PDA

View Full Version : US cockpits

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 10:21 AM
First off, awesome job getting PF done!

But from the latest dev update I'm a bit concerned about the US fighter cockpits. The Japanese ones seem great, but the F6F looks like a friggin cartoon or something. I know the US pits were green, but not some gay neon green like we see in the updates. Are all the US pits going to be this poor? I certainly hope not.

Edit- Sorry clint, no tracks yet!

LStarosta
10-09-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree... I was disappointed with the F6F cockpit in particular. There seems to be a really big lack of texturing and weathering in the U.S. cockpits. And it's not only the green part that catches my attention. In fact, it's the gray instrument panel that looks as if a 3 year old molded it out of clay!

But let's not exaggerate here!

80% of IL2 players fly cockpit off anyway! It's not that big of a deal, right?

TAGERT.
10-09-2004, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG7_Rall:
First off, awesome job getting PF done!

But from the latest dev update I'm a bit concerned about the US fighter cockpits. The Japanese ones seem great, but the F6F looks like a friggin cartoon or something. I know the US pits were green, but not some gay neon green like we see in the updates. Are all the US pits going to be this poor? I certainly hope not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I had some color pics somewhere.. And that color green is spot on! But with that said.. I think there may have been some different shades used through out the war.

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
I agree... I was disappointed with the F6F cockpit in particular. There seems to be a really big lack of texturing and weathering in the U.S. cockpits.

But let's not exaggerate here!

80% of IL2 players fly cockpit off anyway! It's not that big of a deal, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, and then they come here acting all big and bad, like they're pro's or something. lmao

BSS_Vidar
10-09-2004, 10:30 AM
The color is Zinc Chromate. It's not even a finishing color, but a special primer to prevent corrosion. Zinc chromate is on just about every underlying surface inside and out on an airframe.

It looks very close to correct in the screenies I've seen. Go to your nearest hobby shop and check out a bottle from the Testors Model Masters rack and I'll think you'll agree Rall.

S!

Slammin_
10-09-2004, 10:36 AM
You mean to tell me a 3 year old created zinc chromate?

Wow, kids are getting smarter and smarter!

LStarosta
10-09-2004, 10:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slammin_:

Wow, kids are getting smarter and smarter! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I said that the grey instrument panel looks pretty sub par to everything else we've been seeing. Oh well, at least it's better than nothing.

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Ahhhh, the US Army and Navy painted their planes cockpits with model airplane paint, eh?

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/wwii/books/cockpit/small/Grumman%20F6F-3%20Hellcat.jpg

Normal Hellcat

VS

***gy green Hellcat

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/F6F_01.jpg

Now, that Hellcat has probably been restored and is missing some of the green paint. I'm not denying that US planes were painted green on the interior, its just that the green in that screen shot seems a bit bright, doesn't it? Maybe they should tone it down a bit or add some weathering.

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slammin_:

Wow, kids are getting smarter and smarter! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

your server is cockpit off, no wonder you don't care

LStarosta
10-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Looks like the slammer became the slammee.

BSS_Vidar
10-09-2004, 10:51 AM
No Rall http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif,
They didn't paint the planes with model paints. You're obviously not a detail modeler M8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Model Masters paints, as well as other brands ARE manufactured with actual FS (Federal Standard) color specifications. Most modelers "like my self" are avid detail fanatics that try to re-creat our labors of love as accurately as possible.

That pick you showed there is a refurbished cockpit. Some owners usually fully finish them instead of restoring it to the way they really were.

S!

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I was being sarcastic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I understood what you were saying, I'm not stupid. I'm no uber-modeller but I understand the accuracy of the paints produced for such hobbies.

LStarosta
10-09-2004, 10:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSS_Vidar:
No Rall http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif,
They didn't paint the planes with model paints. You're obviously not a detail modeler M8 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Model Masters paints, as well as other brands ARE manufactured with actual FS (Federal Standard) color specifications. Most modelers "like my self" are avid detail fanatics that try to re-creat our labors of love as accurately as possible.

That pick you showed there is a refurbished cockpit. Some owners usually fully finish them instead of restoring it to the way they really were.

S! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, that's absolutely true, because some fruitcake keyed my car's door like 20 million times, and I just used puke green enamel and it looks like new! More Ovaltine, please!

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG7_Rall:
Now, that Hellcat has probably been restored and is missing some of the green paint. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSS_Vidar:
That pick you showed there is a refurbished cockpit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 11:05 AM
http://home.imaginet.co.za/meprolite/sig/tons0301.jpg

best sig, EVER!

Franzonto
10-09-2004, 11:05 AM
I'd say the cockpit fits the plane perfectly:

Ugly by design, not by modeling. There ought to be at least a little sense for esthetics in a plane, but the main American planes lack that even more than the Fiat G50!
Nothing to be astonished about...

horseback
10-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Actually, after referring to my copy of Detail and Scale #49, F6F Hellcat, I'd say that the colors of the Hellcat's 'pit were close to spot on. The green may be a little too yellowish, but that may be my video card. Dark grey is a shade of black, and it's used to exaggerate the contrast with the black-er dial faces without overworking your graphics card.

The Hellcat's beauty is in it's functionality, Franzonto. A lot more Hellcat pilots made it home than the poor bastards who flew G.50s, in spite of aesthetic scars from the poor color choices for the interior.

cheers

horseback

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Well I trust your word horseback, even though it looks goofy as hell. Oh well, it'll be sweet to fly. They could have put some more polys on that prop though....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

DuxCorvan
10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Blame Grumman, not the mod/texturers. Hellcat pit was that ugly -though clear and functional. What can we do?

Maybe they should have asked the Japanese to build the pit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BurningBeard
10-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Zinc Chromate is a metal etching primer, it is used to etch the metal so another paint can stick to it. It is also transparent and the color will vary with the amount applied. I.E. if the individual in the factory was heavy handed of had a hangover or something, the color appears darker, it he was in hurry to go drinking with his buddies the color was almost non existant. I have applied it where it is almost black but usually it is a light olive green, the cockpit illustrated looks pretty good as an average tone, but it could vary in either direction.

Beard

II_JG1Hartmann
10-09-2004, 03:35 PM
80% fly cockpit off?!?!

You got to be kidding me? Where that number come from. Anytime you can log on and look at the servers and see that cockpit is on all of these. So I think you are mistaken.

As for the color its corrct. I think the poster of teh green isue has a cheap monitor or something and needs to adjsut his color bits some as I see it spot on correct with the RLM available for the time.

Also in regards to the modling, I spend my time looking out the window anyway so could care less.

JG7_Rall
10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by II_JG1Hartmann:
80% fly cockpit off?!?!

You got to be kidding me? Where that number come from. Anytime you can log on and look at the servers and see that cockpit is on all of these. So I think you are mistaken.

As for the color its corrct. I think the poster of teh green isue has a cheap monitor or something and needs to adjsut his color bits some as I see it spot on correct with the RLM available for the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was joking, calm the hell down. 80% isn't an exact figure, he was just making it up off the top of his head. You seriously need to get a life rather than cream your pants every single time you see a thread like this and feel the inexplicable urge to jump all over it and reply like you did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also in regards to the modling, I spend my time looking out the window anyway so could care less. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. No one cares.

LEXX_Luthor
10-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Rall is drinking again

Maple_Tiger
10-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Whats the point in flying a WW2 sim if you'r not going to fly inside the C/P?

I don't care what server I'm on. I'm always inside my C/P.

Not that I don't use F2 here and there. However, wen I'm engaged, I'm in my little C/P trying to line up a shot.

LStarosta
10-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Rall, for watching my back while I was boom and zooming semi's in my Mystique 190. Obviously someone needs to unwind their tighty whities around here.

And Hartmann, first off, why the hell would the USN be subscribing to RLM standards for their aircraft paints? Second, maybe we don't use the same Hyperlobby client. There are more cockpit off servers than there are cockpit on servers. In fact, other than Warclouds, there's maybe 2 or 3 other reputable cockpit on full real dedicated servers on HL. The rest are just user hosted. Very much like my associate has noted on my behalf, 80% is a "guesstimate", if you will. But I'd be willing to put money on that figure plus/minus 8.25%, which is NY State sales tax, by the way. Please, do not go anal on me again. The only reason I come here on these forums is to vent my frustrations while I am in an inebriated state, as I am sure no reputable person would spend any of their sober time here arguing like an idiot with a bunch of... well... fricken idiots.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Rall is drinking again <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lexx, will you please finally SFUT for Pete's sake..?! Everyone knows Rall is straight edge! And that's not because he chose to be, but because I raid his liquor cabinet whilst wearing a stocking over my head in case I get caught.

Hades_Dragon
10-09-2004, 11:00 PM
The Hellcat, generally speaking, wasn't the most pleasing to the eye anyway. The green paint doesn't jump out at me. Besides, I'd be worrying looking for bandits, not moaning and groaning about my cockpit, how it looks, and what the enemy thinks when I bail out and he sees it.

609IAP_Recon
10-09-2004, 11:40 PM
"80% of IL2 players fly cockpit off anyway! It's not that big of a deal, right?"

"Rall is drinking again"

must be - maybe the wagon he fell off of has the same puke green and it drives him to drink?

Giganoni
10-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, and I'll be too busy admiring my cp in my Ki-61 I Otsu, instead of looking for bandits. So Hades_Dragon can come up behind and put some 50 cal slugs in my tail.

Aaron_GT
10-10-2004, 02:08 AM
The zinc chromate colour being used in PF looks pretty good. If anything it's very slightly toned down not too bright.

Fliger747
10-10-2004, 02:55 AM
Though interiors of the aircraft (including wheel wells) were Zinc Cromated, instrument panels of the day were usally painted a somewhat non-reflective black. The reason for this was instrument visibility, especially at night since this was before the days of general integral instrument lighting.

Snootles
10-10-2004, 12:34 PM
No, it's not a looker like some of the British or Japanese pits. And how about those Cold War era Russians with their psychedelic bright blue? I love that color!

Arm_slinger
10-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Why does that panel have its AH half covered???

JG7_Rall
10-10-2004, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 609IAP_Recon:
"80% of IL2 players fly cockpit off anyway! It's not that big of a deal, right?"

"Rall is drinking again"

must be - maybe the wagon he fell off of has the same puke green and it drives him to drink? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, Rall, posted about the color.

LStarosta posted about the 80% thing.

Two different people.

Good try, old sport http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

actionhank1786
10-10-2004, 08:51 PM
YOU ALL ARE FIGHTING ABOUT PAINT
GO OUTSIDE
NOW!

Tdavart
10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
There were two zinc chromates used in WWII. Yellow and green. Black was added to YZC to get a green shade. As a result the hue varied widely. It might be a bit bright in PF, but I'm still trying to figure out why the Lex is in pre-war colors.

VW-IceFire
10-10-2004, 09:10 PM
I think the cockpit looks great. Its very clean, very functional...its typical of a number of other US cockpits we've seen.

They tend to have that olive drab or green color to it. Not as deep a green as the British cockpits either...but their own style no doubt.

Cpt_Jack
10-10-2004, 10:33 PM
While we're discussing US pit colors, I don't think they have shown any screenshots of the Wildcat's yet, have they? Early Wildcat cockpits, as well as the forward area of the TBF Avengers', were a very dark "bronze green" color, similar to the exterior Japanese navy green. Early Corsair cockpits supposedly were painted a slightly lighter "dull dark green," as were those of the early P-38s. "Interior" or Zinc Chromate green was not as common as a lot of people think. The interior color of the P-39, "Bell green," is accurate in FB, so I hope we can count on them to get the colors right for Pacific Fighters, too.