PDA

View Full Version : how to install XP with vista

Jediteo
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I recently bought an HP laptop with vista installed. It is good and all, but hogs up my already limited system. I have a 160 GB Drive, that has about 50 GB available, and I figured I could make a partition for XP. I have an XP CD ready, and all I need are instructions and pointers on how to proceed with this endevour. I have the Backup HP disks if everything goes bad. Would appreciate any Help. I am no stranger to DOS, and very basic computing, and have installed several OS:s during my time, but never two at the same time.

The specs are as follows.

1.5 GHz Intel centrino duo, 2 GB ram, and a 8400MS.

Not much of a Gaming rig, but needed something for school

Jediteo
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I recently bought an HP laptop with vista installed. It is good and all, but hogs up my already limited system. I have a 160 GB Drive, that has about 50 GB available, and I figured I could make a partition for XP. I have an XP CD ready, and all I need are instructions and pointers on how to proceed with this endevour. I have the Backup HP disks if everything goes bad. Would appreciate any Help. I am no stranger to DOS, and very basic computing, and have installed several OS:s during my time, but never two at the same time.

The specs are as follows.

1.5 GHz Intel centrino duo, 2 GB ram, and a 8400MS.

Not much of a Gaming rig, but needed something for school

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok, I'll give some tips on setting up a dual-boot but first I'd like to say that that rig should be plenty to run vista quite smoothly. I don't think you'd see much improvement switching to XP. You might want to check out http://www.blackviper.com/ and check out his Vista performance tweaks.

That being said, I would get either partition magic or acronis and create a new partition out of the some of the free space (you can go into disk manager in vista and create a new partition there but sometimes it doesn't work just right). Then just boot off the XP cd. Do a new installation and when it asks which partition choose the new one. Then install as normal. You should then be given the option of which OS to boot to a startup.

B16Enk
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Ok, I'll give some tips on setting up a dual-boot but first I'd like to say that that rig should be plenty to run vista quite smoothly. I don't think you'd see much improvement switching to XP. You might want to check out http://www.blackviper.com/ and check out his Vista performance tweaks.

That being said, I would get either partition magic or acronis and create a new partition out of the some of the free space (you can go into disk manager in vista and create a new partition there but sometimes it doesn't work just right). Then just boot off the XP cd. Do a new installation and when it asks which partition choose the new one. Then install as normal. You should then be given the option of which OS to boot to a startup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bit late here, but my experience (and indeed the general rule of thumb) is one should install the later/most recent OS last.

Vista uses an entirely different boot process (the BCD) and installing XP after Vista will result in the Vista OS being inaccessible.

There is a method to restore the boot order, using the recovery options available off the Vista install DVD. But as I suspect there is no DVD in this case then you will be in for a slog.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

And: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/543644-can-i-add-xp-after.html

For more details.

Jediteo
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I just did an FPS check on "The black death" track.

At 1280x800 with direct X on maximum settings, I got an average of 30 FPS, with occasional drops down to about 15. Also will moving some of the RAM allocated to the card degrade performance ( It is set to 800 MB at default, I think).

I can get Company of heroes going at a good FPS, and the world in conflict benchmark averages around the mid 30 on low.

Computers were easier in the 90's...

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
If you mean the amount of system ram dedicated to the onboard video I'd set it to 256 and leave it. And don't forget the blackviper tweaks, they will gain you FPS.