PDA

View Full Version : P38 Help

Sniper62_267
03-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Need help understanding the limitions of the P38. I mean what she can and can't do compared to the top driven single engine fighters. Can it fight with the best of them or is it more of a bomber and gound attack aircraft. an directions to discussions on her would be nice. also there seems to be a L and J model want are the differences in them both Thanks in advance.

F19_Ob
03-25-2005, 09:52 AM
The L variant have divebrakes and u have to assign a button to it in settings.
The brakes helps in dives to avoid overspeed wich is something to be carefull with and to a certain extent also improves turning for a while.
The J model is slightly faster if I recall correctly.

Its very difficult to fly compared to most other planes and cant compete against the 109 or fw190 unless u are an expert, but even then u would struggle.
The fw190 is the most equal of the two because of its problems at slow speeds in close combat, partly because of its forward visibility.
The strongest points of the fw190 is the exellent guns and its speed and superior roll wich the experts often use.
A trick wich is hard to counter for the p38 is when the fw turn in one direction and the suddenly rolls and turn the other way and the p38 cant follow even if the turn is somewhat comparable.

The 109 can do everything better in all speeds and if rquipped with the 30mm canon one hit usually is enough to stop a p38 from fighting.

----------------------------------------------

Against zeros and slower japanese planes the p38 can be flown successfully in combat even if the pilot is average.
The trick is that u can outspeed them and thus choose the moment to strike or leave.
Dont underestimate skillful zero pilots though.
They know they cant catch u and will anticipate your pass so they get atleast one snapshot at u.
Even if the p38 is fast it cant outrun cannonshells and bullets.
---------------------------------------

My only suggestion is to keep your energy up and try to use the clouds effectively.
I have often been able to reverse a fight or escape with the aid of clouds.
That cant be done in the open so easily against german opponents.

my thoughts.

VW-IceFire
03-25-2005, 10:34 AM
P-38 can be used to great effect against single engine fighters. I've managed to surprise even Ki-84s and Yak-3s in the random dogfight servers. The P-38, if you have a really good feel for things, can fly slow speed very well. Not as well as the real thing but nearly so.

Basically, you want to do this.
1) Get some alt
2) Look for targets
3) Try and bring the targets upto you. Diving is bad because of its compressability problems at higher speeds
4) If you have alot of speed and need to dump it in the L version, deploy the dive brakes for a second to reduce speed. You can outmanuver some types of enemies through this.
5) If you get caught low level, try and speed away or, if its a P-47 or a FW190 or something like that, try and turn fight with it...you can win.
6) Use combat flaps. They are the "fowler" type flaps which are superb for combat manuvering.

ClnlSandersLite
03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Take a look at il2compare if you haven't already.

Sniper62_267
03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Anyone have a working link to IL2 compare. The one listed in Essentials doesn't seem to be working.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#014

This is for hardball's aircraft viewer. Very nice easy to use little program.