PDA

View Full Version : Any Linux users?

Pirschjaeger
06-21-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I heard that Linux was very stable. I'm currently putting together a new pc. I was thinking of turning to Linux since Windows hasn't been so good.

I was wondering if any simmers were using Linux and I wanted to hear about their experiences.

Fritz

rnzoli
06-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Yeah, me.

In brief - because being OT here.

My new PC has dual XP and Linux (SuSE) installed
Windows XP is is "relatively" stable at little effort.
Linux is very stable and secure, but needs lots of maintenance.
Only install Linux if you are interested to spend time learning it. Skip it otherwise.

Besides doing all my bank transactions under Linux for security reasons, I also fly occasionally with FlightGear (http://www.flightgear.org/). They are also very keen on realistic simulation, and not just eye-candy. Not near IL2, mostly civilian stuff, although some developers did some work on tracers. Anyhow,
just by signing up for their distribution lists can give a good insight how these sims are designed.

That's why I really-really appreciate the work Oleg and his gang done so far.

F16_Abe
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Since the event of windows XP I feel that the need for Linux has grown less. There are some amasing free software for it though. Among others a powerful photoshop clone GIMP, openOffice etc, etc. The windows connectivity still is not very good, so you could as well not buy the computer if IL2 is the only thing you want. A dual setup on the other hand is what I recommend, to get the best of both worlds. A complete Linux installation is only around 10Gig, so you will hardly notice it on the drive.

/Abe

Aaron_GT
06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Win XP/Suse 9.2 dual boot here too.

Linux actually tends to need fewer updates than Win XP, it is just that you tend to get a ton of additional applications by default with the typical Linux distribution, and there are security updates for all of these. If you set up an automatic update via yast2 on SuSE it isn't very hard to keep up with them (no harder than with automatic updates on windows xp).

If you want to play IL2, you are best off with windows. Whilst you can use something like cedega to play IL2 itself driver support for ATI cards and trackIR is poor.

rnzoli
06-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
If you set up an automatic update via yast2 on SuSE it isn't very hard to keep up with them (no harder than with automatic updates on windows xp).

Ehm....not always so. Every time there is an automatic kernel update (195 MB x 6 times / year), I have to manually recompile and install the add-on modul for my on-board Ethernet port.

If you want to play IL2, you are best off with windows.

Good summary. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Lunix
06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Been using it since the late/mid ninties. Its a great OS and the amount of applications that come with it free are stagering. Unless you are a bit of a computer enthusiast and would like to learn more about how computers work, get more power and have more control over your machine it may not be right for you. If you want a stable "it just works platform" you may be let down. While XP isnt the end all be all its a little more brain dead. Linux is great in that if you can learn or know how to set something up it will "just work" and will tend to be more stable and reliable.

VV_Holdenb
06-21-2005, 10:53 AM
I too have dual boot XP and Linux (SuSE) installed. One hd XP and another Linux.
Most of my work (Bioinformatics) is Linux based.

I really like SuSE , compared with others flavours I have tried such as Redhat, Slackware and Mandrake, just because the installation is was so painless. Through most importantly your NEED Windoze to play IL2.

Zayets
06-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Main desktop :
P4 2.4Ghz,1GBRam,Ti4600 : Slackware 10.1 , kernel 2.6.10/2.6.11.11 + Dropline
Mobile:
Inspiron P3 1Ghz,512MB Ram,GeF2 Go, FreeBSD 5.3
Mobile:
Acer P4 1.4Ghz,512MB+Intel Video Shared,Slackware 10.1 kernel 2.4.29/2.6.10/2.6.11.11 + Flux/XFCE
Work:
Some HP new junk Fedora Core 4 fresh install,single boot,being Java dev is more than perfect.
Of course, I have an exclusive WinXP machine,where I play IL2 (not too much recently http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

Pirschjaeger
06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Good, thx for the replies. I have no quams about having to learn something new. I had to learn a lot about pcs and a little about software simple because windows is ,... well, not so dependable.

My new pc has a 64bit processer and I wanna get the best out of my pc. BTW, this pc is only for PF until BOB is out, then it's soley for BoB.

Windows doesn't support 64 but yet but Linux does. I just want something more stable and something I can have more control over. Linux sounds good to me.

Fritz

Aaron_GT
06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Ehm....not always so. Every time there is an automatic kernel update (195 MB x 6 times / year), I have to manually recompile and install the add-on modul for my on-board Ethernet port.

Bar some wireless cards, notably centrino (Intel's centrino support for Linux is getting there but isn't quite there yet) and USB ones it is pretty unusual to need this. A fair bit can be achieved using ndiswrapper too. I'm using an MA311 wireless card from adapter and out of the box the support in SuSE is superior to that for Windows - it detects and configures the card without even having to download any drivers.

If you are having to recompile things so much then you may as well switch to Gentoo (Look up Vidalinux Desktop - there are some betas of version 2 of this around, it adds the anaconda installer on top of Gentoo).

If you want a stable "it just works platform" you may be let down.

On my desktop it 'just works' better than Windows, on the laptop at work (centrino chipset) windows 'just works' due to the centrino support. They are getting pretty close to be honest in terms of working out of the box.

IL2 is native Windows and you need some sort of virtualisation (which requires a windows licence anyway) or emulation (which may not work). With cedega with an Nvidia card I can get better frame rates out of Linux than Windows for the same games, for those that run. But those that run in Cedega are about half the ones that will run in Linux. And TrackIR? You might get ndiswrapper to run it, but it probably won't be trivial.

Windows doesn't support 64 but yet but Linux does.

There is a time limited version and rumours of cheap updates to 64 bit soon, but there has been 64 bit support for Linux for ages.

Aaron_GT
06-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Most of my work (Bioinformatics) is Linux based.

I've done some work in the Bioinformatics area - what sort of things do you get up to?

VV_Holdenb
06-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Aaron_GT

Aaron_GT: check your private messages m8 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Jumoschwanz
06-21-2005, 07:17 PM
In the first page or two of the Pacific Fighters forum there is a thread on Linux that is good. One guy there is running PF on FreeBSD and the Wine program!

For a laugh check out:

http://www.killbillgates.com

S!

Jumoschwanz

OldMan____
06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
If you set up an automatic update via yast2 on SuSE it isn't very hard to keep up with them (no harder than with automatic updates on windows xp).

If you want to play IL2, you are best off with windows.

Good summary. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can configure for it not updating Kernel unless you tell it to do so. I do no ttouch my kernel unless needed. At most twice a year.

Have Windows just for IL2 now. In fact only things I have in Window are all PF stuff.. HL, Team Speak and Saitek configuration stuff.

flakwagen
06-22-2005, 12:17 AM
I use XP and Fedora Core on a dual boot drive. XP stays on the HDD for games and graphics editing programs. I use it for little else. The useability of linux desktops has improved greatly in the past three years.

Driver availability is still spotty, but this is due chiefly to the reluctance of hardware manufacturers to release specs so people can program the drivers.

Flak

Pirschjaeger
06-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Well, this has been interesting and the popular vote seems to be in favor of XP. I'm now 86.3359% decided. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I'll probably use XP.

Someone mention a 64bit XP is coming soon. So, when this is available will it be in the form of an update or will I need to purchase a complete new OS?

BTW, thanks for all the replies and advice.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif group hug? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fritz

rnzoli
06-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Before the topic sinks, it may be interesting to note the strong similarities between the IL2 and the Linux community. Although there is minimal overlapping between the two, they strikingly resemble each other in many aspects.

Both have God-like icons: Oleg Maddox for IL2, Linus Torsvald for Linux.

Both are up against the Goliath Microsoft: IL2 against MS CFS, Linux against everything MS.

The community core is highly educated, passionate and interested to learn: the IL2 community knows,, debates and learns about a lot of details of WW2 airplanes, combat tactics, history etc. The Linux community knows, debates and learns about a lot of details of computing, hardware, software design etc.

Both software is highly configurable on its outer layers, therefore very flexible from the user's perspective: you can design your own missions in IL2 to the smallest details. You can customize your entire software suit in Linux to the smallest details.

Both software is tightly controlled in its core, and they keep it up to high quality: the inner details of IL2 aircrafts and maps only available to a closed development group of 1C. The inner details of the Linux kernel is understandable only to the most hardcore Linux kernel developers.

Free updates: http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif