PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Joystick Insides Gives 10KMH Boost!!!

ytareh
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I really didnt expect a clean out of the gunk in my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro to 'fix ' its recent irreversible rudder misalignment but it did!Im delighted as was looking at a major fork out of cash for a 'Serious' joystick yet I wasnt ready to use pedals yet.
Considering the slating these sticks get here and elsewhere I reckon Ive been very lucky to get well over two years VERY heavy usage out of this baby...and now after its 'recondition' ...well now Im not having to fight the stick and going that bit faster ...I might keep it for another 2 years!
Use alcohol wipes and allow lots of time ...tiny screws everywhere!

AKA_TAGERT
05-03-2007, 12:22 PM
But if you want a real 'boost' drink the alcohol

Taylortony
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Eat lots of prunes as well, they clear out your other system and increase your short range sprint times......
as said in the other post, I can do you a good deal on a Cougar or X52 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ytareh
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
How much for the Cougar Tony? -I can check the postage to Ireland(Rep) on the Royal Mail site if thats suits or you can give me an all in price.Accept Paypal?Got my own working nicely now as posted previously but those Cougars are nice ...(You can pm if you prefer )

horseback
05-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Tiny screws, looking at a major fork, getting a boost from cleaning your joystick --there's a veritable cornucopia of bad jokes in there, mate (especially with hotelbushranger back).

cheers

horseback

OneMug
05-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Good jokes guys, but seriously, YTAREH, I have the same stick because it feels more like the real military airplanes (props & jets) I used to fly.

Tell me how you cleaned it. I can see the screws on the bottom but I'd like to know what you did, what you found, and how you "fixed" it. I'm not having problems now but I've had it for a long time and would appreciate your details.) TIA.

OneMug
P.S. My avatar photo is me, just before a recent flight in a barnstormer's SNJ, 48 years after my first solo in one and 25 years after I stopped flying. He let me do the whole 9 yards: take off, acrobatics, and landing. Whoo hoo! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Only thing different from IL-2 is the G forces. Hey, Oleg, can you work on that feature for BoB? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ytareh
05-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Well you cant believe how happy it makes me to hear a former military pilot say that the Cinderella of joysticks-the Logitech extreme 3d Pro feels like your old aeroplane sticks....Anyway you open the screws under the base (need a tiny screwdriver)then the three visible ones in the handle(careful ,top one is really small-rest are all interchangeable).Now the trickiest bit ...there are TWO MORE screws holding on the handle grip down the very bottom but they are hard to see.
With the handle removed,four big screws holding on the 'spindle'removed and the wires generally moved out of the way a bit you just need to use alcohol wipes to clean up everything .You'll be surprised at the amount of plastic fragments after years of use.Be very observant at every stage as it could be tricky to reassemble otherwise.Tighten all the screws in there while youre at it especially the throttle potentiometer securing one.

Taylortony
05-06-2007, 03:37 PM
ytareh
check PM's

OneMug
05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Ytareh, thanks very much for the info. I'll save it for when (or if) my stick doesn't seem to be working properly.

I tried several sticks but most were a little too loose (floppy about all axes)for the feel I remember and prefer.

Over 23 years, I flew the following aircraft: Props: SNJ & T-28 trainers, AD-6; Jets: T-33, F9F, FJ-3/4, F4D (old batwing "Skyray"), F-8, F-11, F-4 Phantom and a variety of staff a/c.

It was great fun but I was born 15 years too late and would rather have fought in WW II. That's why I love this sim. (Also, there's a "replay" button you don't get in real) life! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Best wishes and have fun. I am. OneMug