PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassingly newb-esque question- Superchargers

FlatSpinMan
05-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi all. I have been playing this sim fairly regularly for a fair while now but still profess to ignorance about the superchargers. I have read the readmes but am still not clear. Yes, I am clearly a doltish buffoon undeserving of your time and effort but I'll press on nonetheless.
Do I switch supercharger to Stage 1 <span class="ev_code_RED">at take-off </span>or over 2-300m (depending on plane)? I know that around 2-3000m many planes need to change but I don't know if it's from Stage 1 to 2 or from nothing to Stage 1.
Anyone hook a brother up with some info?

anasteksi
05-25-2006, 08:46 AM
When you start the charger is at the stage 1. You only have to switch it between 2500 and 3000m to stage 2. Some aircrafts has 3 stages and i don't remember how high charger should be changed to stage 3.

FlatSpinMan
05-25-2006, 08:51 AM
No way?! Never knew that. Why do I have a button that controls changing to stage one, then?

stathem
05-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Your Supercharger will be in stage 1 by default when you are on the ground, and it should stay there.

There are many different supercharger configurations in different a/c, some auto, some 2 stage, some 3. There's no one rule to rule them all, but if you are familar with the MAP gauge, in those with manually switched blower speeds, switch to stage 2 (or 3) when the needle starts to drop as you climb (obv. that's drop of its own accord, not 'cos you reduced throttle.) I think the 2 Geramn fighters are all auto, likewise the Spits. (IX definately, V I think.)

There's so many to find out about, I only recently realised that the I-153 has a 2-stage blower.

If I had to guess I'd say that most should be switched at about 8000 feet.

stathem
05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
No way?! Never knew that. Why do I have a button that controls changing to stage one, then?

So you can switch it back when you go back down.

domenlovrec
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
And stage 3 at 15.000 feet (US planes that have this).

FlatSpinMan
05-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Ah-ha. All making sense. Thanks for the info, gents http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif