PDA

View Full Version : Hook Blade

dchil279
07-07-2011, 07:47 PM
is it attached to the end of the blade or the edge of the bracer? I've seen screenshots of each and I'm confused. If it is at the end of the blade how can you stab someone with the blade?

EDIT: just found this picture, but it still leaves some of my questions unanswered/discussions open
http://i53.tinypic.com/2mw7zae.png

xCr0wnedNorris
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
By the looks of things you have both the hook and hidden blade put on the bracer (as in, you have the hidden blade on there, and the hook blade is an entirely different attachment).

dchil279
07-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by xCr0wnedNorris:
By the looks of things you have both the hook and hidden blade put on the bracer (as in, you have the hidden blade on there, and the hook blade is an entirely different attachment).
oh wow, now I feel stupid, thanks. But wouldn't it make more sense if they just had be a part of the bracer?

GunnarGunderson
07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
http://videogames.gameguidedog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/assassins-creed-revelations-cover_thumb.jpg I think this will clear it up

flyingeaglemile
07-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Does anyone else not like the hook blade? The only reason I don`t hate it is because sliding on ropes like in the demo looks like fun, but the whole of idea of it being a weapon seemed silly to me and people are probably just going to use the hidden blade instead.

bveUSbve
07-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by flyingeaglemile:
Does anyone else not like the hook blade? The only reason I don`t hate it is because sliding on ropes like in the demo looks like fun, (...)
Yes, sliding on ropes may be fun. But as of now, the way it is realised - visually, "physically" - doesn't look the least bit realistic. That's the main reason I don't like it.

Though generally I have the feeling the developers are MUCH too generously including mechanics "just for fun" or the spectacle - irregardless of believability in the historical context or of what has been established in AC(1) and AC2. (ACB already showed the same tendency ...)

dchil279
07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Yea I really don't like how it is being used as a weapon to stab and throw people. I'd rather Ubi just make it something that we use to slide on ropes and climb with. Although I must say, it looks pretty cool since it is in the shape of an Eagle's head, especially when the blade isn't out and the beak looks like part of the bracer.

Also, those bracers look really cool, huh?

kriegerdesgottes
07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not all that wild about it but the sliding seems like it might be cool. It definitely seemed gimmicky at e3. My main concern about the hookblade is how the right hand button, O in my case, is the hookblade button when that has always been the push to the side button and pick up weapons button. Surely you can still do those things but then how does the hookblade work?

notafanboy
07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I'm not all that wild about it but the sliding seems like it might be cool. It definitely seemed gimmicky at e3. My main concern about the hookblade is how the right hand button, O in my case, is the hookblade button when that has always been the push to the side button and pick up weapons button. Surely you can still do those things but then how does the hookblade work?
maybe we have to equip it ?

dchil279
07-08-2011, 10:39 AM
this is the image that really bothers me. How can you stab someone with it?
http://i54.tinypic.com/2z8rdr9.png

albertwesker22
07-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by dchil279:

I think he hooks the blade in the gaurds throat and then pulls him in(YOUCH!)

GunnarGunderson
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2z8rdr9.png Maybe the tip of the blade is hidden within the flesh of the guard's throat

dchil279
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Maybe the tip of the blade is hidden within the flesh of the guard's throat
Well that would go against the previous explanation that the hidden and hook blade are two separate things.

AdmiralPerry
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I dunno. It kinda looks like the hidden blade is on the inside of the bracer, while the hookblade is on the outside. Look at the image in the first post, bottom right. The blade looks like its attached to the inside.

And yes, those bracers are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having a pair myself, if for no other reason than to keep my arms warm.

dchil279
07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Alright I just read a gameinformer article that says that the hookblade is on the right arm and the hidden blade (no hook) is on the left arm. So then the hook blade and the hidden blade are probably not 2 different mechanisms meaning that you do stab people with it wich really doesn't make much sense.

blazefp
07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't think that such a thin thing like the hook blade would take so much weigth. I don't like it because it's pretty unrealistic. Plus not all the ropes are attached to sth that takes Ezio's weigth.
Bah Ubisoft tried to hard to inovate this time and turned out ruining a new gadget

swiftkinfe
07-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah the hool blade though sounds cool. I just can't imagine it actually holding Ezio's weight. Or if it did then why wouldn't the rope snap? Doesn't even Sam from splinter cell even slide down ropes on occasion? The blade mechanism just doesnt seem to add up.So why not do what splinter cell did and just give gloves to avoid rope burn?

Jexx21
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I think the reason why the Hookblade can hold Ezio's weight is similar to the reason why the Hidden Blades can now be used in combat. The formula of the metal used to make the blade and also presumably the hook are the same Altiar used to make the blades able to hold the weight of a heavy sword along with the force of a man's weight. It could also be the same formula but reworked by the Constantinople Assassins to make the blade stronger.

Stowdace
07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
The hook blade is also supposed to decrease the time it takes to scale buildings. Old man needs some extra help.

Calvarok
07-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by V-rex1986:
Yeah the hool blade though sounds cool. I just can't imagine it actually holding Ezio's weight. Or if it did then why wouldn't the rope snap? Doesn't even Sam from splinter cell even slide down ropes on occasion? The blade mechanism just doesnt seem to add up.So why not do what splinter cell did and just give gloves to avoid rope burn?
Because the hookblade is used for a lot more than just ziplines. -.-

It supports his weight because he's an average sized guy, of sleight and agile build, and the hookblade is an advanced mechanism built by guys who have a history of having advanced mechanisms.

It doesn't seem to have a blade on the end of it, but we've seen it being used to stab during one of the short combat in the video. Possibly going to have the blade at the end added in later.

CRUDFACE
07-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
I think the reason why the Hookblade can hold Ezio's weight is similar to the reason why the Hidden Blades can now be used in combat. The formula of the metal used to make the blade and also presumably the hook are the same Altiar used to make the blades able to hold the weight of a heavy sword along with the force of a man's weight. It could also be the same formula but reworked by the Constantinople Assassins to make the blade stronger.

The hidden blades metal wasn't really improved, they just started using two of them. You can tell they aren't stronger because it's been broken twice. Physically, the rope would either snap or the hook would. but they're doing the thing where they're ignoring something in place of gameplay mechanics.

The hookblade is extendable, which means that it is hollow at some points.

Jexx21
07-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by t260z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:

The hidden blades metal wasn't really improved, they just started using two of them. You can tell they aren't stronger because it's been broken twice. Physically, the rope would either snap or the hook would. but they're doing the thing where they're ignoring something in place of gameplay mechanics.

The hookblade is extendable, which means that it is hollow at some points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, if you read the Codex, Altiar specifically mentions that he found a formula in the Apple that was used to make the hidden blades stronger and usable in blade to blade combat. On the subject of the blade getting cut off, you can't be 100% sure that the trailer was canon in showing the blade getting cut off. I think there was another point where a blade was cut off, but I forget when. I think it was in another trailer too, either that or one of Altiar's hidden blades.

Altiar mentions starting to use 2 hidden blades when he mentioned the new metal. He said it took a lot of materials to make the hidden blades, so he needed to decide who got 2 blades.

Also, on the topic of ropes snapping, why don't the clotheslines in the other games snap? Or the hanging pots? It's for the same reason as you mentioned. Last time I checked, games are meant to be fun, not realistic on all aspects. There is an appropriate explanation for the hook blade which I have just explained. The fact that ropes don't snap is no stranger than the fact that Ezio doesn't die when he jumps off a tower into a bale of hay.

FiskMunk
07-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:The fact that ropes don't snap is no stranger than the fact that Ezio doesn't die when he jumps off a tower into a bale of hay.

Indeed, some common sense must be sacrificed in order for there to be awesomeness.

Inorganic9_2
07-10-2011, 12:03 PM
To be honest though, they are ropes...ropes aren't that weak. People can climb ropes.

ShadowRage41
07-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I really like the idea of the hook blade as well as it's functions. I keep hoping for an Assassin who has mastered falconry. that would just really kick the game in the tail to have a trained raptor. Or maybe I just keep hoping for that because I have a journeyman license in falconry.

Regardless i feel like it would fit the game. But I am happy about the hooked blade. XD

Steelers nati0n
07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I just thought that if the eagle head was pressed down the hook was there, and if it was pulled up just the blade comes out.

The top two pictures show the head down, and the hook is out. The bottom pictures show the head up, and only the blade is there.

CRUDFACE
07-10-2011, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:

The hookblade is extendable, which means that it is hollow at some points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, if you read the Codex, Altiar specifically mentions that he found a formula in the Apple that was used to make the hidden blades stronger and usable in blade to blade combat. On the subject of the blade getting cut off, you can't be 100% sure that the trailer was canon in showing the blade getting cut off. I think there was another point where a blade was cut off, but I forget when. I think it was in another trailer too, either that or one of Altiar's hidden blades.

Altiar mentions starting to use 2 hidden blades when he mentioned the new metal. He said it took a lot of materials to make the hidden blades, so he needed to decide who got 2 blades.

Also, on the topic of ropes snapping, why don't the clotheslines in the other games snap? Or the hanging pots? It's for the same reason as you mentioned. Last time I checked, games are meant to be fun, not realistic on all aspects. There is an appropriate explanation for the hook blade which I have just explained. The fact that ropes don't snap is no stranger than the fact that Ezio doesn't die when he jumps off a tower into a bale of hay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the point of that second paragraph when it just restates what I said? The blade was snapped in the assassin creed short film with Giovanni, that's why it's jacked up when Ezio gets it. And he says that the METAL PLATE is different, not the blade itself. He only ever refined or changed metal when he made his special armor. For the hidden blades themselves, they require hard metals to find, but haven't been refined using the knowledge of the apple.

blazefp
07-10-2011, 05:51 PM

Also, on the topic of ropes snapping, why don't the clotheslines in the other games snap? Or the hanging pots? It's for the same reason as you mentioned. Last time I checked, games are meant to be fun, not realistic on all aspects. There is an appropriate explanation for the hook blade which I have just explained. The fact that ropes don't snap is no stranger than the fact that Ezio doesn't die when he jumps off a tower into a bale of hay.

I understand that but I'm feeling that a hook blade it's already too unrealistic. I mean if it was real life Ezio probably didn't even need to perform those gigantic leaps of faith, or walking on top of the military tends, or having millions of pouches to take the medicines, poison, etc That's what makes the game cooler than the book. But in the demo Ubi showed it seems that it's impossible for Ezio to get the ship without using the hook blade and every time he does it it sounds very unreal.
I'm just saying that it would be good if Ubi thought "hey, can that actually be done?" before they materialize that idea.

Animuses
07-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by FiskMunk:
Indeed, some common sense must be sacrificed in order for there to be awesomeness.

Jexx21
07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by t260z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:

Also, on the topic of ropes snapping, why don't the clotheslines in the other games snap? Or the hanging pots? It's for the same reason as you mentioned. Last time I checked, games are meant to be fun, not realistic on all aspects. There is an appropriate explanation for the hook blade which I have just explained. The fact that ropes don't snap is no stranger than the fact that Ezio doesn't die when he jumps off a tower into a bale of hay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the point of that second paragraph when it just restates what I said? The blade was snapped in the assassin creed short film with Giovanni, that's why it's jacked up when Ezio gets it. And he says that the METAL PLATE is different, not the blade itself. He only ever refined or changed metal when he made his special armor. For the hidden blades themselves, they require hard metals to find, but haven't been refined using the knowledge of the apple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah! Thanks for reminding me about it being Giovanni's blade that snapped.

Anyway, here's a thought. Maybe the Constantinople Assassins will tell Ezio how the Hook Blade works. Honestly, I wouldn't question such a cool thing as the hook blade anyway.

dchil279
07-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by aj0280:
I just thought that if the eagle head was pressed down the hook was there, and if it was pulled up just the blade comes out.

The top two pictures show the head down, and the hook is out. The bottom pictures show the head up, and only the blade is there.
That's very plausible and sacrifices no common sense for awesomeness.

sassinscreed
07-11-2011, 02:53 AM

it looks like hidden blade

Originally posted by blazefp:
I don't think that such a thin thing like the hook blade would take so much weigth. I don't like it because it's pretty unrealistic. Plus not all the ropes are attached to sth that takes Ezio's weigth.
Bah Ubisoft tried to hard to inovate this time and turned out ruining a new gadget

there aren't many things in assassins cred which you can call realistic, so you don't like the game?

blazefp
07-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by sassinscreed:
there aren't many things in assassins cred which you can call realistic, so you don't like the game?

I love the game. The free running and the main stuff is actually quite realistic though it obviously has some things that aren't realistic.
Oh wait...I'm having a big de ja vu...Oh i know why, I've Already said this!
Read everything before posting

I'll save you some work:

Originally posted by blazefp:

I understand that but I'm feeling that a hook blade it's already too unrealistic. I mean if it was real life Ezio probably didn't even need to perform those gigantic leaps of faith, or walking on top of the military tends, or having millions of pouches to take the medicines, poison, etc That's what makes the game cooler than the book. But in the demo Ubi showed it seems that it's impossible for Ezio to get the ship without using the hook blade and every time he does it it sounds very unreal.
I'm just saying that it would be good if Ubi thought "hey, can that actually be done?" before they materialize that idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CRUDFACE
07-11-2011, 03:38 AM

What was the point of that second paragraph when it just restates what I said? The blade was snapped in the assassin creed short film with Giovanni, that's why it's jacked up when Ezio gets it. And he says that the METAL PLATE is different, not the blade itself. He only ever refined or changed metal when he made his special armor. For the hidden blades themselves, they require hard metals to find, but haven't been refined using the knowledge of the apple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah! Thanks for reminding me about it being Giovanni's blade that snapped.

Anyway, here's a thought. Maybe the Constantinople Assassins will tell Ezio how the Hook Blade works. Honestly, I wouldn't question such a cool thing as the hook blade anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome.

Now let's examine the mechanics of the Leap of Faith: awesome+flying+eagle cry+assassin tail feather modeled robes...yeah, I think we all knows it equals epicness.

but like I said, some things-okay, quite a couple things-get overlooked for realism in the games. i said it before and I still mean it now.

iN3krO
07-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by flyingeaglemile:
Does anyone else not like the hook blade? The only reason I don`t hate it is because sliding on ropes like in the demo looks like fun, but the whole of idea of it being a weapon seemed silly to me and people are probably just going to use the hidden blade instead.

As i may have said several times, Hidden Blade Meele Combat is not realistic, let's home the combat with short blade isn't as unrealistic as the meele combat of hidden blade.

Besides that, i like the idea if sliding with it but i'm not like the other's crying for more animations in combat...

I was ok with the animations of Ac1, Ac2 and AcB, they can add more, it's just ok for me, but they need to made realistic animations at least and not some awsome unrealistic ones... It's not a must to have more animations, i would prefer better combat system rather then more animations http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dchil279
07-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flyingeaglemile:

As i may have said several times, Hidden Blade Meele Combat is not realistic, let's home the combat with short blade isn't as unrealistic as the meele combat of hidden blade.

Besides that, i like the idea if sliding with it but i'm not like the other's crying for more animations in combat...

I was ok with the animations of Ac1, Ac2 and AcB, they can add more, it's just ok for me, but they need to made realistic animations at least and not some awsome unrealistic ones... It's not a must to have more animations, i would prefer better combat system rather then more animations http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hook blade animations are so slow and boring too. And I still don't understand how it can be used as a weapon.

dchil279
07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by sassinscreed:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dchil279:

it looks like hidden blade </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No that's Hook Blade, it said so in the caption, and if you look closely you can see the hook.

CRUDFACE
07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
When I actually saw the hook blade combat when not countering someone, it was just him hooked onto the enemy with Ezio hitting him around. The hook blade just looks like a gorier grab.

reini03
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I just took a look at this wallpaper (http://wallpaperswide.com/assassins_creed___revelations-wallpapers.html) again. On the 1080p version, it's clearly visible: there are two actual blades. The upper one is the hidden blade. The other one beside it is the hookblade. It looks like it may slide out and in. It's attached to the second blade and slides ON the hidden blade. This also explains the picture above - the hookblade hits the guard's chin, and the hidden blade his throat (or not; Ezio might as well be just pulling him with the hookblade). It's also an explanation for the E3 demo - on the ship, while jumping off the zipline, the hookblade goes back into the vambrace, the hidden blade slides out (or it was already out). So the two blades are independent from each other.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

ALTAIR98745
11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I know how it works
watch the video "assassins creed revelations hook blade trailer" it`ll answer all your questions about the hook blade.

LightRey
11-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by MagnifyHope:
I just took a look at this wallpaper (http://wallpaperswide.com/assassins_creed___revelations-wallpapers.html) again. On the 1080p version, it's clearly visible: there are two actual blades. The upper one is the hidden blade. The other one beside it is the hookblade. It looks like it may slide out and in. It's attached to the second blade and slides ON the hidden blade. This also explains the picture above - the hookblade hits the guard's chin, and the hidden blade his throat (or not; Ezio might as well be just pulling him with the hookblade). It's also an explanation for the E3 demo - on the ship, while jumping off the zipline, the hookblade goes back into the vambrace, the hidden blade slides out (or it was already out). So the two blades are independent from each other.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Btw, I just would like to point out that though that wallpaper shows the hookblade to be on the left arm, it's actually supposed to be on the right.

GilLasmarias
11-29-2012, 11:13 AM
look at braddkin's photo. you'll see that at the hook, the blade is attached

reddragonhrcro
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM

It looks to me more like he is pulling him by the jaw,ouch...

GilLasmarias
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM

the blade is attached to the hook...
http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?q=assassin%27s+creed+revelations+hidden+bla de&start=124&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1366&bih=624&tbm=isch&tbnid=DoCOrGVDLHPIHM:&imgrefurl=http://acfan13.blogspot.com/2011/09/hidden-blade-weapon-for-assassin.html&docid=Ob2Ve_0_CDFYyM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hqo0cTn2woY/ToO8SkNMvBI/AAAAAAAAABQ/qZpXNGXWgrw/s200/hb3.jpg&w=196&h=200&ei=Wja3UKuzI828iAeMjYDgAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=279&sig=115288092336423842973&page=6&tbnh=155&tbnw=148&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:42,s:100,i:130&tx=50&ty=53

ace3001
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
look at braddkin's photo. you'll see that at the hook, the blade is attachedNice necrobump.
And well, the hookblade is something best not thought of in a realistic manner. :p