PDA

View Full Version : So the War on Terror never happened in the world of Endwar?

john_chi
08-09-2007, 06:47 PM
According to the Wikipedia article the war in Iraq and Afghanistan never took place. Which means 9/11 never happened? Which means that in Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and Rainbow Six there is no such thing as the War on Terror or Al Quada?

Delta085
08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Tom Clancy does not like to base his books about true events that goes for his games as well

john_chi
08-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Delta085:
Tom Clancy does not like to base his books about true events that goes for his games as well

Umm, I think it's just his games that avoid the War on Terror subject. I mean he was pretty pissed off when they replaced palistinian terrorists with neo-nazis in the Sum of All Fears movie.

Crimson96
08-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Actually the relationship between our universe and the Ryan-verse is pretty convoluted. Tom Clancy avoids writing about recent historical events until the record of them is more accurate.

The Cold War unfolded pretty much the same as it did for us. Most books about this time period are about covert personnel and operations and thus we would not know about them.

Jack Ryan solved the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, almost single-handedly.

The US and Russia DESTROYED ALL NUCLEAR ICBMS. So in the Clancy-verse a missile shield would have no effect on US and Russian relations because neither side utilizes ICBMs anymore.

A major war (+1000 casualties) occurred between the US and Japan. (Least plausible plot line ever, made more so by Clancy's obvious racism towards the Japanese) At the end a JAL pilot kamikazes (I **** you not) the Capitol building during a joint session of congress, disturbingly reminiscent of the Sept 11th attacks.

Iraq and Iran combined into the United Islamic Republic, turned Shiite and executed all the Sunnis (this one may very well still turn true)and invaded Saudi Arabia (also possible hence why we are selling the Saudis $20 billion in arms), incurring the wrath of many Abrams tankers.

Rainbow Six is formed, hostage-taking terrorists weep.

China became a superpower and tried to break into Russia and was stopped cold by joint US-Russian intervention thanks to Russia joining NATO just before China invades. China then launched a nuke at Washington, D.C. which was shot down. The resulting domestic upheaval lead to the democratization of China.

The most recent book in the Jack Ryan series "Teeth of the Tiger" a Marine character is recruited from operations in Afghanistan to work at a covert global anti-terrorism center. So we can assume that Afghanistan and the events leading up to it such as Sept 11th did in fact happen.

Since Rainbow (part of the Jack Ryan series), Third Echelon, and the Ghosts are all supposedly tied together, in order to be strictly correct to established chronology all the above events would have had to have occurred as well.

john_chi
08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow. Thanks for the Clancyverse history. Really appreciate it. But even if there was a conflict in Afghanistan, that still does not necessarily mean 9/11 could have occured. Maybe Jack Ryan was still President from 1997 to 2000, saw the terrorist haven that Afghanistan was turning into and decided to kick AQ's *** before 2001.

SkyRaptorRUS
08-11-2007, 12:08 AM
THat's strange..you know sometimes Tom Clancy has a great stories like "The sum of all fears", but sometimes there is a sh*t like "the red dawn"
THis one looks OK...

SkyRaptorRUS
08-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Do you think that USA will help Russia if the China attacked us? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
something tells me that USA would just attacked us too to get our recourses like China... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gifaaaaaaaaaaaa enemies!!! the chinese are comming! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! (jumps out the window)

Also guys though you all know I'm worried about US invasion on Russia but sometimes I think that USA will launch an attack o China. Why?
Because in some of your laws (I don't remember whitch) it is said that there supposed to be no countries that are more advanced in military, more stronger in economy and more important in the world policy. smth like...and I think when China becomes the new Superpower no1, the USA would just attack it not to lose it's place.

What do you think? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

PrinceCaspian5
08-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by SkyRaptorRUS:
THat's strange..you know sometimes Tom Clancy has a great stories like "The sum of all fears", but sometimes there is a sh*t like "the red dawn"
THis one looks OK...
i don't think tom clancy had anything to do with red dawn

SkyRaptorRUS
08-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by PrinceCaspian5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SkyRaptorRUS:
THis one looks OK...
i don't think tom clancy had anything to do with red dawn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you mean? He wrote it, didn't he? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

PrinceCaspian5
08-11-2007, 02:04 PM
what do you mean? He wrote it, didn't he? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
could you be talking about Red Strom Rising? i am thinking about the 1984 movie red dawn, and tom clancy had nothing to do with that movie.

SkyRaptorRUS
08-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by PrinceCaspian5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SkyRaptorRUS:
could you be talking about Red Strom Rising? i am thinking about the 1984 movie red dawn, and tom clancy had nothing to do with that movie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
aho..so the red dawn isn't Tom Clancy's work..ops, sorry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

BTS_Thor_2
08-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Do you think that USA will help Russia if the China attacked us? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
something tells me that USA would just attacked us too to get our recourses like China... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gifaaaaaaaaaaaa enemies!!! the chinese are comming! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! (jumps out the window)

Also guys though you all know I'm worried about US invasion on Russia but sometimes I think that USA will launch an attack o China. Why?
Because in some of your laws (I don't remember whitch) it is said that there supposed to be no countries that are more advanced in military, more stronger in economy and more important in the world policy. smth like...and I think when China becomes the new Superpower no1, the USA would just attack it not to lose it's place.

What do you think? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

For the record, theres no laws in America that consist of any of those things. Like any other country we do have laws that state we protect our self interest, freedoms, people, domestic tranquilty, and welfare of our people and others around us. There also, laws that forbid any European country to set up colonys in the America's, which is just another defense mechinasm. Almost every country in the world has this same kind of doctrine, but there are no laws that say we have to be the best because if you can believe it countries 70-80 years ago had more technology and advanced military then us. Even today some countries exceede America in other ways.

And if you dont believe me heres our Preamble to our Constitution of The United States....

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Always fun to correct you SkyRaptor http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

john_chi
08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Right can we avoid the a USA/RUSSIA/CHINA is better than everyone else flame war and get back on topic?

pointandlaugh
08-14-2007, 01:31 AM
According to the EGM article, there was no war on terror or liberation of Iraq.
As far as I know, the Ghost Recon universe doesn't involve these conflicts (the first game takes place in '08), and the Splinter Cell universe also doesn't make a mention of it.

Rainbow Six is directly based off of his book series (Rainbow Six is formed by some of Jack Ryan's friends, and it makes a direct correlation with Jack Ryan in the book The Bear and the Dragon) which does involve the wars, but I think the games fall on a slightly different plot-line than the book.

Da_Costa1982
08-14-2007, 02:02 AM
By not having a war it'll means that fourth countries sell oil to the superpowers that don't have it. What it'll mean for the game being that in sequells there could be extra campaigns fought by the three armies in order to gain control of those resources!

john_chi
08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Well interesting how Rainbow 6 never goes after Al Quada or even mentions it. I mean what would be the point of having an international team of elite counter-terror operatives if they don't go after the world's no.1 terrorist? I've never played any of the R6 games, but does anyone know if anything to do with Al Quada gets mentioned in the games' story?

If not then this could only mean that the war in Afghanistan and Iraq never takes place the Tom Clancy games universe. Only thing that will confirm this is if there's a New York map in EndWar and we still see the two towers standing.

Mr.Hanky2005
08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by john_chi:
I've never played any of the R6 games, but does anyone know if anything to do with Al Quada gets mentioned in the games' story?

Not to my knowledge.

john_chi
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky2005:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john_chi:
I've never played any of the R6 games, but does anyone know if anything to do with Al Quada gets mentioned in the games' story?

Not to my knowledge.

FYI Tom Clancy doesn't like basing his books on Real world events. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about the Sum of All Fears? The book started during the 70s Arab/Israeli war.

Mr.Hanky2005
08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by john_chi:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr.Hanky2005:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john_chi:

Not to my knowledge.

FYI Tom Clancy doesn't like basing his books on Real world events. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about the Sum of All Fears? The book started during the 70s Arab/Israeli war. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DUH... How could I forget. I stand corrected.

wolfman921988
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
CoD 4 is also sopposed to avoid the war on terror thing. Sapposadly there are no bin laddens or chechens or anything like that. It's some made up stuff.

john_chi
08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by wolfman921988:
CoD 4 is also sopposed to avoid the war on terror thing. Sapposadly there are no bin laddens or chechens or anything like that. It's some made up stuff.

Yeah, but COD4 does take place in the near future and they just don't mention stuff like 9/11. It also uses a fictional mid-east country.