PDA

View Full Version : How to bomb tanks with a jabo?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 09:41 AM
I find it very difficult to destroy tanks. I bomb next to a tank and nothing happens. I must hit it directly and find this impossible.

Any hints?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 09:41 AM
I find it very difficult to destroy tanks. I bomb next to a tank and nothing happens. I must hit it directly and find this impossible.

Any hints?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Fly OVER them. Invert. Pull back on the stick until the crosshairs slightly lead the tanks with NO TENDANCY TO DRIFT. (Important!) Release at 1,000-1,500 meters altitude.

A 1,000 lb or 500KG bomb will kill with a near miss. Smaller weapons must hit the tank to score a kill.
Pause a brief moment between bombs when releasing to increase chances of a hit.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
S!
Chris

http://members.cox.net/miataman1/WAR-08.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Dive bombing (safe & accurate) or Glide bombing (accurate) is the way to go. Don't expect a direct hit every time, bombs aren't really meant for taking out tanks.

To dive bomb, fly parallel to your target, watching them between the nose and wing of your ac, aim for about 250 km/h with flaps down at this stage. As they pass under your wing, bank toward them and pull into a dive so you are diving directly towards them (0% throttle BTW), & aim a little ahead if they are moving. Between 500 & 1000m above the ground, release bombs and pull out of your dive. Bank and look back to see if you got anything.

To glide bomb, fly moderate speed (300 - 400 km/h) towards your target, only a little (100m or so) above the ground. As your target passes under the nose, release bombs and pull into a hard climbing turn to avoid the blast. Your bombs should land fairly close. (This is like TLAR bombing = That Looks About Right, but from very low altitude)

A better plan is to get rockets, or to use 23, or better still 37 mm cannons. The 23mm VYa guns on the Il2 (3 series) & onwards can be used in a steep dive like dive bombing, but in a shorter dive with a later escape - they will go through the roof of most tanks. NS37 (LaGG 3 IT, Yak9T, Il2 Type 3M) and the Ju87G 37mm will work on sides/rear of many tanks, and upper rear of almost all tanks.

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks!

But mostly I'm talking about bombing with an Emil with 250kg bomb. It seems like I must be a professor in targeting EXACTLY the tank (not even next to it)...

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Zen, my technique with the Emil is as follows (remember that techniques are like a**holes. Everyone has one, and they all stink):

- Try to create as stable a sight picture as possible. Towards that end...
- Glide bomb, save the dive bombing for the Stukas. A shallow dive angle makes 6-12 errors a little bigger, but lets you get much closer without hitting the ground on pullout.
- Line up far enough out to give yourself time to stabilize. I use about a kilometer.
- Set your bomb delay for 2 seconds. This lets you get really low (<50 m), and still have enough time to get out of the blast. A squadronmate of mine had a mantra about air-to-ground work... "Make the picture bigger than the errors."
- In 2 seconds, the tanks will move a couple of tank-lengths, so lead your target by that amount. If they're in a diamond formation, aim for the leader, and the bomb should go off in the middle of the diamond.
- Pick an airspeed that will give you control while not making you a sitting duck (I use about 350 kph.) Stabilize at that airspeed with power and trim.
- Align your flightpath with the tanks movement. That is, either bomb them while going in the same direction, or 180 degrees opposite. This avoids 3-9 errors, and minimizes 6-12 errors.
- Even if you hit, don't expect to take out more than one tank. The 250 kg bomb isn't the best anti-tank weapon. Bigger bombs are only slightly better. I've taken out as many as 3 (early model) tanks with one 250, but that was luck, not skill.
- Practice in QMB with unlimited ammo to help get the right sight picture.

Good luck. Bombing with iron sights is more of an art than a science. Your mileage may vary.

Blotto

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter craft, no matter how technically advanced." - A. Galland

"Look, do you want the jets, or would you rather I slap the props back on?" - W. Messerschmitt