PDA

View Full Version : Skip bombing

WTE_Ibis
11-08-2004, 03:27 AM
Has anyone else noticed that that now you cannot sink a ship with a 1000lb bomb skip bombing.
Before PF, 10 hits 10 ships destroyed,now 10 hits no ships destroyed. Since when did they have
"shields up" in the Pacific campaign?????
Anyone else experiencing this??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

VF-29_Sandman
11-08-2004, 10:35 AM
havent tried it lately. wonder if they got the 500 and the 1-2000 pounders mixed up like they did with the a-20 parafrag load out

georgeo76
11-08-2004, 10:52 AM
If your talking about cargo ships, I've sent them to the bottom w/ 500lb bombs(skipped), it may take less, haven't tried.

If your talking about Destroyers, I've 86 'em w/ 1000lb bombs(skipped), might take less, haven't tried.

Larger ships prob take more (they should take more) but I've not tried to bomb Cruisers, battleships, or Carriers yet.

I've found is that Ja fishing boats (armed or not) cannot be sunk w/ MG-Cannon fire (or @ least I've not been able to) you can shred their sails, but haven't sunk them yet. Also, bombs seem to be ineffective unless you get a direct hit. This should not be so. a 1000lb bomb exploding within feet of a ship should cause damage.

I wonder if skipped bombing is too effective. It's by far the easiest way to hit a ship w/ an egg, and the bomb always skips for a predictable distance, in a straight line, and never malfunctions. Knowing how much went into the dam buster bombs, I wonder if skipping is very realistic. Skipped bombs seem to be like short range torpedoes.

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Skip bombing was used extensively in the Pacific theater against light shipping (non-armored hulls) precisely because it is the easiest way for a non-dive-bomber to score a hit. I think Destroyers were the largest ship without armor so it should be effective against anything that size or lighter.

For B-25's and A-20's in particular this was the only reliable means of sinking ships. I'm not sure whether TBF's used this technique but I imagine so since they are not dive bombers.

I've never heard of the Japanese using this technique but that certainly doesn't mean they didn't.

Simjock
11-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Most capital class warships in the Pacific had thick steel armor belts around the water line to protect against torpedos, and direct fire from other capital ships.
I'm not sure if these armor belts are now simulated in PF, but if they are then droping bombs on the vulnerable decks should be modeled too.

BinaryFalcon
11-08-2004, 01:45 PM
A Japanese carrier can be taken out with 4,000 lbs. of skipped bombs (1x 2,000 + 2x 1,000).

Not sure about smaller loads or larger carriers as I haven't tried those yet.