out there is using the 400m/550m convergence.

Yes Sillius
These are the setting's that I have been using on the 190's and 109's that I fly...they are devastating, and effective!

JV44_Wubke
11-13-2008, 05:39 AM
I've had the best luck with mine set at 750m, even though I don't usually shoot beyond 300m except on bombers

M_Gunz
11-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Despite being a 100m convergence disciple I can see the sense of this when attacking planes with gunners in particular....however youre gonna have to learn to extra compensate for bullet drop (and online lag?)

Please explain to me how to avoid ramming when you only start shooting with a second or two at
most before you collide?

Close converge is fine if you ride close or at co-speed. It gets great results then.
What it also does is limit your tactics severely.

zardozid
11-13-2008, 06:16 AM
One, aside, I feel a need to add here for any newbies...is that the "way out" convergence settings (400-500 meters) will only be effective with cannons. With the machine guns its better to keep the convergence at a manageable distance...

Brain32
11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I use 500m convergence on FW's for years, I don't know how useful it was IRL, but in game it elevates the bullet drop a bit so one can kind of compensate for criminally obstructed gunsight...

Sillius_Sodus
11-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the replies,

I'm flying the 190 with the new convergence settings and they work well. 400m for mg's and 550m for the inboard cannon are efeective against fighters. The horizontal spread is small so you only have to deal with the different ballistic trajectories at longer ranges. That said it's hard to hit a maneuvering target that far away so againt fighters I usually fire from 250m but even at ranges of 150m or less, the mg's and inboard cannon do the job nicely. The biggest adjustment is learning how to hit at 300m+ range.

ytareh
11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Please explain to me how to avoid ramming when you only start shooting with a second or two at
most before you collide?

Well Gunz Id be lying if I said I never collide but I guess you just have to avoid becoming fixated on the enemy and swerve(but not always necessary to do so sharply)
Its hard in 600/700kmh dives on unsuspecting enemies but can be done.

WTE_Galway
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
Thanks for the replies,
The biggest adjustment is learning how to hit at 300m+ range.

I used to fly the 190A8 (mk108 wing cannon) offline against bombers a lot with 500 metres convergence. In the end it was relatively straightforward to hit at any range from 100m out to 700m or more in a level tail chase shooting slightly above at longer ranges and just under when closer than 500m.

Head on against bombers its best to open up with mg and 20mm from about 1000m or so and kick the mk108's in at about 600m. My preference when approaching bombers head on was to pass just under the bomber and then zoom climb and wing over back in an Immelman of sorts for a second pass from behind but that is just a personal choice.

On the other hand deflection shooting at 500 meters is just silly. Awesome when you hit but more luck than science at that range.

Sillius_Sodus
11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
[/QUOTE]On the other hand deflection shooting at 500 meters is just silly. Awesome when you hit but more luck than science at that range.[/QUOTE]

Indeed WTE_Galway, I don't fire at a maneuvering single engined aircraft beyond 250m and I don't hit too often at that range. With twins i.e BF-110, I can hit out to about 300m as long as I'm not pulling too much G.

M_Gunz
11-13-2008, 04:45 PM
BnZ, you don't want to be turning -- if he sees you coming then you've blown the run.
I'll put that first ranging burst (just a blip) at 400 to 500 and in the time that gets to
the target, hit or not I'm already 50 to 100m closer needing to correct and fire for effect.
2 or 3 seconds total time from the first burst and I need to avoid ramming, that's about 200m
out. With perfect line-up I could get 1/2 second or less burst starting from 250m with no
chance to correct aim and still get hits.

Machineguns are not sniper rifles. They are MUCH easier to hit long range targets with when
correction of fire is used. They are very interactive weapons, be sure! I'd purely love to
get out on a firing range with you guys, for one it would get me back onto the range and for
two it would change some ideas and we could have beer afterwards.

TS_Sancho
11-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Remember that MG on FW is centerline mounted so no convergence, only bullet drop.I use 150 meters on MG/131's and 200 meters on cannon.Thats hitting a spitfire sized target spanning half the width of the reticle which is about as far out as I can hope to have an actual solution in a deflection shot as opposed to shooting toward the target and hoping.No matter what the range when the MG/151's hit in the convegence box things get destroyed as opposed to blowing 20mm chunks randomley hitting inside/outside convergence and bleading them to death.I've used 500 meters for the 30mm's just for bombers in the past and have had good results in headons and tail chases but noticably fewer kills when any deflection factored in.

FatCat_99
11-14-2008, 02:00 AM
I think I tried any possible convergence combination in FW and I ended with 500m for MG & inner cannons and 300m for outboard cannons.

That give hard punch at closer range and nice shotgun effect for deflection shooting at long ranges.

FW have so much ammo that I more often run out of fuel than ammo so I don't see any reason why not to shoot at anything that moves in ranges less than 700m.

In fact I rather have 90deg shot at 500m than straight six at 300m.

FC

K_Freddie
11-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:

most before you collide?

Close converge is fine if you ride close or at co-speed. It gets great results then.
What it also does is limit your tactics severely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know of course that you don't have to shoot only at convergence distance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif One invariably does ...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

M_Gunz
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
When one is closing on the target then it's a real possibility! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just pointing out that convergence settings affect and are affected by the kind of fighting
you will be doing. That should be a matter of what you are flying and what the enemy has
rather than simple preference so there is no single good one-size-fits-all answer. What
happens if you try and fly co-speed with turning Spit V's in a 190A-5 for instance? Short
converge, 150m or less and you have no long range option worth spit. With 200+m converge
at least my fire stays less than one wingspan out to twice that.. I can correct for drop.

Yeah the FW is one of the Kings of BnZ! It's my kind of maximum guns fighters!