PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those with the nvidia 8 series cards

jade.mk
05-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Well, this 7950GX2 is starting to get old and I'm looking for more juice. The 8 series of cards is the next step up for me and I thought I'd ask some questions before I got serious about selling and buying stuff.

-This is out of my price range, but how much faster (percentage-wise) is the 8800GTX 768MB compared to the GTS 640MB?

-Is there a huge difference between the 320MB and 640MB GTS cards?

-I currently have an Antec 550W PowerTrio PSU. I know it may not be enough for the GTX, but will it be enough for either of the GTS cards?

Right now I'm leaning towards the PNY 8800GTS 320MB since it's at a good price. Thanks for any insights to help me with my purchase.

MercenaryKnight
05-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Just so you know, it isn't all about wattage for psu's. It is about how many amps you got on your rails. I have a corsair 620w psu where people have been able to successfully run an sli 8800gtx rig with so yeah.

nebula25x
05-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Even though i have a 8800gtx and can guarantee its a top performer in all games, if money is a concern i would definately agree with the card you are leaning towards.

The extra ram will allow for higher resolutions with better image settings at higher fps. Whether thats worth it is up to you. The difference is minimal.

However, if you plan on using sli in the future then i would suggest the 640mb version. Contrary to what some think, running two cards in sli does not double the availabe ram. If you have two 640mb cards in sli you will still only have 640 mb ram. Hence why i suggest the 640 for sli, you will want the highest resolution.

Power supply should be fine for one of those cards. Not two.

You only have 18amps on each of your three 12v rails. Thats bare minimum. Will work.

jade.mk
05-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah I was afraid about the amps for the 12v. I won't run into any problems or any decreased performance will I?

I think the 320 will suit me just fine because even though I'll set textures and whatnot to high, my LCD monitor's max res isn't super high (1280x1024).

nebula25x
05-28-2007, 12:35 AM
No, no performance decrease. It either will work or it wont. If its not working you will get definate warning signs like rebooting or freezing while playing games.

But dont automatically assume its the power supply if you do get those symptoms. There are ways to isolate the problem.

Even though multiple 12v rail dont exactly add together, combined amps should be more than the required.

You should be fine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

jade.mk
05-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Actually, I did have problems like that with my GX2 back with an older power supply. I had a 450W with 18amp 12v rails as well, but my computer would shut off or freeze especially when playing Oblivion. My guess was a lack of power to support it at high loads so I went and bought the Antec and so far there hasn't been any problems.

Thanks for the reassurance with the GTS, though.

On a side note: I'm not sure if it's okay to do this on these forums, but if anyone is interested in buying my GX2 send me a PM. It may save me the extra step of posting it up on ebay. Oh, and if selling my PC parts isn't allowed here will a mod please tell me and I'll edit the post. Thanks.

Lasher-M-
05-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by nebula25x:
No, no performance decrease. It either will work or it wont. If its not working you will get definate warning signs like rebooting or freezing while playing games.

But dont automatically assume its the power supply if you do get those symptoms. There are ways to isolate the problem.

Even though multiple 12v rail dont exactly add together, combined amps should be more than the required.

You should be fine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Incase you guys where wondering it takes 26a amps to run a single 8800GTS. I ran into a power problem with my new comp because of a crapppy PSU. I was using a NZTX PF-500 500w PSU...why? why would you use such a garbage psu you say? Because it was a recomended choice from the people that built my PC. Cyberpowerpc.com. My experience with them was a nightmare I wouldn't suggest anyone buy anything from them ..ever. But thats a whole nother story. In short, they are incompetent.

My comp would shut down, freeze up or plainly not even boot up at the end. It ended up burning out I beleive. Lucky for me it was a brand new comp and under full warranty so it cost me nothing to have it replaced.

Most good power supplies these days have 2-4 +12v rails and will combine to provide the correct amps needed. Thermaltake makes a decent PSU's. They're 750w toughpower is what I am using now and so far it's working well. Like he said above though. Be carefull and read up on your PSU not all will combine and there are a whole bunch of PSU's out there that do not provide the correct amps to run the 8800.

Here is a good site that will show you some really good PSU's to have even if you don't plan to go SLI with it.
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html
And then you can always go to www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) to do all the research on these and more PSU's

jade.mk
05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Hmmm...I noticed that for the GTS SLi it recommended the 650W version of the Antec PSU that I have. Its 12V rails are only 1 amp more than mine, so I think I should be fine.

Was_Sup
05-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Here's a graph from another post GRAPH (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3801065024/m/8311043955/p/1). I just took out a x1900xtx crossfire setup and put in one 8800 GTX and couldn't be happier.

nebula25x
05-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Gr1MReapeRAK:
Hmmm...I noticed that for the GTS SLi it recommended the 650W version of the Antec PSU that I have. Its 12V rails are only 1 amp more than mine, so I think I should be fine.

Didnt i say that? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Jk.. gl with new card.

jade.mk
05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
I think I'm going to hold off on the purchase for a bit. I've got family coming for my cousin's wedding and I'm going to be pretty busy. Thanks for all the info.

SteveLord8
05-28-2007, 04:21 PM
the 8800GTS 640 is the hottest video card to get right now. its been as low as $315-$330 for the past 2 weeks.