PDA

View Full Version : which video card to get for system?

strewth
03-30-2005, 04:28 AM
OK. It would appear that I am up for a new graphics card.

I run a P4 2.4GHz with 512meg DDR266 RAM.
I am after a perfect water setting and thought one of you may be able to assist. Any ideas??

I cannot find the Maddox reccomended list anywhere.

JunkoIfurita
03-30-2005, 05:33 AM
I've only ever run NVidia cards myself, but if you're talking about upgrading a card for a mid-range system such as you mentioned, don't go for an FX series. At that point, the NVidia cards were inferior by a factor of up to a third to the ATI equivalents.

I'm running an FX5700 with 256MB on-board DDR, and I can't run any of the perfect water settings (My system is a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4, ASUS motherboard, 1 Gig DDRAM). But I've heard the equivalent ATI card: the 9600XT, has markedly better results: people have been running water=1 and water=2 quite well with that card.

The 9600XT I've seen going for as low as $250 Australian (although I do get dealer prices). Don't go for the base model 9600, it performs much worse.

I'd definitely reccomend upping your RAM to 1 Gigabyte, too. The game eats RAM like no tomorrow, and you'll have no chance of running perfect water without a full Gig. RAM is quite cheap at the moment ($85 for 512 for me: I'm guessing about $120 retail).

Don't bother buying a high level card such as a 6800 or an ATI x800 - unless your mainboard supports AGP 8x at least (and preferably PCIexpress), which most 2.4Ghz era boards didn't, you won't get a decent improvement over the 9600XT.

Save your money for those cards, and whack one in once you eventually upgrade to a new system for BoB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif If we're lucky, PCI-express 6800Ultras with on-board Physics chips will be cheap enough by then and we might actually be able to play BoB without a glitch.

----

fordfan25
03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
for that system like it is any thing over a 6600gt whould be over kill. if you plan to get more ram and a faster cpu "or OC that one to about a 3.0 or better" then maby a 6800gt. you might how ever think about this. the new PCIE mobo are as far as i know becomeing the standerd so make sure that you dont pay alot of money for a card only to have it go to wast if you build a new rig in the next year or so.

for perfect you MAY want to up that ram to a full gig. a 6600gt will run perfect upto water=2 very well. in fact that CPU is going to bottle neck it a bit.

strewth
03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info so far fellas.

I had a Leadtek A310 with 256meg RAM and was right on the verge of running perfect. I also have TrackIR and if I was looking aouund the sky, the fps were good. But the moment water came into monitor view, my frames would drop to around 3 or 4 fps. Now my card is dead and I require a new one. I thought that there may be a card that could just crack that last bit. The game was just flyable on perfect settings in QMB Okinawa Map F4U Vs 2 x AI Bettys. Soooooo Close. Soooooo frustrating.

Jaws2002
03-30-2005, 01:02 PM
First thing get another 512MB of RAM.

strewth
03-30-2005, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaws2002:
First thing get another 512MB of RAM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should mention that. That is what I done to get me into this mess. I had to remove the video card to install the new RAM and must have flexed something a bit. Now the card is KAPUT and I have a credit on the returned RAM to help buy a new card. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

canucksledge
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I got an Asus Nvidia 5750 based 256 meg card. I wish I'd not gotten suckered into a ton of memory, and had gone for the 6800 with half instead. Got one at work, blazing fast. Nvidia have pretty good driver support, release often for new chipset support and I've never come across an issue with any of their releases.

Also, I've always had problems with ATI's drivers. They make a hot card, no doubt in my mind, but their software end needs sharpening. The newer, hotter card you buy, the more this can be a problem. Just my experience...

fordfan25
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
yea both ATI and Nvidia have there strong and weak points.

Treetop64
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaws2002:
First thing get another 512MB of RAM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I STRONGLY agree!! At LEAST another 512!

You should check out the "Processes" tab after hitting <CTL-ALT-DEL>, and take a gander of the laundry list of applications running in the background and, most importantly, the amount of memory used to run those apps. It's scary...

I have over a meg-and-a-half of system RAM, and you know what?: My system uses nearly all of it!

Yeah... install more RAM, dude...

Then get an ATI 9800 Pro (with 256MB of Video RAM) or higher. You will not regret it.

JFC_danger
03-31-2005, 05:48 AM
i have a nvidia 5700 le (128) card,
1024 mb of sdram,
amd athelon(tm) xp 2000+,
latest 71.84 nvidia drivers,
and a 7.1 sound card.
i can get perfect water and landscape in openGL( if i switch from directx ingame) but everytime i switch of and then restart my pc, i get a c+++basic runtime error and i have to reinstall graphics drivers, still, the water looks nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

TacticalYak3
03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Great advice. CPU under 3 GHz would stick with 6600 or ATI equal. But (or at the same time) get that 1 GB of memory.

Regards,
TactS!

Slickun
03-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Agree with the extra ram. And get the good stuff.

After I upgraded from 256 to a gig, stutters were gone, smoothness reigned, and it became easier to hit the other guy.

Then get that 9800 Pro. Mine is the cheaper 128 video ram version, but wow was it a huge improvement over my old GE Force 4 4200.