PDA

View Full Version : In-game animated characters

Sgt_2Bristo
04-29-2006, 07:16 AM
I know that a while back there was a discusion concerning Il2/PF and BF 1942. But what I'm discussing is maybe in the add ons or updates why don't they animate characters. Characters like soldiers (getting out of vehicles or fighting on the battlefield) and towns people.
They don't have to be too detailed, Imean if any has play Codename: Panzers which uses alot of animated characters getting into vehicles, setting up artilery, fighting in bunkers and tanks and alos on land.

FritzGryphon
04-29-2006, 07:29 AM
The guys that flee from vehicles convoys are animated. So is the pilot when he bails out, runs and faceplants.

Feathered_IV
04-29-2006, 07:34 AM
If only we had the little running man as a waypoint-placeable figure in FMB. Then we could have them running about all over the place. Probably have to class them as a vehicle though, to fit the current code.

Sgt_2Bristo
04-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Ye there are animated characters who do run out of vehicles and jump out of planes, but what do they do? They run, jump and hit the deck then disappear. What I'm talking about is more like something from what I said previously, Codename panzers

http://barnens.pp.se/multimedia/2004/ke_media/bilder/codename_panzers07.jpg

Not only in the characters but also in the vehicles and the way they move.

It may not appeal to the gamers, but to the film makers who use this game, it eould greatly benefit

FI-Skipper
04-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Would definatley be cool to see mechanics and pilots and others running round while you strafe the airfield!Defintaely add to the immersion but probably kill the framerates http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Worth a try though...

Skipper

AKA_TAGERT
04-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Sgt_2Bristo:
I know that a while back there was a discusion concerning Il2/PF and BF 1942. But what I'm discussing is maybe in the add ons or updates why don't they animate characters. Characters like soldiers (getting out of vehicles or fighting on the battlefield) and towns people.
They don't have to be too detailed, Imean if any has play Codename: Panzers which uses alot of animated characters getting into vehicles, setting up artilery, fighting in bunkers and tanks and alos on land. My guess would be because the focus of this product is on flight simulation not character simulation.. just a guess though.

WWMaxGunz
04-30-2006, 06:36 PM
When there is enough punch in PC power then you never know do you?

Something able to run simultaneous SOW and like what the Maddox RTS looked like on ground.

AKA_TAGERT
04-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Even with more PC power it wont happen.. due to the economic limitations.

FACT: Given a fixed amount of time and money, you will always produce a better product if you limit the scope of your product.

In English, If you try to make a simulation that does everything, you will end up with a simulation that does alot of things well, but nothing great.

The conflict being, flight sim users demand greatness.

So, the economics of it all forces flight sim makers focus on FLIGHT! That is to say the more time and money you spend on making little guys running around, the less time and money you will have to spend on aircraft related stuff.

Only way around the economic limitations is if someone were to make a truly portable/scalable game engine that another game can use as a starting point and or base and just add the game they want to make to it. The game engine would also have to be generic enough to take advantage of new graphics card technology that would not result in a total rework of the existing 3D art.

That is to say if someone made a WWII FPS with a fixxed amount of time and money, and once it was done that engine could be used by another company could take that engine and add in a flight sim, and so on and so on. Than and only than would we be able break the economic limitations and have it all.

All in all a very tall order, so until that day, the best we will be able to get is the likes of BF1942.. Where it does everything well, but no one thing great.

For now, if you want it all.. you will have to pay to play, in that the only games I know of that have it all and do a very good job of flight simming is games like Aces High and Warbirds. Warbirds started out as a flight sim and added in ground vehicals.. There is WW2OL too, but, it didnt start as a flight sim.. thus.. it kind of suffers in the flight aspects.