PDA

View Full Version : Harbour Attacks with New Traffic Mod

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm wondering if any of you have installed the latest harbour traffic mod and then gone hunting in enemy ports? Have you noticed any differences as compared to the unmodded game? Any nasty [or pleasant] surprises? In most of my careers I have been using a Type 7 and just headed for the convoy lanes. Now that I am back into a Type 2, I'm starting to feel like maybe I should go harbour hunting. It's the prospect of bumping into a mine that's holding me back. I've installed the heavy version of the harbour traffic mod: lots of traffic in my port, guessing that the enemy ports are also heavily populated, but mined and patrolled as well.

Stingray-65
10-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Actually, I've been wondering about the Harbor Traffic mods. I've seen a couple. I want to install it, but don't know which one I need or if I have to have a program install it. Some of the mods I've seen call for a JSMG program (? I might have the initials wrong, but its something like that). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fish40
10-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I think it's JSME. This is a great utility which installs, and uninstalls mods with ease. Just follow the instructions in the utilities readme on how to install. For me, this is a much better way to install mods because it backs up original files for you, and replaces them if you uninstall the mod. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The Avon Lady
10-18-2005, 01:12 PM
You are referring to the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler Utility, known as JSGME. You can download the latest version from Beery's downloads page (http://www.beerymod.com/sh3_011.htm).

Don't install mods without it!

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 01:19 PM
It's called Jsgme. Get it here:

http://www.beerymod.com/sh3_011.htm

While you are there, I suggest you get the Real U-boat mod and the SH3 Commander mod. Then, using the mod installer do this: Install SH3 fresh, patched to 1.4b. Then install the mod installer. Next, install Real U-boat, the harbour traffic mod for Real U-boat and SH3 commander.

If you don't want to use Real u-boat, get the standalone version of the harbour traffic mod. There is also an option for a heavy traffic version, but it is only recommended for high spec systems, as it can slow down the frame rate.

The important thing is to get the mod installer set up correctly. Once that's done, installing mods is much easier. Be aware, though, that some mods overwrite files that have been altered by earlier mods. You can install a mod, then have so many more after that the first mod isn't really there anymore. The nice thing about the mod installer is that it makes backups each time you install a mod. If you want to uninstall a mod, you have to go in reverse order of installation, if the later mods have overwritten the earlier mod. In other words, you can't uninstall the first mod if later mods have altered the same files. Not to worry, the mod installer tells you what to do in this case.

Some mods must be installed manually. Usually these are just copy and paste procedures, in which case you should manually make a backup copy of the original file[s.]