PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please. in regardes to online.

fordfan25
01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
im about to move to a area in the USA with no way to get DSL ect. my only options are dial up and hughes net sat. my qustion is, is hughes net satal;ite worth getting? is it able to play games like FB online? iv read a little about it and some say that online gameing is just not doable and something about F.A.P were you can only use the service a small amount of the time then have to shut down and wait. any one have any one know any thing about this? im going to need to borrow the mony to get the hardwear and it over 50$ month with a contract and i dont want to make a big costly mistake.

blairgowrie
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
No m8. Satellite has way too much lag for online play. Signal has to go all the way up to satellite and back which can be as far as 30,000+ kms.

See if you can find a wireless provider in the area. Same price as satellite but great for il2.

DmdSeeker
01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
My parents have satalite internet (or at least, they use a parabol antannŠ, I think it may well be radio, mountain top to mountaintop), and it's heavily affected by the weather, and quite flakey.

When working well, I'd say it'd be good enough for gaming, however, for me I think it'd be quite the exercise in frustration.

I think my mother's called me about half a dozen times in the last year to complain the family mail server isn't running (it sits under my desk) and each time her connection's been down.

Will there be any internet cafes in your new area?

It may be more productive to make an arrangement with one if there is (most over here are small buisnesses and amenable to a bit of regular cash).

It maybe they'll let you install IL-2 on one of their machines if you buy a prepaid number of hours, alternatively you could rent a line and a monitor by the hour for a laptop from them.

At least you'd be able to keep up with your squad nights, I understand your new home may not be long term.

It way well even be (though I haven't checked this) that IL-2 will run from a USB drive, which means you wouldn't even have to install it, just ask permission to plug in your joystick and drive. They may well not have hyperlobby, but they're very likely to have gamespy or similar.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-15-2008, 12:04 PM
If you can get a high-speed dial-up service like Net-zero 128 or something you'd be much better off for gaming than trying to reconcile the inconsistencies of satellite.

Remember, it's not just how much bandwidth you have, but rather how stable it is.

K_Freddie
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
There are places in the USA that have no network ???? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

FoolTrottel
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif USA's a pretty big place.
Got Google Earth?