PDA

View Full Version : Prop pitch with CEM Off

Sillius_Sodus
11-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi,

Although I fly pretty much full switch now, when I started to play IL2 it was with CEM off. I was wondering what prop pitch is used if you turn CEM off. 100% all the time? Variable? Thanks.

Freiwillige
11-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Well it depends on the aircraft. Some use 100% all the time..usually the slow and under powered ones. I found that on faster birds the lowest I will set it is about 85% .

The FW-190's dont use manual prop pitch at all. The Germans invented this weird and very basic computer that controlls mixture and pitch automatically!

You are just going to have to experiment with each aircraft, But I can tell you that speed has alot to do with pitch and you should use 100% for take off and steep climbs. Its like a gear selector in a car 100% is first gear...Use it when you want power and your at a lower speed. But remember its a balancing act because lower pitch setings bite more air and slow down your RPM's....If the RPM's get too low than your losing horse power.

Also use prop pitch to cruise farther I.E. 50% throttle and 75% pitch is a good average cruise setting to extend range.

Hope this helps

dirkpit7
11-15-2008, 10:11 AM
When CEM is off you can't control prop pitch at all.