PDA

View Full Version : Flying The I-16?

BrewsterPilot
04-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to learn how to most effectively use the I-16, but haven't had much luck at all.
What tactics do you utilize when using it? I get shot down just about every time I try it.

Thanks,
BrewsterPilot

Stiletto-
04-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Are you turning? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The I-16 is a great little aircraft, it can outmanuever almost anything, has a great roll rate too. The one thing is that its carbs choke with negative G's so your engine will cut out if you dive after a plane unless you invert your aircraft upside down. Remembere to always force positive G manuevers or the engine will stall and you will be stuck in the water.

Nothing is scarier as a 109-E Pilot being jumped by some I-16's that have an altitude advantage, if you are at a lower energy state, the only thing you can do is dive away.

Once combat is initiated, be aggressive, always hound your attacker, as the plane can turn so quick you will be on his tail in 1 circle or less. I beleive its the 24 model which has better guns so use that model if you can.

Also, though slow, it's rate of climb isn't all that bad, try to gain an advantage before entering a furball and then chew them up quickly. It's when you have faster planes diving in on you and zooming away when you're toast. if you see a bogey aways away, give the I-16 some altitude that you can turn into speed later if needed.

TinyTim
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:
Are you turning? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The I-16 is a great little aircraft, it can outmanuever almost anything, has a great roll rate too.

Well, in latest patches this plane stalls like hell. Still very maneouverable, but you need quite some time to get used to it. I can even recall one of the thrustworthy veteran players being called a cheater because his victims didn't believe he could turn that well in an I-16.

DKoor
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
Are you turning? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The I-16 is a great little aircraft, it can outmanuever almost anything, has a great roll rate too.

Well, in latest patches this plane stalls like hell. Still very maneouverable, but you need quite some time to get used to it. I can even recall one of the thrustworthy veteran players being called a cheater because his victims didn't believe he could turn that well in an I-16. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1

On perfect turning speed this thing really turns around telephone pole, just must watch speed.
If speed drops too low I-16 sure can stall and sometimes that can prove to be fatal.

Tips for flying it vs enemy aircraft are - spot enemy before it spots you.

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I gonna post the info of the aircraft guied, wich you can also check.

* excellente turn figther with adequate performance for 1941. in capable hands can figth BF-109E on equal terms, and and BF-109F with sligth disadvantage. both energy and angles tactics can be used against these planes at altitudes up to 3,500 meters.

* inferior to late war german figthers, I-53 tactics should be used against those.

as you may have to face late war enemy figthers with it, gonna post I-53 tactics as well.

* I-53 is an exceptional turn figther wich can literaly fly circles around faster german planes. it can turn on a dime at almost any speed; unfortunately it has a very slow speed of only 366 km/h at sea level.

* the best tactic against enemy figthers is to stay horizontal, and attack the enemy with passes from his frontal quarter, denying him the opportunity to fire by coming in slightly from the side.

* against bombers, I-53 is not very effective as many bombers can simply outrun the Chaika.
for slow flying bombers, don't waste your airspeed on maneuver and hang back in the bombers hear quarter. I-53 represents a very small profile for the bomber gunner so staying at a respectable distance should keep you safe.

I agreed with all the tactics. for me, the best tactic to be used is try let the enemy planes loose speed and try turnfigth with you. that will be I-16 strong point. I already scored several victorys with the I-16 because the axis pilot's with more heavy planes try turnfigth with me.

but don't take in consideration my opinion, follow the tactics I posted and the opinion of the truth pilot's wich will post here.

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 12:58 PM
OMG, 3 members post while I was making my post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DKoor
04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
OMG, 3 members post while I was making my post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BrewsterPilot
04-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Stiletto, TinyTim, Dkoor & Wildnoob, thanks all for your input!
I'm off to try it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I've noticed the nasty 'snap-stall', what would generally be the best speed to turnfight to avoid it happening?

Thanks again!

FeiHu
04-19-2008, 02:39 PM
You can also chop the throttle in neg G dive to keep the engine from stalling.I you do stall the engine,rember to hit engine start twice to get her going again.

PBNA-Boosher
04-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Best way to avoid the snap stall is to listen to the airplane and keep her coordinated. She'll buffet a little before she spins out. Give her more attention!

Stiletto-
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Hmm, I will have to try her again, and see how easily she snap stalls, I must admit, I play online mostly these days and am getting sick of all the late war stuff that overpopulates most of the servers.

F19_Orheim
04-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:
... am getting sick of all the late war stuff that overpopulates most of the servers.

+1

Feathered_IV
04-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
... am getting sick of all the late war stuff that overpopulates most of the servers.

+1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+2

DKoor
04-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:

+1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's +1.

Wildnoob
04-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by DKoor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:

+1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+3

+2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's +1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

TinyTim
04-20-2008, 10:42 AM
That's exactly why I really like UKD servers - randomly chosen maps from virtually all eras/battles of war, from Khalkhin Gol or Spanish civil war till Last Days in august 45 or even Arab Israeli war in 1948.

Xiolablu3
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim:
That's exactly why I really like UKD servers - randomly chosen maps from virtually all eras/battles of war, from Khalkhin Gol or Spanish civil war till Last Days in august 45 or even Arab Israeli war in 1948.

+1

Although I havent played online (or iL2!) for quite a while now, must get back into it, its fantastic.

Stiletto-
04-20-2008, 01:01 PM
It was either Spits vs 109s or.. Winds of War.. and the map rotated to some early war stuff, and I got really excited! I took off in the sky in a Fiat CR42, while others on the axis side could fly the G.50 and various early Macchi variants. the allieds had the Gladiator and a few other biplane or early monoplane types.. But the boom and zoomers on the server were hurricanes.. I found that with 2 sets of wings my climbing was on par with them, even though I was quite a bit slower, I would climb above them and dive on them and use my superior turning ability, although the cockpit visibility was horrible, and I lost contact too often because of this. There might of have been some I-16's and 153's on the server I dont know, but it was setup to be atleast a fairly convincing affair from a historical stand point.

My biggest problem with jumping into the old birds on a server like that is, they are never around, I hardly get to fly those planes, and I don't know their abilities and limits as well as the top 5 planes you find on Warclouds, every single mission. But I guess that kinda makes it more fun doesn't it?

Wildnoob
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
wat I really don't like is the servers wich don't have a axis vs allies planeset.

TinyTim
04-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:

+1

Although I havent played online (or iL2!) for quite a while now, must get back into it, its fantastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I even lost passwords for forums.

Mortisrose
04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
I play in this plane quite a bit online. I have a few tactics.
What I do is carry drop tanks on the way to battle and only fill it to 25 - 50% internally with fuel. I drop the tanks when I see an enemy fighter.
Use the machine guns only to "paint" your target to help you line up your shot with your cannons. So play around with the convergence of you cannons (mines around 250 I believe) until they work well with you mgs.
Carry rockets. The I-16 is one of the few planes that can tactically use the head on attack. When an enemy plane comes strait at you go strait to him and fire off one or two salvos of rockets right in his engine and fire all guns while breaking at the last moment. I get a lot of kill that way, just be sure to lower to convergence of your rockets pretty low. Another good aspect to this little plane are its strong wings and durable engine. Another plus to head on attacks. There are times when my wing cut straight through the wing of an attacker.
Engine gets hot easily so I keep it a radiator 6 fly around 2000m and crop the throttle to 70% and speed up when necessary.

SeaFireLIV
04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I`m one of those people who doesn`t pick a plane because it`s no.1 or uber, but because I like it.

Now the I16, I like because it has character. It gets bullied, kicked around, is even called a `Rat` by those who hate it, yet it still soldiers on and can give the unwary a nasty surprise.

I fly this plane a lot, almost equalling the Spitfire Vb.

To fly the I16 well you need to choose the plane as your flyable for a couple of months, then just keep flying and fighting in it. I advise to do it mostly offline at first, so that you can get accustomed to its intricacies. Once confident enough (you can take on 2-3 veteran 109 F2s alone and survive), then go online.

You have to be a bit of a glutton for punishment online as you will be targeted as the `easy` plane, but once you get good enough you can hold your own against noob `superior` plane pilots.

I still rememeber the times I`d go on a server like Warclouds and watch everyone pick a super plane while I chose the humble I-16 then toddle along waiting for the first prey to arrive.

Cocky pilots would dive at me in their 109s or 190s and you could feel them tasting the `easy` kill. I`d dive, lose height, then begin my turning manouever. They`d either overshoot me , stall out (while trying to match my turn) or smash straight into the ground behind me. If they overshot, I`d already be firing a burst of the I16 cannons which are highly effective into them.

I even remember the I16 would be unfairly banned from some servers just because of the guns!

I remember getting one actual kill and 2 manouever kills due to overxecited `uber` plane drivers who think that their `44, `45 planes can`t possible lose to an inferior I16.

Of course, once they catch on to what a skilled I16 pilot can do then you`re pretty much stuffed as they (`44 &`45 fliers) will almost always refuse to dogfight you and just B&Z with their better speed and climbing ability...

But if you can fly an I16 and survive you can fly anything.

p.s. The sidewinder FF is especially helpful in flying an I16 and avoiding the stalls. With that joystick the aircraft feels like it`s on rails!

discovery_il_2
04-21-2008, 02:44 AM
It is hell of an aircraft just get use to it... it can shoot any plane if you know what to do!!!

Lurch1962
04-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Use the wonderful utility "IL2Compare" to assess a plane's performance envelope. One of the charts will show you the corner velocity, the speed which affords the fastest turn rate. Try to be at or near this speed when entering a hard combat turn. Actually, better to be a little faster, as speed quickly drops when the angle of attack increases. As the turn progresses while speed drops, you'll be able to gradually increase the pull-back on the stick so as to keep just shy of stalling.

SeaFireLIV
04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Lurch1962:
Use the wonderful utility "IL2Compare" to assess a plane's performance envelope. One of the charts will show you the corner velocity, the speed which affords the fastest turn rate. Try to be at or near this speed when entering a hard combat turn. Actually, better to be a little faster, as speed quickly drops when the angle of attack increases. As the turn progresses while speed drops, you'll be able to gradually increase the pull-back on the stick so as to keep just shy of stalling.

Y`know, I know some guys love to study the numbers and compare the exact turn rate\speed\blah,blah of an aircraft meticulously. I never did this with the I16. I just got in and flew it until I learned it!