PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed the AI is really improved?

dazza9806482
11-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Just started playing Enforcers excellent VVS part 1 campaign.

I had been thinking this for a while but im noticing a definate and really enjoyable improvement in the AI. Enemy bandit evasion is really slippery and they dont randomly fly into the ground now.

but the main thing is the inclusion of some kind of Terminator code. Bandits now seem really determined to shoot u down. often following from 5 k or more away and showing a scary dogged bloodlust.

its a real improvement on before...

AlGroover
11-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Not sure on that one. The AI doesn't seem as aggressive in a turn fight but that could be due to the loss of their advantageous flight model. Also Tab7 call for assistance seems to discourage them quite easily.

Enforcer572005
11-16-2005, 05:00 AM
I think the combat AI is improved, but they still (depending on the plane used) still cant land it seems and want to fly right into the ground unless you order them to return to base, and even then theydo sometimes. I ordered my flight to orbit (or loiter) over the base i was landing at, and they promptly flew straight down and into the ground. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I had a 262 keep chasing me in a P-80 even after i asked control for assistance and a pair showed up to help me.....this guy just kept after me until he got distracted enough that i could make my escape. Maybe the AI isnt very consistant along these lines...which is actually a good thing i think.

However, as I pointed out in my VVS fighters Pt2 preview thread (with screenshots), the wingman AI seems to have improved greatly, as my wingy blasted an FW that was coming in behind me after i told him to cover me....before they would just fly close formation wiht you when you ordered that, but now they are more aggressive about defending you. I didnt even know it until i looked at the track.

Oh, and thanks: Im glad you like the cmpn so far. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

major_setback
11-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Yes I think the AI have been improved, they try harder to evade my shots...though when they run out of ammo they still seem to give up on doing this.

I tried setting up quick mission with 3-a-side but putting the AI each in a seperate flight, they are much more unpredictable this way and you can vary the skill level.

It would be good to be able to have flights with varying degrees of skill within the flight, I hope we get this in BoB.

XyZspineZyX
11-16-2005, 05:37 AM
I really believe AI has improved with 4.02, they are much more aggressive & take more evasive manouvers. They also demonstrate more "inteligence"
I am currently flying a campaign in a BOE addon downloaded from Netwings (simply brilliant) & I am flying FW190A8,

First example, I dived down onto somw Mustang IIIs & overshot one & thought ok I will take the lead one, dont worry about the wingman (idiot) next thing I know Ive got traccer fire all over me & a fuel leak, AI wingmen havent responded like this before, they generally fly around trying to maintain formation with their leader.

2. 6 FW190A8 VS 8 Spit IXE, BLOODBATH, only 2 survivors, me & a Spit. We dogfight on the deck & then the spit bugs out, does the catch me if you can flys straight & level at about 50m & just pulled away from me, intelligent flying, somthing I have done many a time.

I also believe the AI ability is varried quite well to. One of the reasons I think 4.02 is a good patch.

ViktorViktor
11-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Does anyone know if the rookie-level AI pilots still flies at rookie level, or are these AI pilots harder to shoot down now ? Are AI rookie flyers at the same skill level as real-life rookie fliers were (reputed to be) during WWII ?

XyZspineZyX
11-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Dunno mate, but Ive still shot down some stooges, but if you bounce anybody & hit them with your first burst it doesnt matter what level their at, they all burn the same way

Sturm_Williger
11-16-2005, 06:08 AM
I don't know for sure about rookie AI, but I HAVE seen a rookie AI pilot bail when a friend shot at him ( shots didn't even come close, but that pilot was outta there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

Bearcat99
11-16-2005, 06:16 AM
I think the AI has improved as well... and even at it's worse it was still better than in most other prop sims.

dazza9806482
11-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Yeah i remember the really freaky behaviour a while back. often i would fly and land at another base just to avoid the mid air crash.

thing is ive been online most of the last 6 months and only returned to offline campaigns a wee while ago. so maybe the changes have been over a few patches.

whatever the reason i really really enjoyed my campaigning last night, much more life to the battles than before, and certainly a lot less predictable. like a thoroughly holed 109 that i decided to leave to die suddenly decides to get me back and promptly turns to engage! thats never happened before

Enforcer572005
11-16-2005, 11:35 PM
heh, heh, those Fritzes are really sneaky on the eastern front....no chivalry there.

Hey major setback, you CAN have different skill levels in a flight.....you just go into the misn bldr and hit each individual plane, and set it. I used that alot in my project. I never had one skill level in a flight.

diomedes33
11-17-2005, 01:06 AM
All I know is they didn't do this before.

I was flying a 2v1 QMB, me in a 190A-8 against 2 '44 Spitfires. Nothing really interesting happened till, I was in a position for a 90 degree deflection shot on the lead spit. My lead was a bit off and zoomed by and we ended up in a rolling scissors. I looked over my shoulder and saw the wingman back there, but no real danger for me. After a few cycles of the scissors slowly gaining position, I checked back and he was gone. I thought, "Odd? The Spitfire's gone" After a couple more rolls the lead spitfire was starting to flounder and presented a nice juicy target. One more roll and I would be in his deep six. I rolled in and had the perfect shot, 10 degrees off the tail at 250m. Right as I held my breath to pull the trigger, the lead spit did a hard negative dive. As I saw the doomed spitfire try to evade his fate. Suddenly I saw the lead spitfire shooting at me.

Loud cracks and snaps, twisting sheet metal

MACHINE GUN DAMAGED
CANNON DAMAGED
AILERON DAMAGED

As the metal grinder that once was my BMW-801 brought the chilling realization of my demise, the once doomed spitfire seperated into two. The wingman gracefully passes my canopy. I jab the lever to blow the canopy and jump ship cursing the whole time.

-------------------------

After reviewing the track. The wingman broke off from the attack and circled back around. The Lead steared straight at his wingman. He dove under the wingman just at the last second. I caught a volley of hispanos in the face.

Flying_Nutcase
11-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by diomedes33:
All I know is they didn't do this before.

I was flying a 2v1 QMB, me in a 190A-8 against 2 '44 Spitfires. Nothing really interesting happened till, I was in a position for a 90 degree deflection shot on the lead spit. My lead was a bit off and zoomed by and we ended up in a rolling scissors. I looked over my shoulder and saw the wingman back there, but no real danger for me. After a few cycles of the scissors slowly gaining position, I checked back and he was gone. I thought, "Odd? The Spitfire's gone" After a couple more rolls the lead spitfire was starting to flounder and presented a nice juicy target. One more roll and I would be in his deep six. I rolled in and had the perfect shot, 10 degrees off the tail at 250m. Right as I held my breath to pull the trigger, the lead spit did a hard negative dive. As I saw the doomed spitfire try to evade his fate. Suddenly I saw the lead spitfire shooting at me.

Loud cracks and snaps, twisting sheet metal

MACHINE GUN DAMAGED
CANNON DAMAGED
AILERON DAMAGED

As the metal grinder that once was my BMW-801 brought the chilling realization of my demise, the once doomed spitfire seperated into two. The wingman gracefully passes my canopy. I jab the lever to blow the canopy and jump ship cursing the whole time.

-------------------------

After reviewing the track. The wingman broke off from the attack and circled back around. The Lead steared straight at his wingman. He dove under the wingman just at the last second. I caught a volley of hispanos in the face.

I luv all these stories about the new AI. A buddy and I were up against veteran A-20s the other day and they were as slippery as wet fish. It seems that offline/coop play has gotten a real boost.

HotelBushranger
11-17-2005, 01:37 AM
I think the AI has improved, but their FM hasn't. As I said in another thread, an early Zero chased me several thousand metres down, to about 670kmh, and he was still goin. Thats not right to me, and you can call me Susan if it isn't so!

hobnail
11-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Enemy on your six, gunfire, pull 1/6000th of a G and let him fire his entire ammo load 1ft behind you...Watching AI v AI has you banging the monitor in frustration at their ineptitude.

Is, has and will continue to be the reason I do not fly IL2 offline.