PDA

View Full Version : Nav room questions

darko000
03-24-2005, 02:54 AM
Ok I am very new to this game but have a question. Is there any point in using the compass and drawing teh circles. I mean is that only for your own reference or do the ships really show up inside the circle if its drawn. enemy ships. Would it be possible to interecept without using compass and ruler, somebody help me out with this?

Lebowski-
03-24-2005, 03:00 AM
That all really depends on your realism settings... The more real you make it, the more you depend on all those manual tools.

I find it much more rewarding and tense playing on the hard or realistic settings, but to each their own.

darko000
03-24-2005, 03:02 AM
ok but could you explain to me the purpose of it all.. i am playing on 37% realism.. i am very new to this

Frederf220
03-24-2005, 03:39 AM
The compass is just a drawing tool. Drawing the circle doesn't make your detection of ships change at all.

It is possible to intercept without compass and ruler, but you have to guess how to do it.

The point of the drawing tools is to use them to make it easier to figure out what to do. You use what you know about yourself and the target to use math and geometry to figure out what you should do to meet the target.

The steps are you draw where you think the target will be in the next few hours. Then you plan how fast and what direction you go to be at the same place as him at the same time.

axeman3d
03-24-2005, 04:21 AM
The higher the realism settings, the more you will need the drawing tools that are provided. I am not the most maths-capable person but even I have used the tools to work out where the hell a ship was in weather so bad I kept passing it without spotting it. I would stop and listen with the hydrophones, get the general bearing of the ship and then put a mark on the map on that bearing. Next I sail for a while and do the same again, stop and take a bearing, then mark the map. After 2 or 3 bearings you can then draw a line through the marks that gives you a rough idea of the course of the ship, and you can then refine the lot until you can be pretty confident of his course and even speed if you're taking notes. It's very rewarding to actually do this yourself and not have it handed to you on a plate, the sense of achievement when you actually track the ship down is all the greater.

MooseNoodles
03-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Well that idea is almost right. :P apart from the fact you cant just draw a line through the contacts after so many placements of them and find a course lol. Be nice if you could http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To do what the last poster said you would also need ranges as well to determine the general course the target is taking specially in bad weath, as trying to see his bow angle to guess heading is no fun lol. Doing this would help in yourself being able to shadow the target/s at a paralell course and then make for an intercept line ahead of the targets, in which then a 90 degree turn towards them would put them coming across your bow abeam for a nice tdc setup.

Add to this if needs be anyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif more info the better.

darko000
03-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Ok, here is my problem. When i spot the ship on nav map it is represented by a small quare with a tail on one end. Now the tail shows which way the ship is heading. So if i pull straight line, find out the ships speed, i can pretty much guess, in how many hours it will be at the location.. don't need a compass right?

Bulwark_
03-24-2005, 10:09 AM
No, the tail is the ships wake!

MooseNoodles
03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
and the tail dont represent true course its just a guestimated area he was last seen. He might of turned about alot by the time you get anywhere near it.

Frederf220
03-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Hehe, the tail points where the ship has been (like a trail). It's just like your own sub on the map. Notice if you look at your tail its pointing where you just were.

axeman3d
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Moosenoodles, the technique is to stop and listen, then place a mark at the estimated range of the ship on the correct bearing from your sub. Loud=close, faint=far away. Do this over the course of a few hours and you'll find you can quite quickly interpolate where his base course is and get close enough to refine the track and find him. It sure as hell neats running around straight at the sonar bearing and missing him. It allows you some chance of getting in a firing position before the ship is on top of you.