PDA

View Full Version : historical maximum dive speeds

BenQ-the-Hawk
02-17-2006, 06:45 AM
hi folks do ya know where i can get historical maximum dive speeds from different planes??

want to do some math with them especially for the matter of differen acceleration while diving!

BenQ-the-Hawk
02-17-2006, 06:45 AM
hi folks do ya know where i can get historical maximum dive speeds from different planes??

want to do some math with them especially for the matter of differen acceleration while diving!

BenQ-the-Hawk
02-17-2006, 07:17 AM
would be great to get some answers!
thx

StG2_Schlachter
02-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Bin mir nicht ganz sicher, aber schau mal in die Handb├╝cher. Ist sowas dort nicht angegeben?

Hier ist eine kleine Auswahl:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/bibl_r.html

BenQ-the-Hawk
02-17-2006, 07:30 AM
danke schlachter

Viper2005_
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
You can generally find dive limits in the pilot's notes, which for many British WWII aircraft are available online (eg Mustang III, Tempest V, Spitfire...).

In the case of the Spitfire, the merlin powered versions had a structural limit of around 470 mph IAS, and the later griffon varients could go to ~ 520 mph IAS, although some problems were encountered at those speeds (I think they knocked the limit back to about 500 or 510 for a while whilst they tried to iron out the bugs).

These limiting speeds were attained by every Spitfire built as part of routine production testing, and things shouldn't start to fall off until slightly higher speeds are reached.

As for the Mustang, you may find this chart of interest:

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/P-51/P-51OLL.gif

Slickun
02-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, the max dive speeds were exceeded in the pilot's manual by nearly every plane and pilot that flew.

Most US planes could get near the mach .8 area, slightly over or under. I said most.

"America's 100,000" is a great resource to get what pilots could actually do, regardless of what the pilot's manual said. P-51 pilots ignored the 505 mph max. P-47 pilots just pointed the nose down and went.

BenQ-the-Hawk
02-18-2006, 10:27 AM
where the limits because of structural limits or because the planes didn't get faster
because the gravityforce and enginforce was equal to the airresistance?
Fa = Fg + Fe?

Slickun
02-18-2006, 12:21 PM
At mach .85 or so the propellor acts as an airbrake. Prop planes in ww2 just couldn't go past it, even if they could be controlled at those speeds.

The Mustang was still controllable at mach .85, although on the verge of structural failure.

See Spitfire performance website for several documents describing the superb-to-the-point-of dangerous dive acceleration, and top end speeds of the P-51.