PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions...

GuruSY
06-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm a newbie to the game and I am currently reading guides and collecting information as I practice my basic flying and gunnery skills.

I have a few questions that may be too advanced for me at this point, but they are nagging me:

1. Is there a reason to not have the radiator completely open? I know that if you open it, it prevents overheating, but why wouldn't you just leave it open at all times?

2. What is fuel mixture and when would someone use it? (I realize I will need a complex guide on this, but I just want a high-level overview).

3. Same question as #2 only for Prop Pitch.

Thank you!

Rakkasan1967
06-13-2008, 11:00 AM
1. Yes. it will give you more speed and some types of A/C will maneuver better with rad closed.
2. Fuel to air ratio. At higher alt you need to decrease mix. You will know when to do it when you engine belches smoke and bogs down.
3. It is the angle of attack or incidence of the blade to the airflow. Higher pitch = higher engine RPM. It can also be used to rapidly accelerate or slow down.

Zeus-cat
06-13-2008, 05:27 PM
1. If your radiator flaps are open enemy gunfire can damage your engine more easily. They also cause drag which will slow down your plane.

jayhall0315
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
GuruSY,
The questions you ask are good but encompass many variables and therefore, take a look at these two articles:

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=knowledge_base&op=show&kid=249

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2751038856

The first will help you with CEM and the latter will give you a little heads up into the online parts of IL2.

Cheers Flight Leader http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jay

Skycat_2
06-13-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd just like to add that 'radiator' is a generic term and its actual meaning is dependent on the plane you are flying. Some planes literally have a liquid radiator located either externally or internally on the airframe. Others have air cooled engines and use cowl flaps to regulate the flow of air; opening the flaps more allows air to circulate through the engine area faster but the flaps' extended position causes extra drag in return.

In real life, operating instructions were issued to pilots that were designed to get the best performance from the plane under specific conditions. In some instances selecting the prop pitch might simply be a fine-tune control to achieve a predetermined engine setting and cruise speed for a given altitude. Remember that most flying isn't (and shouldn't be) done at the plane's rated top speed.

strider1
06-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Generally, opening the rads or cowl flaps should be part of your pre-takeoff check list. Keep your engine as cool as possible or it will fail you at the most critical time---in combat when you're pushing it the most. It will take longer to overheat if you start combat in a cool state.

Open cowl flaps can reduce speed by as much as 15-20 km/hr. It can make the difference when trying to escape that pesky guy on your six. When BnZ'ing, close them during the dive and minimal manuevering with the bogey, open them during the zoom unless you're being chased. Get away and open them until you pick the time to re-enter the engagment.

Good question about an important control that many don't think about. Get used to them and it will become second nature.

Best of luck, m8!

Strider1

general_kalle
06-14-2008, 10:57 AM
reduce Prop Pitch to something like 70-80% when you dive and increase it to 100 when you climb.

also reducing it to 70-80 on long cruises will spare Fuel