PDA

View Full Version : A Reminder About Civilizations

kathalepsis
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
I have seen a part of the game and there is a grave mistake.. The flag used for saracens is Turkish flag as it is used today. And some "saracens" even speak Turkish! For those who have no idea about history (UBI), here is a passage from "Wikipedia"; query=saracens

The term Saracen comes from Greek Σαρακηνός, which has often been thought to be derived from the Arabic word شرقيين sharqiyyin ("easterners"). The term spread into Western Europe through the Byzantines and Crusaders.[1] In the early centuries of the Roman Empire, the Saracens were a nomadic Arab tribe from the Sinai Peninsula, but later the Greek-speaking subjects of the Empire applied it to all Arabs. After the rise of Islam, and especially at the time of the Crusades, its usage was extended to whom today are called Muslims, particularly those in Sicily and southern Italy.[2]

In Christian writing, the name was made to mean "those empty of Sarah" or "not from Sarah," as Arabs were, in Biblical genealogies, descended from Hagar and also called the Hagarenes (Ἀγαρηνοί). According to the Arthurian Lancelot-Grail Cycle, the name derives from Sarras, an island important in the Quest for the Holy Grail."

The point is, eventhough the Turks are muslim, they are as arabic as an indian or a spanish.. In the days of the crusades, anatolia region was ruled by Turkish Seljuk (read as sell_chooks) lords making the crusades go over the sea instead of land, to lands where crusaders found saracens as another opposition. So there is a terrible mistake using Turkish flag and language in this game.

Though it is "flattering" to see my flag and my language in such a game, I am deeply disappointed to be seen as a "saracen" (and no offense). I hope UBI corrects this mistake somehow and from now on puts more attention on historical facts.

iPlunder
03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Uhm... No life?

McMasterJ
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Okay, I didn't read that and don't plan to. But you went wrong right from the start. When it comes to anything historical, importand or trying to prove a point, NEVER use Wikipedia as a source. And I mean NEVER! Wikipedia should be used for bands, tv, games, and all the other fan type of things. Not historical events, it's just not trust worthy. The next paper you right for school, list wikipedia for your sources and see what kind of grade you get.

loveboof
03-14-2008, 02:55 AM
yeah wikipedia isnt a reliable source, but it could still be true...

Longjocks
03-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by McMasterJ:
NEVER use Wikipedia as a source.
More importantly, one shouldn't mistake Assassin's Creed for Encyclopedia Britanica. Its influences are historical for entertainment purposes, not as reference material. I'd personally nitpick a pile of hay preventing certain death from a thirty story drop before worrying about a flag.

umairnadeem
03-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Longjocks:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McMasterJ:
NEVER use Wikipedia as a source.
More importantly, one shouldn't mistake Assassin's Creed for Encyclopedia Britanica. Its influences are historical for entertainment purposes, not as reference material. I'd personally nitpick a pile of hay preventing certain death from a thirty story drop before worrying about a flag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

omg! you have 666 posts! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

moqqy
03-14-2008, 08:03 AM
AC never was historically accurate.

ScytheOfGrim
03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
More importantly, one shouldn't mistake Assassin's Creed for Encyclopedia Britanica. Its influences are historical for entertainment purposes, not as reference material. I'd personally nitpick a pile of hay preventing certain death from a thirty story drop before worrying about a flag.

Ha!
Imagine your Humanities teacher teaching you history via "Leap of Faith". xD

MoveMeant
03-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by kathalepsis:
I have seen a part of the game and there is a grave mistake..BLA BLA BLA BLAH!!! I hope UBI corrects this mistake somehow and from now on puts more attention on historical facts.

Jesus christ, you know how to search wikipedia, good job soldier!
Seriously, didnt you just post that to look cool while you hoped to get kudos from the forum?

kathalepsis
03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Thank you for your replies and your information about wikipedia. I'll consider that next time. My only purpose was to remind a historical fact whatever wiki or the others say and I believe all who read this discussion will now that Turks are not saracens. I myself liked the game. Yeah it's a lesser imitation of POP but i still like the game.

Robbinho1992
03-14-2008, 09:59 AM
If you read the start, it says not everything is going to be Historically correct.

iPlunder
03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
He is still pathetic.

zgubilici
03-14-2008, 10:09 PM
iPlunder, I've asked you before to refrain from such remarks.
Please don't do it again - thanks.

iPlunder
03-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Sorry. I take my anger out on people i don't know. I'll stop.

Crash_Plague
03-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't agree with the remarks being made towards him (particularly Plunder http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif)

I actually thought it was quite interesting what he had to say, (or rather quote from wiki), I didn't know that before.

But to the OP, you should remember that Ubi is still a game company, and they will almost always sacrifice details of facts over the details of a good game.

iPlunder
03-16-2008, 03:42 PM
But crash http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Remember that time you hit that dog with your tractor and i helped you nurse it back to health?!

If it wasn't for me you would have had to tell young sally why little mrs buttercup wasn't going to be at her teaparty!

DeadCorpseAC
03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> More importantly, one shouldn't mistake Assassin's Creed for Encyclopedia Britanica. Its influences are historical for entertainment purposes, not as reference material. I'd personally nitpick a pile of hay preventing certain death from a thirty story drop before worrying about a flag.

Ha!
Imagine your Humanities teacher teaching you history via "Leap of Faith". xD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be cool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Crash_Plague
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by iPlunder:
But crash http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Remember that time you hit that dog with your tractor and i helped you nurse it back to health?!

If it wasn't for me you would have had to tell young sally why little mrs buttercup wasn't going to be at her teaparty!

*sigh* Yeah, I remember. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I don't see what that has to do with this. All I was saying was not to be so hard on the <STRIKE>idiot</STRIKE> [lovely forumer who wanted to express his opinion whilst you were online.] (really the same thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif )