PDA

View Full Version : Somebody sank my battleship

LouLewis1967
06-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Playing 1.5 with no mods. I was tracking a TF west of Luzon on Christmas eve '41 and managed to put 2 fish in a Kongo BB. After some evading of the screening destroyers I popped up at least twice and observed the Kongo smoking and listing to port but still making about 10 kts. In looking over the other ships I did not see any others that had been hit.

Fast forward about two hours, I'm speeding at full and getting ahead of them again on my port side. I started to notice that the lead destroyer was getting well ahead of the main column, and as I looked back the smoking ship suddenly exploded. Multiple secondary explosions and she went down within a minute. But as she was sinking I noticed a second smoking ship in line and making the same course. There were two smoke plumes until the one sank. I'm almost positive I didn't hit two ships. Little confused. This was night conditions so I don't think an allied plane could have been out. Are there other allied subs out?

Gathrun
06-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I imagine they got sloppy and collided. You should have gotten credit for sinking the BB.

cmdrmoosicvs
06-13-2010, 08:50 PM
LouLewis1967
It is my understanding that there are no other allied subs out there to steal your kill. There are enemy subs although it is said to be a rare thing to come across. Your captains log will verify your kongo.
I have seen nearby ships damaged by secondary explosions of ships I have torpedoed and I suspect that is what happened in your case.
Happy hunting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LouLewis1967
06-14-2010, 05:43 AM
I guess I'm willing to buy that the BB blew up and damaged a nearby ship. But my log in the patrol does not show that I got credit for it. This did happen over a couple of days, and I had saved and reloaded the game between the torpedo hits and the ship blowing up. Could that have caused it to not credit me with the sinking?

cmdrmoosicvs
06-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Well, Lou, I have to admit that I am stumped. I agree that it probably wasn't aircraft. I heard that if you break contact on a wounded target for a length of time, of which I'm not certain, and do not re-aquire it will be as though you never attacked it. The same thing happened to me with a destroyer except I was able to mantain visual in my TBT and I got credit when it finally blew to smithereens on its own (much to my relief). I wish I had an answer, but all I can say is WELCOME TO SH4 where anything can happen and usually does! Best game I've ever played in my life!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LouLewis1967
06-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I guess it could be a distance/lost contact thing. By the time the destroyers gave up on finding me the main TF was 20k to 25K yards away.

Oh well, it was a fun attack. Just a bit frustrating for all the time I put into it to see it blow up before I could get into position for a second shot.

cmdrmoosicvs
06-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I think it may be a time deal,that is , from what I've heard, 30 minutes is the key. if the destroyers lose contact of you for 30 minutes, they give up. Maybe then, if you lose contact after 30 minutes, being it took 30 minutes for the BB to travel 5 miles, and sank on its own, you didn't get the credit. It's unfortunate, and I'm probably wrong anyway. Don't worry though, In the time I've been playing, I've found there is success around every corner.