PDA

View Full Version : Combat in Assassin's Creed

Minx777
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Personally, I liked very much the AC1 combat, you could die so it made it so much realistic and really seted you on, but the combos in the next two were also impresive, so a mix of that would be the perfect match for an awesome combat experience in my opinion

I've made a poll just to know what we all think about it, since this is a central point in the game

K see ya fellas,
Minx

Minx777
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Personally, I liked very much the AC1 combat, you could die so it made it so much realistic and really seted you on, but the combos in the next two were also impresive, so a mix of that would be the perfect match for an awesome combat experience in my opinion

I've made a poll just to know what we all think about it, since this is a central point in the game

K see ya fellas,
Minx

fireberet
05-04-2011, 02:38 AM
the problem is not the combat is the enemy AI

Razrback16
05-04-2011, 07:09 AM
I liked both AC2 & ACB combat systems. I'd like to see something in between. I'd like the ability to block while only having knives equipped like we had in AC2. I also liked being able to easy throw knives if you had a certain distance from the enemy like you could in AC1. Love the kill-streaking system in ACB. It's just freakin' epic. Would love to see more missions where you get to fight an entire army like you did in ACB during the Caterina mission. (wish there had been more guys to fight at the end of ACB as well)

ballsackboy
05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I'd say to keep the fighting from brotherhood..
It's pretty nice and fast http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ypsan
05-05-2011, 08:10 AM
I also like how its easier to die in AC because other NPCs don't just stand and watch while you take them down 1 by 1, but you also have less execution animations and no kill streak which made combat in ACB more fluid and intense. The only thing I miss in ACB are more agressive NPCs and easier way to die.

Also, it would be nice if we could choose our secondary weapon for those double executions in the future. I.e. wield a blade and still have an option to use gun as a secondary.

iN3krO
05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I think you should mix the combat system from brotherhood except being able to use hidden blade as if it was a sword (but keep the combos of hidden blade please) and make some IA things from ac1 (like when soldiers got guard down like when they cought) and take the guys screaming on the ground if you don't JAB them with a sword, short blade (if it's not an execution)

Minx777
05-05-2011, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ypsan:
I also like how its easier to die in AC because other NPCs don't just stand and watch while you take them down 1 by 1, but you also have less execution animations and no kill streak which made combat in ACB more fluid and intense. The only thing I miss in ACB are more agressive NPCs and easier way to die. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly man, npcs just kept staring... bah.

MilenSRB
05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I didn't like AC2 combat system,mostly because of the AI.I mean they hit you hundreds of times and you block every one of them.And they are too slow not aggressive at all,I mean not like in AC Brotherhood.

StrikeBR_1967
05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I played all 3 games, but AC2 and ACB made me glued on keyboard for long hours ( my last ACB took 37 hours to achieve 100% sinc ) the combat in ACB exceed a lot from AC2 i only miss that powerful strike with the long swoed from AC1 ( when u hold the Left Mouse Button ).
the rest, ACB is awesome.

DCAustin007
08-14-2011, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ypsan:
I also like how its easier to die in AC because other NPCs don't just stand and watch while you take them down 1 by 1, but you also have less execution animations and no kill streak which made combat in ACB more fluid and intense. The only thing I miss in ACB are more agressive NPCs and easier way to die.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So would you say the fighting is relatively easy in ACB? How are the boss fights?

Ureh
08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I would say that AC1's combat system lacked variety. Otherwise it surpassed the other two systems in difficulty which I like. But if you have a system like AC1 where it was repetitive and harder (when compared to AC2 and ACB), people will find it simply boring and frustrating. I prefer something that is difficult but also exciting. The AC2 and ACB systems had variety and fluidity, but in the process they also added things to make it easier (eg: more time to counter, unaggressive enemies, kicking, medicine, armor, impenetrable blocks, etc). As a result, AC2 and ACB combat was exciting at first because of all the improvement but then you realize how easy it is... at which point it loses a lot of its luster.

I'm hoping for a fusion of all the good stuff.

Calvarok
08-21-2011, 02:48 AM

Also, it would be nice if we could choose our secondary weapon for those double executions in the future. I.e. wield a blade and still have an option to use gun as a secondary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, that's exactly how NPCs reacted in AC1. replay it. they always attack you one by one, and if they attack when you're in a counter aniamtion, they can't damage you. they can damage you in a counter animation in Brotherhood. It's actually better than AC1/2 in many ways that people never notice.

And Ubisoft has talked about allowing you to choose what secondary you have for what weapon. We don't know how it will work, yet.

adarwinter
08-22-2011, 06:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ureh:
I would say that AC1's combat system lacked variety. Otherwise it surpassed the other two systems in difficulty which I like. But if you have a system like AC1 where it was repetitive and harder (when compared to AC2 and ACB), people will find it simply boring and frustrating. I prefer something that is difficult but also exciting. The AC2 and ACB systems had variety and fluidity, but in the process they also added things to make it easier (eg: more time to counter, unaggressive enemies, kicking, medicine, armor, impenetrable blocks, etc). As a result, AC2 and ACB combat was exciting at first because of all the improvement but then you realize how easy it is... at which point it loses a lot of its luster.

I'm hoping for a fusion of all the good stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's very true.

AC1 had a few very good ideas that got lost.

in AC1 u had guards that could both block AND dodge AND counter (like the templars) so they were less predictable.

in AC1 u had block breakers so if u kept your guard for too long enemies would break it and attack. it forced the player to be slightly more ready and not just hold guard forever.

in AC1 u had power attacks. slow but powerful. that was cool.

in AC1 the timing window for counters was smaller so slow and fast attacks from enemies could through a player off timing. countering was more meaningful since it was a risk-reward kinda thing. in AC2 and ACB counters were too easy.

in AC1 enemies could grab and through altair so that was another thing u had to be ready for.

in all AC games combat is really really really REALLY easy. one can overcome 1000 guards if he wants to because health regenerates.

in AC2 and ACB only the last diamond used to regenerate. this tiny feature ruined combat for me. getting hit once in a while isnt dangerous at all since i would never lose that last bit of health. i could always block for 3 seconds and have it regenerate. and if there were a few brutes i'd just run around for 3 seconds.

ACB had a better combat over AC2, almost in all aspects. the instant kill combos of jumping from one kill to another is cute, but it is so incredibly easy to pull off it, AGAIN, made combat even easier than ever.
and being able to carry so many health potions that dont even have drinking animations... it was like the terminator fighting ants. the AI never stood a chance...
Now, in AC:R i see ezio can toss bombs to kill AIs without even fighting....

The AC games could be beaten by 12 year old blind none gamer girls and i hate being treated like i dont know how to play!

my answer -
i want a challenge!! it doesnt have to be DMC but just bring block breakers BACK (for the AI. i know ezio had kicks in ACB) and narrow the counter windows and make the ezio DIE when health reaches 0 and not have a last diamond regen all the time.
allow a harder difficulty mode so these 3 changes could turn the game on it's head.

AC is about stealth and combat but there is absolutely no need for stealth in this game since combat can solve all of your problems much much more easily. only in missions that force stealth down your throat made me go stealthy. this must be changed.
in a stealth game there needs to be a value for stealth. in AC stealth is meaningless.
enemies are meaningless. money is meaningless.
everything is off balance completely, all catering for the softest casual gamers out there.

catering for kids and none gamers is perfectly fine... IF THERE WERE DIFFICULTY LEVELS. but there arent, so we will ever be frustrated with the lack of balance in combat. UBI doesnt want balance, depth or challenge. they want a game everyone can beat.

with THIS i can not live and this is why i will likely not even BUY AC:R this year. will maybe wait for a price drop or till a friend finishes with the game and gives it to me.