PDA

View Full Version : joystick

BillSwagger
04-01-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr...tID=149&PlatformID=5 (http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=149&PlatformID=5)

I was looking at this joystick. Its moderately priced, and i wondered what other people think about it.

I noticed its plug and play, so i'm assuming it doesn't require a separate power supply, i just plug it to my computer via USB.

I liked that the throttle lever has buttons for the thumb and index, but i can't tell how many buttons it has on the stick. Looks like two or three, plus the hat.
Sometimes i see joysticks that feature 14 or 15 buttons, but you can only reach six or seven comfortably.

It featuers 5 axis, which sounds great, but i'm avoiding anything with a twist handle for rudder. I wanted know where the 5 axis were.

BillSwagger
04-01-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr...tID=149&PlatformID=5 (http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=149&PlatformID=5)

I was looking at this joystick. Its moderately priced, and i wondered what other people think about it.

I noticed its plug and play, so i'm assuming it doesn't require a separate power supply, i just plug it to my computer via USB.

I liked that the throttle lever has buttons for the thumb and index, but i can't tell how many buttons it has on the stick. Looks like two or three, plus the hat.
Sometimes i see joysticks that feature 14 or 15 buttons, but you can only reach six or seven comfortably.

It featuers 5 axis, which sounds great, but i'm avoiding anything with a twist handle for rudder. I wanted know where the 5 axis were.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-01-2009, 06:10 AM
It has a twist stick but it also has a rudder rocker on the throttle and a lock on the twist stick so you can use either.

Tully__
04-03-2009, 09:54 PM
If it supports true force feedback it probably does have a seperate power supply. If it's just rumble effects, it may not have a separate supply.

It appears to be one or the other as Thrustmaster normally use red trim for joysticks with effects and yellow trim for joysticks without, but this may have changed.

Five axes - I'm not really sure about this, they may be fudging the number. It appears to me that they're counting it like this:

Throttle
Pitch
Roll
Yaw (twist axis)
Yaw (rocker control on throttle)

I used to have the non-forcefeedback version and on that there was a switch on the forward side of the base to choose between the rocker control or the twist axis. They were not separate axes on that controller, so in practical terms it only had four axes. This may or may not be the same on the current version.

BillSwagger
04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
thanks
I'm trying to stay clear of the twist rudders, but if this control has a way to keep it locked then i might still consider buying it.

I actually found a decent way to make my current setup work more effectively.
I have a three axis joystick (X,Y and throttle lever.) and a three button wheel mouse. (mouse wheel for rudder)

part of my problem is not having a hat switch, so i would use the mouse to pan around.

With NewView i was able to smooth the mouse movements, but it was still easy to get disoriented.

It was helpful to have a centering button (f1, default 'hotkey' in Newview) so what i did was map a joystick button for centering (changed default from f1 to 'P') and programed it on my joystick as a hold command....so basically centering is always on once i hit that button.

Then, in NewView, there is a speed multiplier (or divider) that i mapped both mouse buttons to. So now when i press both mouse buttons at the same time, i can pan around with it, and soon as i let go it snaps to center view with out me having to press another button.

Before i had a joystick button for this, and for some reason it was more difficult that way for me.
Another thing, by accident, there is another button mapped on my JS (shift, default in Newview), that lets me pan at 1/3 the speed, so if i need slower smoother movements i just press that button, and when i let go, it also snaps to center.

Now i have my mouse buttons configured for other uses, like padlock next, previous..ruddering etc.
and because it snaps to center on its own, i can make use of other buttons for trims, mapping etc, that i normally had to use as a keyboard function.

I might hold off on the new stick, unless i find that its limiting my game play.
I'd rather put the money towards improving the graphics.