PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get [Name Edited out] to function and configure

Tuba21940
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I am trying to get [Name Edited out] to function. The program functions with the skull screen. However, when trying to configure the virtual joystick (PPJoy) nothing happens. I just click for the "Center joystick", "move Joystick", and "center". Then when setting the axes, with the show results turned on, the numbers never change when I move my head. This is reinforced when at the end of configuration the "Test" bars also never move. Needles to say no 6DOF occurs in IL-2 when it is run. I am seeking input on what I might be doing wrong.
Thanks
Jim

FoolTrottel
02-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Jim, I edited your post as you were using the name of a product that is currently not allowed to be used on these forums.

(Don't ask why, it's just the way it is currently)

Tuba21940
02-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Sorry! Saw there were many posts about this on this form so thought it was a OK topic. Thanks for the edit and not removing the question.

FoolTrottel
02-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Saw there were many posts about this on this form
Hm, I just hope those are quite old ones? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Tuba21940
02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
You are safe. I was using the "find" function so they probably were older questions and help reply. Was paying attention to finding questions & solutions already posted before asking, not the dates..

julian265
02-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Why are you using ppjoy with the tracker?

The tracker will talk directly to IL2.

Tuba21940
02-06-2010, 09:40 PM
julian265
Well Julian it doesn't seem to want to work for me and no one seems to give any help or step by step instructions so I am trying anything included with the program or that that might work. I will go back and delete the virtual joy stick and give it another try. Thanks for trying to set me on the right track.

julian265
02-07-2010, 04:31 AM
It's been a while since I set mine up (it works perfectly, so the setup process is not fresh in my memory). I can assure you that there was no magic involved, however. It's a good program, but you do have to search for help online. (there some some good videos around).

Lets start from scratch... in your conf.ini, have you set trackIRUse to 1?

When you minimise the program, and have your camera on, and LEDs in position and on, do you see a green, red, or grey dot in the taskbar?

In the tracking program, press the "output" button, then in the "main" tab, make sure "trackIR interface" is ticked.

Tuba2004
02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Julian,
Thanks for the reply. Here are the settings I am using for the XXXXXXX program. What do I need to change or am I not doing something outside the xxxxxxxx program. I believe I have both IL-2 1946 and Battle of Britain II set in their configuration files to use head tracking.

XxxXxxxx 2.2 Settings
2-7-10
CAMERA
Brightness= 24, Contrast = 1.00, Gamma = 0.46, Hue = -73
Saturation = 0.00, Sharpness = 0.00
Indoor, 60Hz
USB Bandwidth = 6 with Auto unchecked, Exposure = 29 checked but grayed out
White Balance: Red = 1.03, Blue = 0.98
Extra Controls: No boxes checked

Camera Frame Rate: Actual Webcam FPS = 30, Multiplier = Auto, Output =120
Point Size Min. = 2 pixel, Max = 30 pixel
Orientation: Yaw = 0, Pitch = 0, Roll = 0
Calibration: Sensor width = 30 mm, Focal Length = 3.7 (AUTO is grayed out)
Threshold: set about 7/10 toward right side
Microsoft Life VX-3000 with IR filter removed and 3.5" recording disk material over the lens.
FPS= 18 to 20 with “Auto Exposure” box unchecked in the camera screen
JPS = 000
Profile Settings Map
Yaw = (yaw), Pitch = (pitch), Roll = (roll), X = (X), Y = (Y), Z = (Z)
Sensitivity = 0.0, Smoothing = 15, Invert = no boxes are checked
Output Tab:
FreeTrack and TrackIR boxed are checked
Mouse and PPJoy boxes are not checked
Global Tab
Yaw, Pitch, and Roll at 2.9
X Y and Z set at 1.4
Zoom smoothing = 42
Smoothing at about midpoint (50)
General Options: Confirm close, Auto min, and Auto load boxes are checked
Stream Capture Properties
Video Standard = None Frame Rate = 30.00
Color Space = RGB 24 Output Size = 320 X 240
Tracker Unit
3 point hat with SHF485P IR bulbs connected in series to give 48 mA
Using 9 volt 350mA phone transformer which LED Setup Wizard adjusted to 11.7
volts for processing calculation. Used one (1) 150 Ohm resistor

All seems to work very well with skull turning in X & Y axis but with very little roll when tilting head to the side. Have tried creating a virtual joystick with PPJoy but had no success getting it to calibrate in Control Panel with the Game Controller tab. (“Settings” did not recognize any head movements)
No response in IL-2 1946, Battle of Britain II, Flight Simulator X Gold Ed., or Over Flanders Fields.

CAMERA
Brightness= 24, Contrast = 1.00, Gamma = 0.46, Hue = -73
Saturation = 0.00, Sharpness = 0.00
Indoor, 60Hz
USB Bandwidth = 6 with Auto unchecked, Exposure = 29 checked but grayed out
White Balance: Red = 1.03, Blue = 0.98
Extra Controls: No boxes checked

Camera Frame Rate: Actual Webcam FPS = 30, Multiplier = Auto, Output =120
Point Size Min. = 2 pixel, Max = 30 pixel
Orientation: Yaw = 0, Pitch = 0, Roll = 0
Calibration: Sensor width = 30 mm, Focal Length = 3.7 (AUTO is grayed out)
Threshold: set about 7/10 toward right side
Microsoft Life VX-3000 with IR filter removed
FPS= 18 to 20 with “Auto Exposure” box unchecked in the camera screen
JPS = 000
Profile Settings Map
Yaw = (yaw), Pitch = (pitch), Roll = (roll), X = (X), Y = (Y), Z = (Z)
Sensitivity = 0.0, Smoothing = 15, Invert = no boxes are checked
Output Tab:
FreeTrack and TrackIR boxed are checked
Mouse and PPJoy boxes are not checked
Global Tab
Yaw, Pitch, and Roll at 2.9
X Y and Z set at 1.4
Zoom smoothing = 42
Smoothing at about midpoint (50)
General Options: Confirm close, Auto min, and Auto load boxes are checked
Stream Capture Properties
Video Standard = None Frame Rate = 30.00
Color Space = RGB 24 Output Size = 320 X 240
Tracker Unit
3 point hat with SHF485P IR bulbs connected in series to give 48 mA
Using 9 volt 350mA phone transformer which LED Setup Wizard adjusted to 11.7
volts for processing calculation. Used one (1) 150 Ohm resistor

All seems to work very well with skull turning in X & Y axis but with very little roll when tilting head to the side. Have tried creating a virtual joystick with PPJoy but had no success getting it to calibrate in Control Panel with the Game Controller tab. (“Settings” did not recognize any head movements)
No response in IL-2 1946, Battle of Britain II, Flight Simulator X Gold Ed., or Over Flanders Fields.

julian265
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Tuba2004:
Julian,
Thanks for the reply. Here are the settings I am using for the XXXXXXX program. What do I need to change or am I not doing something outside the xxxxxxxx program. I believe I have both IL-2 1946 and Battle of Britain II set in their configuration files to use head tracking.

I use the same camera! It gives a constant 30FPS, but you might need to play around with the settings to get that rate. I'll copy up my camera settings when I get a chance.

You believe, or are you sure that trackIRuse is set to 1 in IL2's conf.ini? If it is 0, IL2 will ignore any head tracker.

Do you use XP, vista, or 7? Any vista or 7 problems I'm not able to help with... And I do recall hearing about some difficulties with the tracker and vista/7.

Tuba2004
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Julian,
I checked (never hurts to make sure) and "trackIRuse is set for 1.

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

I am using XP Pro Service Pack 3. AMD 2412 Mhz 2GB ram. I'll work on the FPS and see if I can get it up to 30FPS

julian265
02-08-2010, 03:43 AM
after you have donned your LEDS, turned them on, and have minimised the tracker in run mode, is the dot in the task bar green, red or grey?

I'll host some pics of my tracker settings, and PM you some links.

Tuba2004
02-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Julian they are green unless I turn too far and the camera looses one of them. Everything seems to work in the tracker program. It is just when I try to apply the XxxXxxx program in a simulation that nothing happens.

julian265
02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty much stumped. Have you read my PM?

Tuba2004
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi Julian. Sorry I had some work tonight. I was able to tweek a few things and now it partly works in IL-2 1946. I can move the view about 45 degrees in the cockpit so I have the forward right and left view but not to 90 degrees or beyond. Can't seem to find how to get the view to move further. Also still have 20FPS as the best camera rate. I don't know if I could uncheck the grayedout "Exposure" on the camera settings if I would get the 30FPS.
Still doesn't respond in BOB II, light Sim X, or the others.

julian265
02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
use the program called "enable button" or enbtn.exe to uncheck the uncheckable!

have you used the same stream/camera settings from my screenshots?

You might need decrease the minimum dot size, and increase the sensitivity to get more movement.

What LED arrangement do you use?

julian265
02-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Tuba2004:
Hi Julian. Sorry I had some work tonight. I was able to tweek a few things and now it partly works in IL-2 1946. I can move the view about 45 degrees in the cockpit so I have the forward right and left view but not to 90 degrees or beyond. Can't seem to find how to get the view to move further. Also still have 20FPS as the best camera rate. I don't know if I could uncheck the grayedout "Exposure" on the camera settings if I would get the 30FPS.
Still doesn't respond in BOB II, light Sim X, or the others.

I just read that it can sometimes help to make sure that your webcam is not in the same pair of USB ports as your joystick, or other frequently polled equipment. In other words, try putting your webcam into one of the front USB ports, if equipped, or in a different pair than your other equipment uses.