PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest looking targeting system in a game to date!

Hashshashbrowny
11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
*NOTE: I could only find topics about this in 2007 about the first AC which I didn't want to dig up.

Now... with all the complaints about the unaesthetic looking targeting system in AC1, I'm surprised you guys at Ubisoft have stuck it into AC2. I mean, with so much detail put into the character modeling, shadowing, and blood effects which all add to the immersion of the game, why would you put in this flashy glowing effect on characters. Its comparable to putting an orange tip on a toy gun, it takes away from the realism. For the most part it does work, and it works well don't get me wrong, but it definitely upstages the graphics. An arrow would have sufficed. Or nothing at all because when your in fight mode, theres already a depth of field view, and when your fighting it only takes pointing the left joystick towards a different enemy to attack them.

What really gets me is that there are options to remove everything from the hud except the one thing that I wanted to remove which was the flashy targeting system http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif. Like wtf, seriously, c'mon.

I still love the game in all other facets, but this is my only gripe. so if anyone from Ubi reads my cries, all I ask for is please put an option to remove that part of the hud too (in your upcoming update wink wink). Give me your thoughts people.

Velvit
11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I like it. Sometimes I wouldn't know who I was targeting. Since the animus is all hi tech I think I goes with it. How else would you want to aim

monkeyuncle8
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
they actually put that to make it more realistic, because they kinda wanna remind you that you are in the animus

TooLazy4Name
11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
well, Ezio is a assassin, perhaps this is the -eagle vision targeting- or something? i for one think it helps alot with targeting, i like it as to...a big orange arrow over their head. lawl.

Hashshashbrowny
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
^^pssst.... they already have big orange, red and yellow arrows above their heads.

I see your justification of the targeting system being like it is. But I'm not asking if it fits in with the story, that I already know. What I'm asking is what you really feel about how it looks (on its own as a style of targeting system).

If they toned it down a lot, enough that it wouldn't take away from gameplay, it would look a lot crisper in my opinion. When you remove the whole hud, the screen looks so clean and the graphics look great but as soon as there are enemies - theirs the hud again.

EDIT: it seems to be a trend nowadays to have hud elements on the characters themselves as opposed to an indicator above their heads. the difference is the flashy glowyness on the characters is too dominating over the graphics. An arrow indicator is classic looking yes but it does the job without deforming the graphics. Another alternative would be to tone it down so the whole character doesn't light up like a christmas tree.