PDA

View Full Version : luftwaffe flamthrowers

CKY_86
03-19-2005, 03:05 PM
hi all

ive just been watching a program where there was a dig in london for a hurrican wich collided & knock the tail off of a donier heading for buckingham palace, & it showed that the pilot(of the hurrie) had oil splatterd over his screen when closing in. the oil was ment to be from a flamethrower in the tail that was ment to be fired when an enemy got behind.

ive never heard of this before & i was hoping some1 could confirm if the luftwaffe had these sort of torches

thanks

georgeo76
03-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Threre were all sorts of anti-fighter devices attached to the tails of both British and Du bombers. My favorite was a device that trailed wire behind the bombers tail. This was reeled out when fighters got close for the purpose of destroying their propellers. I dont' know how effective or long this wire was or even which country used the techinque, but it certainly is a Duckt-Tape soultion and you gotta love that.

Atomic_Marten
03-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I remember one occasion when I read somewhere that some of He111s were equipped with some kind of scissors! in the nose section during BoB. Purpose- to snap out wires of enemy baloons.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Whether it is true I think nobody can confirm, and most likely it is someone's joke.

PlaneEater
03-19-2005, 05:19 PM
That last one is probably very real. Low-level attack helicopters have been fitted with wire cutters for years--all the way back to late Vietnam when they first emerged as a significant force, if I recall correctly.

Zyzbot
03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:
I remember one occasion when I read somewhere that some of He111s were equipped with some kind of scissors! in the nose section during BoB. Purpose- to snap out wires of enemy baloons.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Whether it is true I think nobody can confirm, and most likely it is someone's joke. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"He-111 H-10 was developed and built in small numbers especially for the night bombing offensive against the UK, these being equipped with Kute-Nase balloon cable-cutters in the wing leading edges and additional armour protection. "

And:

Ju-88A-6

€œThis version was based on the Ju 88A-5, and was mainly intended to clear the way of the main bomber force by cutting the cables of balloon barrages. To do so it was fitted with a large forward-mounted fender that terminated at the wingtips. Atthat point a cable-cutting device was installed. The fender weighed 838 lb (380 kg), and had to be balanced with 132 lb (60 kg) of counterweight in the tail. The additional wight and drag caused the Ju 88A-6 to be slow and sluggish, and therefor an easy target.
The aircraft were soon withdrawn from the cable-cutting business, and were either converted back to a standard bomber, or to the Ju 88A-6/U standard.€http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=Ju-88A-6/v=2/SID=w/l=IVI/SIG=120hfbl8b/EXP=1111368642/*-http%3A//www.base13.glasnet.ru/wol/ju/88-4.gif

p1ngu666
03-19-2005, 06:43 PM
think a few had flame or oil throwers on the back. wasnt standard.
ill have to send u the ju88 stuff i got sometime http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Waldo.Pepper
03-19-2005, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgeo76:
Threre were all sorts of anti-fighter devices attached to the tails of both British and Du bombers. My favorite was a device that trailed wire behind the bombers tail. This was reeled out when fighters got close for the purpose of destroying their propellers. I dont' know how effective or long this wire was or even which country used the techinque, but it certainly is a Duckt-Tape soultion and you gotta love that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This device you are describing is a VLF radio antenna, not an anti-fighter weapon. Although it could be missinterpreted as an anti-fighter weapon by a HUrricane or Spitfire pilot who got his prop tangled in one.

Also the Wellington Bomber had a wire cutter built into the leading edge of the wing. On occassion an unwise Erk would lose their fingers by it.

tigertalon
03-20-2005, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Also the Wellington Bomber had a wire cutter built into the leading edge of the wing. On occassion an unwise Erk would lose their fingers by it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reminds me of leading edge of F-104 Starfighter. Very very sharp.

Beaufort-RAF
03-20-2005, 07:44 PM
A few RAF Havoc's trailed a cable & mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Number 92 Squadron received twenty modified Havoc I (Pandora) intruder aircraft, the name "Pandora" being a code name for the Long Aerial Mine (LAM) which was an explosive charge towed by a 2000-foot length of cable stowed in the bomb bay of the Havoc. The LAM was trailed in the path of enemy aircraft in the hope of scoring a hit. Serials of Boston aircraft known to have been equipped with this device include AX913, BK883, BT465, and DG554. This device was not very successful, and only one victory was attributed to this system. No 92 Squadron was disbanded in November of 1941, and the "Pandora" Havocs were converted back to Intruder configurations.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>