PDA

View Full Version : Warning fellow Aussies, don't try to be funny or you'll be locked out.

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Hya, I speak English (alright, it's australian) and I know a lot of you guys must have it as you're only language.....

and I'm playing a sim where I'm s'posed to suspend my disbelief and pretend I'm flying for the Nazis or the Ruskies ... and it's great fun except when I have the appropriate lamguages turned on, and you know what? i can't understand a word the other guys on my side are saying. (I know it may come as a surprise that the numbers one to ten in Russian all sound the like 'Nosdrovia" to me)

My choices are
1) leave on the text translation and have my cockpit full of text which I'm sposed to be reading while maintaining my situational awareness OR 2) swap the files around in the directories and hear English with some strange mid something or other accent that sounds like it was recorded by a bunch of thin nosed chinless school teachers with their heads down a keroscene can.
Neither helps me to imerse myself in an otherwise fine game.

What I'd love is a speech pack where a bunch of heavily accented Russians, Germans Hungarians (or whatever) are speaking English, but just with that twist of foreign accent that would allow my alter ego to think 'hey, this is really happening... I really am an (eg) communist fighting the invading Germans over Stalingrad in the 1940's."

At the moment the voices, though reasonably acted, just aren't doing it for me. Anybody feel the same way? This sim seems to have had a huge market in the English speaking world and it's one more tweak that I feel would be most well accepted.

Never sheet out

PS I've been banned by the moderators for trying to be funny. Sorry, you won't hear from me again. Guess the powers that be are more Stalinist than I thought.

Thanks for listening.

Message Edited on 10/18/03 08:11AM by headwax

Message Edited on 10/18/03 08:14AM by headwax

Message Edited on 10/18/0308:17AM by headwax

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Hya, I speak English (alright, it's australian) and I know a lot of you guys must have it as you're only language.....

and I'm playing a sim where I'm s'posed to suspend my disbelief and pretend I'm flying for the Nazis or the Ruskies ... and it's great fun except when I have the appropriate lamguages turned on, and you know what? i can't understand a word the other guys on my side are saying. (I know it may come as a surprise that the numbers one to ten in Russian all sound the like 'Nosdrovia" to me)

My choices are
1) leave on the text translation and have my cockpit full of text which I'm sposed to be reading while maintaining my situational awareness OR 2) swap the files around in the directories and hear English with some strange mid something or other accent that sounds like it was recorded by a bunch of thin nosed chinless school teachers with their heads down a keroscene can.
Neither helps me to imerse myself in an otherwise fine game.

What I'd love is a speech pack where a bunch of heavily accented Russians, Germans Hungarians (or whatever) are speaking English, but just with that twist of foreign accent that would allow my alter ego to think 'hey, this is really happening... I really am an (eg) communist fighting the invading Germans over Stalingrad in the 1940's."

At the moment the voices, though reasonably acted, just aren't doing it for me. Anybody feel the same way? This sim seems to have had a huge market in the English speaking world and it's one more tweak that I feel would be most well accepted.

Never sheet out

PS I've been banned by the moderators for trying to be funny. Sorry, you won't hear from me again. Guess the powers that be are more Stalinist than I thought.

Thanks for listening.

Message Edited on 10/18/03 08:11AM by headwax

Message Edited on 10/18/03 08:14AM by headwax

Message Edited on 10/18/0308:17AM by headwax

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 11:15 AM
There is a voicepack out there with 'accented' English. Sorry, but I cant remember where I got it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Try a search of these forums or the ones over at SimHQ. Somebody here will probably be able to help too.

Good Luck,

WB.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/whiskeysftp/IL2Pics/Mysig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Just save your foreign language files to my Documents and place the Actors 1 - 9 into the appropriate file ie: Russian, German, Hungarian or what ever. The program only asks for actor 1 to say phrase 5. It's the same for any language of the country yer flyin for. I got rid of subtitles and all I hear now is english voices no matter what country I'm flyin for. Of course there are no Russian (Soviet Heroes), or German (Sons of the Fatherland) accents to be heard, although the guy in the ontrol tower sound an awful lot like C3PO's accent. Works great, tells me when someone is on my tail, I know if my freakin wing men are following my orders.

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Headwax.

On the site mudmovers.com under the essential files for the original IL2 (not FB) there are voice packs that you can download for both German and Russian pilots where you get exactly what you're looking for. The voice packs are compatible with FB, though I think there are extra phrases in FB that they miss, nothing essential though.

Hope that helps

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Here's the URL for the essential files page, scroll right down to the bottom for the voice packs

http://mudmovers.com/Sims/IL2/il2_essential_files.htm

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 11:27 AM
thanks guys for your prompt responses, I'm honestly impressed by the kindness of the people on these message boards

S! Wax

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Although it makes understanding the radio traffic much easier (esp since I don't speak some of the languages ingame), it makes me feel as if I'm in middle of a Hollywood film....you know, the ones where the "hero" runs around butchering wholesale quantities of mindless bad-guys sporting terrible accents and bad moustaches....
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey, if that's BBQ's voice pack that's linked, the terrible German accent for the scared bombers is me!

It's a huge leap forward in immersion for me - not understanding what folks are saying seems very unrealistic.

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Gotta say I'm with Bully Lang on this one... to hear "accented" English would just kill it for me; hearing Russian, German, Finnish and Hungarian really adds to the immersion for me

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 05:40 PM
...and that is why FB is such a great sim!

1C:Maddox built it with actual languages and gave us the option of substituting them with languages we can understand!

What a super cool feature!

Even better when you recall that it was given to us in a free upgrade of the original IL-2 (and carried over to FB).

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 01:54 AM
I learned all german phareses in FB (there arent so many) pretty fast even if at start i didnt have a clue what they meant. Numbers were quite easy to understand too.

Russian is much harder to understand for me though. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I dont have a clue about russian words, but from phrases context in game i can guess it. Ie. If you order wingman to attack he says either "roger", "attacking" or "not possible" depending on situation. Im having problems with russian numbers though...maybe i should check those out from some net translation. Would take only few minutes of effort.

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Sorry, I must be a slow learner...I just have trouble remebering what things like "watch out Headwax! There's a Kraut on your six at about seven and half degrees starboard doing an eschelon stall full rudder turn" sounds like spoken in a middle Crimean dialect.

Message Edited on 10/18/0307:46AM by headwax

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Caught ya there Headwax,
That's not ocker humour m8, 'fess up! You're a Kiwi ain't ya!!
S******.......Oi.

Bussard.
Newcastle NSW.

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 10:31 PM
I think that's a great idea for any updates wax, it would really help me in my sense if imersion.

Sorry to hear that you have been banned. I always thought youre posts were kinda funny.

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 11:15 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I've learnt the most common phrases and vector calls in German now /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif still learning my russian.

Amazing what 2 years of constant play will do for you.

Thank you 1C langauge school from this Aussie.

<center>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>
Got Nimrod? Try the unofficial <A HREF=http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4870c2bc08acb0f130e5e3396d08d595>OT forum</A>

XyZspineZyX
10-18-2003, 11:23 PM
I forgot to add that I've also learnt a little German from this game. It is very informative. Also geography.

Actually I think Headwax is from Crebert Street Mayfield. Which explains a lot if you are from "Newie".