PDA

View Full Version : Built-in voice coms thread (please read this)

BaldieJr
10-31-2004, 06:26 PM
Since I like the idea of Oleg-approved voice coms and I hope to hear more of you online, this thread is all about in-game coms and how to use them.

If you have something usefull to add, please do.
If you want to endorse some other voice application please don't.

Volume:
In the sound settings the "Voice Volume" sets the volume of other people. I think this also sets the volume of AI voice, so if you can hear the tower fine in single-player, you should be able to hear other pilots just as well in multiplayer.

Channels:
There is a "common" channel available for cross-army talk. Red and Blue (and other armies) can talk to one another on this channel.
Each army has its own channel.
Players can create custom channels and set the CODEC for that channel. I don't know if members of other armies can join these channels, so some testing should be done.
To see a list of current channels, hit the chat key and type:
. ENTER
(period followed by enter)
The channel with an asterik (*) is the channel you are currently in. To select a channel use the arrow keys.
To create a channel, open the console (SHIFT+TAB) and type:
radio channel_name
You can bind a "change channel" key that will cycle through all the channels (it displays the current channel on the HUD).

CODECs:
lpc: default codec. The quality is not good, but with carefull speech and proper mic setup it is effective.
hq: high quality codec. Quality is much better. This is good enough to use, but not so good that you get that sterile sound most voice comms give (I hate TS because it sound too good. I want crackles and hisses, not the sound of "Everyone Loves Raymond" and your family discussions in the background).
To set the codec for your channel, open the console and type: radio CODEC hq (or lpc)
You can not change the codec used in default channels.

Latency:
If your ping to the server is less that 200, do not bother to adjust this. If it is above 200 ms, match this to your ping by opening the console and typing:
radio LATENCY .450
.450 = 450 ms ping. If your ping is 300, use .300, if its 1000ms, use 1.0 (maximum of 2.0).

AGC:
Automatic gain control attempts to proactivly alter the microphone loudness based on input. If you speak loudly the AGC will try to limit the input thereby limiting distortion. By default enabled. To disable, use: radio AFC off

Level:
Sets the VOX (voice activation) level. The higher the level the more input volume necessary to begin transmission. If background noise keeps triggering transmission you need to set this lower. Valid values are 1.0 through 5.0. To set, use: radio LEVEL 2.5

Test:
You can enable test mode without going to the Sound configuration menu. To test the radio open the console and type:
radio TEST on
When you have finished, turn off the test function with
radio TEST off

Other stuff of interest:
Voice comms are saved in track recordings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
The hq codec uses at 38000 bps of bandwidth. lpc uses about 8000 bps of bandwidth.
The PTT switch appears to be bugged in PF (or I'm not using it properly).
When you join a server you are automaticly set to no channel.
If your voice meter contantly hits the yellow bars you are too loud.

Hopefully more people will take advantage of the built-in voice communication. Even if you have no mic, or are too shy to speak, get into the habbit of joining your armies comms channel when online as you will be able to coordinate your efforts with your team mates.

GT182
10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Baldie, we could never get comms in the game to work right,so the group I fly with uses TeamSpeak2. It works fine with no problems at all. Plus it doesn't draw anything away from the game itself, seeing it's separate.

Athosd
10-31-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks BaldieJ, I'll try it out.

I always liked the included voice comm feature in Operation Flashpoint - it was great for small games where the additional bandwidth overhead was negligible.

Cheers

Athos

ruekesj
10-31-2004, 10:02 PM
yes, yes. haven't flown online yet. so it's nice to know the voice comm is working. running seperate apps like rogerwilco or teamspeak ties up too many precious resources.

BaldieJr
11-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Speedbump

BaldieJr
11-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Just a quick tip:

You need not open the console to create a new channel. Open the chat window and type

. ENTER

Then type the name of the channel you want to create and hit ENTER, and then hit the ESCAPE key.

Easy as pie http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Athosd
11-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Okay - I've set this up and tested it in a solo multiplay game, took a little while to get the sound/pickup levels right (ended up adding a 20db boost to my mic to achieve sufficient gain).
It works very well, and the voice comms are indeed recorded in the track.

Now where would I find a server that has this active? (my PC is currently too low end to act as a good server).

Cheers

Athos

Ps. the Press to Talk button worked ok for me.

BaldieJr
11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Bump over the hump.

triggerhappyfin
11-15-2004, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Bump over the hump. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree with you B-jr http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

This is a feature in game that should be looked up on.
Lets get it workin...those other coms don´t ad much of immersion to the game.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Tully__
11-15-2004, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Bump over the hump. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx Baldie http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I'll bookmark it this time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Freycinet
11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
very interesting, tried this for the first time tonight. Very few people on it though...

A question: is it possible to alter the voice comm volume without altering the game sounds? - The voice comms were drowned out a bit by the engine sounds

thx for mentioning this!

Spinnetti
11-15-2004, 07:30 PM
how come nobody (almost) uses it? It seems teamspeak and roger wilco are the preferred methods..

VMF223_Smitty
11-15-2004, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spinnetti:
how come nobody (almost) uses it? It seems teamspeak and roger wilco are the preferred methods.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll stick with Ventrilo. Clear as a telephone and well worth the money.

roybaty
11-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Well believe it or not running the in game voice comms seems to hit game performance, and also brings up some weird sound issues for some. Ended up being too much trouble than it was worth, so most use a third party app with years on development built specifically around efficient good quality voice comms with a realatively small memory/cpu hit.

Freycinet
11-16-2004, 05:17 AM
anybody got an answer to the question I posed above?

ElAurens
11-16-2004, 05:28 AM
All voice comms programs take bandwidth away from the game. Some more than others. It may be nice as a back up, but unless it is significantly better than what people use already I don't see a big switch coming.

Athosd
11-16-2004, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
anybody got an answer to the question I posed above? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is set by the "Voice Volume" dial in Sound Setup (General).
There is also a "Mic input level" dial in Sound Setup (Radio) - not sure how much impact that has, but I have it maxed.
The other settings that impact voice volume are your soundcard mic controls. As noted previously I had to apply the +20db boost to my Soundblaster mic pickup in order to get useful volume YMMV.

Cheers

Athos

FF_Trozaka
11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting this Baldie, our squad has been toying with the idea of trying the in game comms, we use TS now with varying degrees of success,we will give this a try.
I hope you guys that try it post here and give your results.
S!