PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with the AI Bf 109 G6A/S outrunning me in the P-51D - what am I doing

sledgehammer2
02-13-2006, 04:34 AM
I have been following the thread on the -51D and its performance, so I don't know if this is related, but maybe someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. I start in a -51D at about 17000' against a Bf109 G6. This is over Ardennes Summer... I am using CEM with rad closed. I try to not make too many turns but instead dive and then zoom back up so I can build E. I do this a few times and get the IAS up without sacrificing too much alt.

To skip to the punchline I have tried stalking the 109 and just going right after him, and it doesn't seem like I can get close enough to him to shoot him down. I was able to get in range a couple of times and I got some hit s but not enough to bring him down. The majority of the time he was so much faster than me I couldn't get him in range. I trim and use the rudder pedals but it doesn't seem to matter.

Very frustrating... if anyone can give me some hints I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Sledgehammer2

Meshsmoother
02-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
I have been following the thread on the -51D and its performance, so I don't know if this is related, but maybe someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. I start in a -51D at about 17000' against a Bf109 G6. This is over Ardennes Summer... I am using CEM with rad closed. I try to not make too many turns but instead dive and then zoom back up so I can build E. I do this a few times and get the IAS up without sacrificing too much alt.

To skip to the punchline I have tried stalking the 109 and just going right after him, and it doesn't seem like I can get close enough to him to shoot him down. I was able to get in range a couple of times and I got some hit s but not enough to bring him down. The majority of the time he was so much faster than me I couldn't get him in range. I trim and use the rudder pedals but it doesn't seem to matter.

Very frustrating... if anyone can give me some hints I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Sledgehammer2

S! I suppose you are referring to an AI G6/AS. The ideal thing would be not let him go up in first place. When you face it in QMB AI pilot will do a slight climb and then dive on you while head-on. While he's diving on you, just shot at him and keep slightly climbing until he passes you, he will then level and dive turn to regain E/speed and separation. At this point you have the control of the fight. Don't follow him down, just track him and wait until he climbs back. This way you'll keep your E and advantage state while he'd have to trade E/speed for altitude! From this point on all you have to do is keep your P51-D higher than him forcing him to dive/extend until you shot him down. If you just couldn't avoid being outclimbed by the G6/AS, it will take some time but you will catch it again. Set your trim 9 clicks nose down to minimize your E loss and your rudder trim 10 clicks right to keep your Mustang steady on target for possible snapshot gun solutions. The G6/AS will keep climbing while applying some rudder to fool your aiming, so you just have to climb smoothly while closing on his turn: At a certain point he will be forced to dive again (because overheat or because you're gaining on him after the his initial E advantage) and you can startover to control the fight as described above. I usually set the G6/AS as enemy (2x, Ace level) on QMB for training with the P51-D-5NA, because it's the most tricky of them all to catch and kill. Hope this helps.

=S=

T.

Chuck_Older
02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
There's a forumla to beat all the AI I think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But what I'm doing now in the P-51D is to make ~45* dives to build up about 400mph IAS, then climb at about 60*. I make sure to make smooth stick movements to preserve speed

You can zoom this way pretty well, I did 5 quick dives and climbs to get to 10K feet from 4k last night, took about 5 minutes. 5 minutes to go 6K feet isn't fast, but I did it while moving pretty quickly, and it allowed me to gain height AND seperation from the enemy. I haven't worked out the tactic all the way through yet but you might give it a try

Grey_Mouser67
02-13-2006, 11:46 AM
speedy AI...its a bug and it allows the AI to run on boost, rad. closed, max rpms indefinitely.

sledgehammer2
02-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I appreciate the answers. Mesh, I thought I was doing this last night. I tried one time to just dive after him , but the next go-round I stayed above him. Even when he climbed back up and lost some speed I still could not catch him. So the G6/AS is harder to catch than say, the G-10?

Meshsmoother
02-14-2006, 05:50 AM
G6/As and K4 are the most difficult to catch, I'm afraid, and the ones that will keep climbing on your six even when you judge them should be out of E... I can catch'em but it takes a while, and often get bored of gaining on him soooo slowly, so I just dive and that stupid AI will dive as soon as I pass 30?, so he get caught low again. Anyway, QMB's are useful to learn how a plane behaves and to train on gunnery, but useless for getting ready to go online and do well because there are too many variables there that you won't face on AI fights. Only a good 109 pilot will outrun/outclimb your P51D online on 4.03, so don't worry!! just be fast stay high!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

=S=

T.

Xiolablu3
02-14-2006, 09:05 AM
HI there!

The G6A/S is misleading by its number, many have said before it should be called G10A/S or G14A/S.

It is the best 109 in the game in my opinion, it has the streamlined fuselage of the K4 and retractable tailwheel and without the heavy MK108 in the nose it turns a lot better than the other late 109's.

It IS very close to the P51 in performance and will most likely climb better (tiny little plane with powerful engine), you have to use tricks to counter the 109's climb, I think you are fast than him in a dive and level speed.