PDA

View Full Version : Websight Distribution of LockOn by 1C?

TAGERT.
12-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Why cant they offer the updates to Pacific Fighters like they are the LockOn updates (Flaming Cliffs)?

Here is the link

http://lockon.ru/index.php?end_pos=9&scr=list&lang=en

And here is some text from that link.

Distribution

The product can be obtained in the following ways:

* Full version on CD - Russian version is distributed by 1C company on the territory of the CIS;
* WebSite downloadable upgrade to "Lock On: Modern Air Combat" - English, German and French versions can be downloaded from www.LockOn.ru; (http://www.LockOn.ru;)

NOTE it is a web based DOWNLOAD!!! Something some people scoffed at when I mentioned doing that for PF!

On that note.. When did 1C take over LockOn? I thought it was Screaming Eagles or soemthing like that? Anyway, I would GLADLY pay for the update that Oleg said would only be released in Russia! I hope they offer it up like this LockOn download!

Gibbage1
12-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Tagert. Let me spell it out for you. C O N T R A C T!

I can almost guarantee you Ubi has a distrobution contract with 1C and Maddox for exclusive right to IL2 outside of Russia. If 1C or Maddox distributes IL2 outside of Russia, they can sue.

So, in reality, Ubi should do this web distrobution like I said in my poll.

Gib

TAGERT.
12-21-2004, 01:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gibbage1:
Tagert. Let me spell it out for you. C O N T R A C T! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Contrack Smontrack! Contracts come and go! Perfect example, the question you didnt answer, let me spell it out for you. L O M A C via 1C.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gibbage1:
I can almost guarantee you Ubi has a distrobution contract with 1C and Maddox for exclusive right to IL2 outside of Russia. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Outside! But a russian web sight that allows russians to dl and pay.. Who's to say?

If 1C or Maddox distributes IL2 outside of Russia, they can sue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Outside.

So, in reality, Ubi should do this web distrobution like I said in my poll. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In reality 1C should get away from ubi asap! In that Im sure that in their orginal contract they had verbage that they would use thier legal pull to suport 1C in situtaions.. So 1C could contined to distrubute thier products world wide via ubi.. Yet.. here we are! Shall I spell it out for you in another way? CONTRACTS are made to be BROKEN!

Fehler
12-21-2004, 01:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
In reality 1C should get away from ubi asap! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy do I agree with that! I almost didnt buy IL2 (Original) way back when solely because it was a UBI game. The demo is what sold it for me. UBI totally ruined Silent Hunter II/Destroyer Command, and I was not impressed with their support at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> tagert:

Shall I spell it out for you in another way? CONTRACTS are made to be BROKEN! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But do you really think UBI would not sue 1C if they did? Just another reason for 1C to do as you suggest in quote No.1. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On a personal note... I have always gotten the feeling (ALthough it may be totally off-base) that 1C was a fledgling company with a fresh idea that got involved with UBI out of ignorance. How could Oleg, new to the business, know what UBI was all about? But now that UBI has contractual arrangements with 1C, they have Oleg by the short hairs. Perhaps 1C could buy out his contract with UBI in the near future, and publish his own games across the globe. Or, get involved with a more reputable company.

OK, tagert, come and slap me for being in agrement with you! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fehler
12-21-2004, 01:55 AM
After typing, I was thinking...

Wouldnt it be a strange piece of irony if UBI ended up dropping 1C's contracts in lieu of the defense fiasco?

That would allow 1C to seek a company that would support him better!

Now THAT would be funny!

cpirrmann
12-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Let 'em sue Oleg. The way Ubi appearantly rolled over for Northrop Grumman, they would probably end up paying Oleg settlement money!

Aaron_GT
12-21-2004, 04:50 AM
"Contrack Smontrack! Contracts come and go!"

So do injunctions. 1C tries to break the contract with Ubi. Ubi slaps an injunction on 1C. Ubi sues 1C for lost revenue. Breaking the contract would be a dumb move. Renegotiation? That would be another matter.

Aaron_GT
12-21-2004, 04:55 AM
"Let 'em sue Oleg. The way Ubi appearantly rolled over for Northrop Grumman, they would probably end up paying Oleg settlement money! "

Would you rather Ubi had not settled and had an injunction slapped on them pending a legal judgement? The injunction would most likely have required that Ubi cease and desist from distributing in the USA and required that all the boxes currently on the shelves be pulled. That would be very expensive for Ubi and retailers might not want to risk that experience again, even if the legal case went Ubi's way (3 years later).

Seriously, whatever the merits of the case Ubi had little choice but to protect the investment that they already had in terms of products on shelves and the ability to sell more. Not least because any hiccup in share price created would be bad in the light of the activity from EA.

Weather_Man
12-21-2004, 10:23 AM
1C has always been the distributor for Lockon in Russia--same as with Il2. UBI ended their contract with Eagle Dynamics and Lockon early this year. ED could sign with another publisher for the west if they wished, but they decided it would be better for them to distribute the new addon themselves via download (outside of 1C territory). Most of their Lockon sales came from Russia (same with Il2) which is why they focused the addon for that market primarily. Only later did they decide to make it available for the west.

As far as I know (which is not much), 1C and UBI do not have a contract together on anything. They are simply different publishers for different regions who sell some of the same games, but do not compete directly.