PDA

View Full Version : Praise the AI and pass the ammunition..

bigbossmalone
08-20-2005, 05:27 AM
Guys, here's a little quirk/fault/maybe it's just me problem I seem to be spotting in this game, I've seen it and seen it and now have decided to ask if anyone else finds this too?
Playing in game I've found that the AI Zero pilots seem to have unlimited/way too much ammo,this only seems to happen with Zeros, I haven't even checked which models yet, but these guys can be chasing me or one of my guys for ages, firing virtually nonstop for MINUTES!
I'm flying on limited ammo, if I fly a Zero I get the normal ammo loadout, which is pretty generous in the Zero, anyway, but I definitely will run out of ammo after roughly 30-40 seconds of constant firing! Please don't quote me on any of these times, I didn't actually time it, but I had a couple mates over that I'm introducing to the game, and even in their noob state they agreed with me that these AI Zeros are way overstacked with ammo!
Any comments, ideas, agreements, refutals, whatever, is welcome!
G'day All! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Slater_51st
08-20-2005, 05:36 AM
I never timed it, but I've noticed whenever I flew a Wildcat in the campaign, any Zeros that got on my six just sat thing holding the trigger until they finally started hitting me, and it does seems like they have infinate amounts of ammo.

And that's another thing, in QMB, I could easily take on 1-2 Zeros with the Wildcat. In the campaign, out 8 plane squad takes on a similar # of Zeros, and I always get some Zero ACE on my tail who won't leave, never runs out of ammo, and singles me out. Of course, my wingmen are no where to be found. Sometimes, I've had 3-4 Zeros on my tail....strange AI, must hate us human players alot to single us out http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

S! Slater

SeaFireLIV
08-20-2005, 05:38 AM
All AI aircraft have limited ammo. It only appears that it goes on forever because you are under fire. Time will seem longer under such conditions, therefore enemy ammo will seem to go on forever.

Also, don`t forget that you may have more than one AI on your tail, when the 1st is out of ammo, the 2nd and even third will take over.

Whatever, enemy AI ammo is limited.

bigbossmalone
08-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Sorry, Seafire, I can't agree with you on this one. Although it's happened to me once or twice, I normally am watching this kind of thing going on between AI pilots, either with camera views or in a replay. I'm also not saying that they have unlimited ammo because I HAVE seen them run out of ammo, but I have seen several instances of AI Zero sitting on Allied AI tail and firing ridiculous amounts of ammo.
I'd go and find a trk file somewhere and send it to you (if I knew how) so that you could see it happening...

midgie
08-20-2005, 06:38 AM
The A6M2-21 has 66sec of ammo while the A6M5 has 33sec and the A6M5c has only 16sec of ammo. So if you're coming up against early zeroes they can seem to have alot more ammo than normal.

66 seconds under constant fire seems like an age in combat but at least its only 7sec 20mm and the rest is just the 7mm peashooter.

bigbossmalone
08-20-2005, 06:46 AM
OK, midgie, glad someone went and timed it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
So I'm guessing that what I'm seeing is probably the A6M2-21, yep, it was definitely earlier Zeros, ****! Thats one hell of a lot of a firing capacity for a fighter!

danjama
08-20-2005, 08:17 AM
"It only appears that it goes on forever because you are under fire"

I didnt realise the game had this much of a psychological effect. Jesus christ. Realism at its best. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SeaFireLIV
08-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
"It only appears that it goes on forever because you are under fire"

I didnt realise the game had this much of a psychological effect. Jesus christ. Realism at its best. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

In ANY situation where you are in a position you do not wish to be with the prospect of losing, TIME will seem to be slower ie, MG/cannon fire from a bogey will appear to go on forever.

This does NOT just apply just to real-life live or die situations (although in real-life the feeling is far more stark and intense of course). As I said before it can apply to virtual life or death situations where you may lose virtually, when you want to win.

It even applies to a simple football game where it appears the otherside`s about to score a goal. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Udidtoo
08-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Since I get the honor of test piloting for some very fine mission builders I get a lot of practice in with 2,3 or more AM6's on my tail.

They have a generous supply of Mg rounds but very quickly use up the big punch.

If you have any energy at all then just go into the tightest right hand gentle spiral climp that you can maintain without bleeding speed and the AI will empty their guns shooting where you were instead of where your going to be.

Against a live body thats a fast way to die. Against AI its going to work 85 or 90% of the time. They may have a new FM but they still have the same AI brains.

73GIAP_Milan
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, i did notice some changes on quite a few planes though, not only AI flown but also when i fly them myself.

For example - if i recall this correctly, i should check this out again - The P39Q '44 used to have MORE ammo on the nose guns then the wing guns in the previous gameversions, now with the last patch this has changed.

Also the LA5 - i happen to drive those sometimes - seem to have more ammo in the one cannon then the other..
I'm not completely sure because i was away on hollidays for a few weeks but it might be worth to check it out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Xiolablu3
08-20-2005, 07:50 PM
The FW190D has LOADS of MG ammo too, in fact it has quite alot of 20mm as well.

I like teh 190D for this reason, the spit hardly seems to have any, 2 planes (or 1 LA/Yak http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) down and its usually all gone, unless you get lucky hits.

BaldieJr
08-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Try turning of vulnerability in QMB while flying an LAGG.

Maybe its been fixed by now. I dunno.

jarink
08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Slater_51st:
I always get some Zero ACE on my tail who won't leave, never runs out of ammo, and singles me out. Of course, my wingmen are no where to be found

Ah. So it's not just me, then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

horseback
08-21-2005, 11:46 AM
It's not just Zeros; it's any enemy AI. The only thing you can count on your AI wingmen for is to show up after you've disabled an enemy aircraft and steal your kill.

cheers

horseback

SeaFireLIV
08-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
It's not just Zeros; it's any enemy AI. The only thing you can count on your AI wingmen for is to show up after you've disabled an enemy aircraft and steal your kill.

cheers

horseback

Absolutely not true. But I can see you`re determined to pervert the truth of AI wingman abilities anyway.

horseback
08-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Sorry, Seafire, you're quite right. They also like to go like hell to the next waypoint (even when checking in the FMB object viewer clearly specifies a much lower speed of 350kph between waypoints) in order to run you out of fuel or overheat your engine, and once you do finally catch up to your flight, they tend to hide behind your canopy frames or slip beneath your wing and try to ram you.

The disappearing and kill stealing thing only stands out because it's happened to me on every bloody campaign mission since I installed 4.01m.

A couple of patches ago, a relative balance in AI behavior had been achieved (except for the ludicrous accuracy of AI aircrew gunners against the player), but there's been a reversion to something very similar to the standards of the old Il-2 Sturmovik and FB 1.0 AI, which were execrable.

Offline play has lost a huge chunk of its 'fun quotient.' In view of the likelihood that at least half of the purchasers/players spend most of their time offline trying to recreate historical air combat careers or missions, it might behoove 1C to reconsider some of the changes they've made in the AI.

I'm not about to spend $40 - $50 on BoB if it's going to be anything like this for the offline player, and the latest patch of FB/AEP/PF is the only reliable indicator I have.

cheers

horseback

han freak solo
08-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
The--------kill stealing thing only stands out because it's happened to me on every bloody campaign mission since I installed 4.01m.

I'm experiencing the same thing Horseback. But, I can't remember if it was the same way before 4.01 or not. (For me)

At least I can call my immediate flight to "rejoin" before they attack my damaged target like the hounds they are.

As far as other friendly AI, they jump in as soon as they are out of targets.