PDA

View Full Version : OT: Titus Pullo...

ploughman
01-05-2006, 06:32 AM
....kicked **** last night (did you see that guy's head come off?), and got the girl. Last night's final episode of Rome (in the UK) transformed an above average swords and sandles drama in to a piss funny, edge of seats, WTF!! is going to happen next? must watch that actually began to merit it's HBO/BBC pedigree. Great stuff. Haven't laughed so hard since 3 men in a boat.

So when's season 2?

Worf101
01-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Old news here bud. That's aired here weeks ago. I assume you're living in some other part of the world? I loved "Rome" and think that Verenus and Pullo are two of the best developed "friends" in T.V. historical drama in quite some time. Don't buy Verenus as a Senator but hey, it could happen. Makes me very glad I never had to face the 13th Legion back in the day.

Worf101 99th Pursuit Squadron, 332nd Fighter Group. Virtual Tuskegee Airmen. "Spit Fire"

Dunkelgrun
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ploughman:
WTF!! is going to happen next?QUOTE]

Something along these lines, no doubt with Verenus and Pullo getting involved:

"Though when he arrived Octavian found power in the hands of Mark Antony and Aemilius Lepidus. They were urging compromise and amnesty. But Octavian refused to accept this attitude. With his determined stand he soon succeeded in winning over many of Caesar's supporters, including some of the legions.
Though he failed to persuade Marc Antony to hand over Caesar's assets and documents. Therefore Octavian was forced to distribute Caesar's legacies to the Roman public from whatever funds he was able to raise himself. Such efforts to see Caesar's will done helped raise Octavian's standing with the Roman people considerably.

Many of the senators, too were opposed to Antony. Octavian, appreciated as Antony's primary rival by then, was granted the status of senator, despite not yet being twenty.
During the summer of 44 BC the senate's leader, Cicero, delivered a series of infamous speeches against Marc Antony which came to be known as the 'Philippics'. Cicero saw in the young Octavian a useful ally. So, when in November 44 BC Antony left Rome to take command in northern Italy, Octavian was dispatched with the senate's blessing to make war on Antony. Marc Antony was defeated at Mutina (43 BC) and forced to retreat into Gaul.
But now it showed that Cicero had definitely lost control of the young Octavian. Had the two reigning consuls both been killed in the battle, then in August 43 BC Octavian marched on Rome and forced the senate to accept him as consul. Three months thereafter he met with Antony and Lepidus at Bologna and the three came to an agreement, the Triumvirate. This agreement between Rome's most powerful men thoguh completely the senate from power (27 November 43 BC).
Cicero was killed in the proscriptions that followed. Brutus and Cassius, Caesar's chief assassins, were defeated at Philippi in northern Greece.
Octavian and Marc Antony, the winners at Philippi, reached a new agreement in October 40 BC in the Treaty of Brundisium. The Roman empire was to be divided between them, Antony taking the east, Octavian the west. The third man, Lepidus, was no longer an equal partner. He therefore had to make do with the province of Africa. To further strengthen their agreeement, Antony married Octavians' sister Octavia. But it was not to be long, before Antony abandoned her to return to Cleopatra.

Meanwhile Octavian's own standing had been heightened by the deification of Julius Caesar in early 42 BC. He was no longer to be addressed as 'Octavian' but insisted on being called 'Caesar' and he now styled himself as 'divi filius' - 'son of god'. "

Worf, yes the final episode was shown just last night in the UK.

Cheers!

PS Sorry if some of that quote is gibberish - I must have pulled it from a rather illiterate website.

Tooz_69GIAP
01-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Well, from what I hear, response to the first series was so good that a second season is in the offing. I will certainly be interested to see if they continue in the same timeline, or go to some other period of Roman history. I reckon Nero would be a good subject, but then that would necessitate the development of new characters.

Anyway, it was a petty good series!! And Pullo rocks!

WOLFMondo
01-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Watched them all but missed the last one.

I couldn't help but like Pullo and Verenus but Marc Antony was the most ammusing character to watch, not least because he's not fictional!

ploughman
01-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Mark Antony was such a rakish cad, great guy, I half expected him to say 'ding-****, climb aboard and I'll take you to heaven,' everytime he moved near a female.

Pullo and Verenus are real too, sort of, being the only two Roman soldiers mentioned in Caesar's history of the Gallic Wars. Verenus a Centurion and Pullo a legionaire.

I've a feeling M'ludner knows more.

Xiolablu3
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I lost interest after the 'big battle' was a few stills of men with swords and slow motion shots, what a let down.

I lost interest after that, it was such an anticlimax, I thought it was leading up to a great battle scene.

I will have to watch the last one, bitorrent here I come http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-05-2006, 08:49 AM
It was a classic when he took the guy`s head off for insulting the 13th Legion and when he was finally about to be slaughtered in the Arena after his major fight back and he kept crying "13th! 13th!" And that new senator chap who`d also been in the 13th Legion couldn`t help but join him and fight in the Arena almost bought tears to my eyes.

Ah, true band of brothers stuff.

True that the major battles weren`t depicted very well in earlier episodes. It should have been.

Waldo.Pepper
01-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Every 20 years(ish) people rediscover I Cladius and think it is new.

Maybe there reaslly is nothing new under the sun.

MLudner
01-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Mark Antony was such a rakish cad, great guy, I half expected him to say 'ding-****, climb aboard and I'll take you to heaven,' everytime he moved near a female.

Pullo and Verenus are real too, sort of, being the only two Roman soldiers mentioned in Caesar's history of the Gallic Wars. Verenus a Centurion and Pullo a legionaire.

I've a feeling M'ludner knows more.

Why, thank you. I have to admit, I do not recollect encountering those names in CAESAR's books. He does mention others, though, such as SEXTVS BACVLVS (Possible misspelling in the second name, could be BACCVLVS or BACVLLVS) whom he shows as perhaps the greatest soldier in his army in GALLIA COMITATENSIS. He also names two of the CENTVRIONES who scaled the walls of GERGOVIA and were killed on them.

BTW: Worf, the 10th and 9th LEGIONES were both far more fearsome than the 13th. In fact, CAESAR had no personal bodyguard; he had LEGIO DECIMA (The 10th) and they served that role.

MLudner
01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Every 20 years(ish) people rediscover I Cladius and think it is new.

Maybe there reaslly is nothing new under the sun.

I have and have read both "I, Claudius" and the sequel, "Claudius the God" and recommend them both as excellent reading. They rely heavily on the historian SVETONIVS, though, who could be called the Roman National Enquirer...

ploughman
01-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Titus and Varenus. Pullo's name has been slightly bastardised for some reason and and he appears to have been promoted.

In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, €œWhy do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalising your valour do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes.€ When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after.

Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succours him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amidst the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succour and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other.

Book V, Section 44, Julius Ceasar€s De Bello Gallico.

MLudner
01-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Titus and Varenus. Pullo's name has been slightly bastardised for some reason and and he appears to have been promoted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, €œWhy do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalising your valour do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes.€ When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after.

Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succours him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amidst the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succour and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other.

Book V, Section 44, Julius Ceasar€s De Bello Gallico. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, now I remember. I am better with incidents than names, just like as in faces...

SeaFireLIV
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
fascinating (hand on chin mode...)

waffen-79
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
guys? what season?

Niobe lives?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Visigoths Won the War Be sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nothing like a touch of claret on the arena floor to get the old blood a pumping. Went down quite well with my haggis and mash and whiskey this morning.

Wasn't sure at first about this series as they do gloss over a lot of the plot but as a piece of entertainment it works very well.

Now if they would only incorporate a few scenes like that into that fakking celebirity big brother drekk I would be happy as a pig in the preverbial manure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

WWSensei
01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
No, while the episodes of up close butt-whuppins were good you don't truly appreciate Verenus and Pullo's true attitudes until the shipwreck episode.

Come on, talk about never say die. They built a raft OUT OF THE DEAD, BLOATED, YET BUOYANT, BODIES OF THEIR FELLOW LEGIONAIRES! Talk about major survival instinct...

No doubt those two would have been fighter pilots. Never on the defensive though on occasion their offensive situation was a might poor.