PDA

View Full Version : Burnt out! Yawn, Bye!

Lassen
04-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Yep, patrol 15 and I can no longer face going out on patrol. It seems like a chore, I've snapped and the reality of war has taken it's toll on this 'has' been captain.

I'm now totally bored with the game I loved so much when I got it. Watching Das Boot again managed to get me out doing another patrol but it's just soooo repetitive now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Well, i've enjoyed the game, got my money's worth, and now I'm of to an island in the sun to tell my storys about how I escaped death at 100m.

Maybe I'll find the motivation to set out to sea again if a patch / mod comes along that makes things a little more interesting.

Not a critisism of the game as I'm sure some people never get tired of it. It's just one of those thing for me.

Oh and I cant bare these forums anymore.. soooo fed up seeing the same questions / statements / rants / moans / observations day in day out.

MC_Cudden
04-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Sorry for you, but it seems to me that this
genre is absolutly nothing for you.

Perhaps you are more a nintendo or shooter fan

Bye

Jex_TG
04-19-2005, 06:02 AM
Aren't all games generally repetitive? What makes a good game is that there's enough in it that the repetitiveness is fun. Of course, if u play 24/7/365 then yes it will get boring. Pace urself and play less, and play more games of different genre's.

Poacher886a
04-19-2005, 06:44 AM
This is why i have played mostly real time from the start,and not rushed in like most! it prolongs your encounters and learning curve,and thus the longivety of the game!
TC-ing it everywhere just simply bring's it down to an arcade level and does'nt give you that feel or excitment when a contact is made.

Anyway,life on a U-boat patrol was boring and a chore...you wanted realism, you got it!!!

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 06:51 AM
I agree 100% with Lassen. After 15 or so patrols I can't bring myself to endure yet another repetetive excursion into tedium.

I loved this game when it came out. I'm pretty good at it too...was on top of the aces list. But it just got mega-boring.

I suppose I should congratulate the devs for capturing the boredom of u-boat warfare (which I suppose is realistic). Even when I see a convoy it's "here we go again...sigh"....but at least there is something to do for ten or twenty minutes...almost makes up for the dismal monotony of dragging my hull across the ocean to get there.

You aint the only one who's burnt out on this game Lassen....now brace yourself for the fanboy explosion. Having a different opinion is a deadly sin in these forums.

For the amount of hours I spent playing those first 15 or so patrols, I suppose I can say I got my money's worth, but there is no replayability for me in this title. I feel like I've "replayed" the same game fifteen times already http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Salut!

JG11_BobCat
04-19-2005, 06:52 AM
I think its a bit harsh to suggest Lassen would be more suited to FPS games. His post was well written and did not intend to flame.

To be honest I also feel his pain; I don't blame the game either. The only game to keep my interest for more than a few weeks is IL2 and I put this down to human interaction via multiplayer. Even now, every dogfight I have is different and unpredictable.

I'm not moaning about SH3, after all what should I expect from a sub sim? It reminds me of a Fawlty Towers sketch (sorry non-UK people) when Basil Fawlty said "Well may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? The Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds Of Wildebeeste sweeping majestically...?""

You get the point..........

BobCat

diveplane
04-19-2005, 08:00 AM
least you guys are up front about sh3...

wait for dd addon coming out= multiplayer fun

human dd v sub games

RedTerex
04-19-2005, 08:06 AM
The boredom of long patrols is not the developers of SHIII's fault...its ours, the community...right here !

The game was going to be more based on instant action in scripted battle areas...no long patrols.

We as a community asked, begged, pleaded, reasoned>>you name it LOL for a Dynamic Campaign.
This was granted<<Amazingly !!! and the campaign was now no longer scripted and patrols SUBsequently got longer due to this.
Also the chance margin element of meeting ships at sea became much much wider.
I have been playing SHIII quite solidly since day 1 of its release and havent yet seen a Battleship, Cruiser, Liner or any big targets in campaign mode.
Single missions however have no patrols, lots of BIG ships to shoot at and can be the kind of arcade style fun that I presume you may like.

If you find SHIII boring in general then the game does not offer the right criteria of entertainment/fun for you and nothing more can be said to help.

"you cant please everyone"

Regards.

BFawlty
04-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Bobcat I don't think I am at all that rude...of course that couple in 7, then theres the spppoooonnnn salesman, I'll get him...yes Sybil just hanging it now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BF

malkuth
04-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for sharing.

For me I have other games I play also. Not just SHIII. Had it since first came out, im now on patrol 23. Its nice days out now, no need to be inside playing games anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But everytime I do play SHIII, its great. Like for instance on my last patrol I sank my first Liberty Ship. The Key to SHIII is not to play it 24 Hours a day. But to play it maybe 1-3 times a week.

Mjollnir111675
04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
http://photos6.flickr.com/9921190_fd7b235119_o.jpg

Nuthin' to see here Folks!

Supr
04-19-2005, 08:34 AM
The initial thrill is gone, but i'm still enjoying it. True, the patrols do get repetitive, but its still exciting when your chasing a convoy trying to hide from the DDs.

I tell you what though, a DC add-on would certianly put the thrill back into it for me. The online coop is ok, but with a DC add-on, it would take on a whole new life. MAybe thats what sh4 is going to be all about. I will have no problem spending 40 bucks again if thats the case. I would just look at shIII as a training class.

Oh, and I agree with Bobcat, no reason to flame Lassen. his post was not a slam on the game at all. Like he said, he enjoyed it and got his monies worth. Thats all most of us ask out of cheap entertainment software in the first place.

Nukem_Hicks
04-19-2005, 08:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BFawlty:
Bobcat I don't think I am at all that rude...of course that couple in 7, then theres the spppoooonnnn salesman, I'll get him...yes Sybil just hanging it now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BF <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever you do, don't mention the WAR around the Germans. You know, the WAR. Don't mention it!

Yes, m'dear, I'm just checking the walls. Heard there was a bit of a wall problem up here.

Que?

I've gotta be the only Yank who has those shows memorized...

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex:
I have been playing SHIII quite solidly since day 1 of its release and havent yet seen a Battleship, Cruiser, Liner or any big targets in campaign mode. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol...not trying to start anything, but where the heck have you been patrolling?! The Arctic Circle? Other than C2s and C3s, tankers and liners are the only ships (that I've seen) I'd waste a torp on...Go park yourself near Firth of Clyde and wait....you'll see plenty of them (unless you find waiting for the convoys too boring that is). I even sank an enemy liner after about 10 patrols.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex: Single missions however have no patrols, lots of BIG ships to shoot at and can be the kind of arcade style fun that I presume you may like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! So anyone who finds SH3 boring must naturally only like arcade games? Tsk! Tsk!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex: If you find SHIII boring in general then the game does not offer the right criteria of entertainment/fun for you and nothing more can be said to help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody is asking for help...we were just stating our opinions. I thought that was what public forums were for. If opinions of the game aren't welcome I find it odd that you don't complain about the "I love this game" posts. Fair's fair no?

Regards right back atcha.

Ciao!

Kpt_Zig
04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Maybe try playing it in a structured environment. You'll find one by following my link below. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kSetuni
04-19-2005, 09:31 AM
I find it rather sad that people dont do their research before buying a game then cry when its not something they expected. Honestly did the whiners around here do any research about what the real U boat war and life was like? If not then thats your fault for not researching before buying the game.

In all honesty, I think the devs did a good job finding a balance between the real U boat life, and making an interesting game. If they had moddeled everything (such as amount of convoys seen or ships sunk) then there would maybe be about 1% of the owners that would enjoy the game and only those would have been the hardcore U boat enthusiasts.

Oh and its really not to hard to "be at the top of the aces list" The aces list isnt a list of the game aces. Its a list of the real life Uboat captains and hmmm last time I checked, this game is far from real life. Again it goes back to the fact that real uboat life wasnt as fun as this game is. If we had the chance to sink as many ships as real captains did, few of us would be around at all.

I agree the Ubi forums are usually full of whiners and pissing and moaners. YALL GET OLD really fast. I have left more than one Ubi game forum for the same childishness. Thats one reason I enjoy the subsim.com forums far better.

quillan
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I think some people need to chill out. The original poster has a legitimate statement he's making. This game is not for everyone. It has nothing to do with like or not liking arcade style games. If you don't like the style of play, then play something you do like. The whole point of games is to have fun.

Personally, I don't find it boring or repetitive at all. I've had to take a couple of days off now and then, but I go right back to the hunt afterwards. I guess it's just a difference in personality and outlook. I hope you guys do find something you like. Enjoy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Poacher886a
04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
After 20yrs playing games,i always use the softly softly catchy monkey approch now!

When the game was not far from realise,the forums were flooded with comments like"i cant wait to blow my first convoy up" and "im going to hit the single missions,so i can sink the Bismark" etc etc.

Of course to each his own..but i laugh at the comments,thinking your be board within 2weeks,trying to see and do everything straight away is a sure fire quick way to boardum.

I don't even do the training missions,because i don't want to spoil my "Honeymoon" period with the game,by seeing everything straight away,and it not even having the tension of it counting!!

Ok,I might be on my first patrol(i showed incredable willpower wating for my new monitor to arrive),but i have spent about 16hrs so far on this patrol and have only just left my patrol grid(and im in a type11A!!)because i spend alot of time in Real time.

I have not encountered any ship's or anything,except a couple of radio contacts of neutrals nearby after 16hrs of play..and thats what im most impressed by so far,its going to be ages before i see all this games got to offer,by which time a new patch with more will be out!!

Infact just before writing this post,and just after leaving my patrol grid,i've encounted an aircraft attack and a ship radio contact which i can probably hit in a day(game time)but for me will take about 2day's(i manage about three to four hours a day,and use a little compresion),so my excitment is gowing already.

weather i see it and hit it or not, it does'nt matter because i have to turn home afterwards anyway,and for me a great experience(game wise).

By my next patrol,the patch will probably be out!!

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowMech73:
I agree the Ubi forums are usually full of whiners and pissing and moaners. YALL GET OLD really fast. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I agree, perfect example above.

For the record....I stated I loved the game at first, but got bored with it. Even went so far as to say I figure I got my money's worth.

But if you dare say anything negative about it in here, and some goof will come out and flame you as though you've just insulted his mother. lol. Thanks for illustrating my point so concisely. Like I said, brace yourself for the fanboy explosion.

Y'all say hi to your cousins down at the trailer hoss.

SwissSkipper
04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
For all of you SHIII is not a game, it's a sim.So it's not supposedto be fun or exciting after a while http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Long

alarmer
04-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Question goes what did you expect?

I mean this thread just cryes for trouble. You got bored thats fine, you have right for your opinion. But it´s common sense not to write post like these, they dont archieve anything.

I just wish for once this kinda thread recieved lots of views and zero replies as it should.

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by alarmer:

I mean this thread just cryes for trouble. You got bored thats fine, you have right for your opinion. But it´s common sense not to write post like these, they dont archieve anything. [QUOTE]

They don't achieve anything? Maybe someone trying to "do some research" will come here and see different valid opinions instead of nothing but rosy reviews and vehement rants, and decide maybe the game isn't for them. If we save someone who might end up feeling the same from spending their money on something that's not for them then I'd say we acheived something.

One moronic comment made implied that we should all have done research on U-boat warfare, implying that we should have known beforehand this was a boredom simulator...I don't think so. And I'm not saying this is a boredom simulator, it's just not for everyone, and seeing that reflected in these forums can only be a good thing.

Poacher886a
04-19-2005, 10:51 AM
It was the same with ROME TW.

Within a week of its realise,some people were posting,saying they had played every unit of every faction and were board of it.
Hardly supprising realy!

Looking at your statics Lassen(15 patrols since the games realise,),thats about 3,1/2 patrols a week..either you have been playing it 24/7,in which case there's no suprise your board or you've been TC-ing everywhere in between contacts,which goes back to what i said in my previous post about seeing everything to quickly!
Of course its not for me to tell you how to play your game,but experience has shown me otherwise.
That said,i've never in 20yrs played a game that does'nt expire eventually.

Bulwark_
04-19-2005, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG11_BobCat:
after all what should I expect from a sub sim? It reminds me of a Fawlty Towers sketch (sorry non-UK people) when Basil Fawlty said "Well may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? The Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds Of Wildebeeste sweeping majestically...?"
BobCat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm not from UK, I'm Canadian. I've seen Fawlty Towers and that was hilarious!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SwissSkipper
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
its normal that a game gets boring after a week or so.There are special cases, but most of them involve the community making awesome mods.

Long

Bonzo_Madrid
04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
15 patrols? what difficulty were you playing on? try 100% an then when you die you die the real challenge being see how long you can survive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

wombat778
04-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I think a big part of the issue is how you approach the game. If you play it with the mentality of all you want to do is go out and kill some ships, then yes, it will get boring fast.

To keep it interesting, you have to want to challenge yourself to keep improving. On the patrols you made, did you make any mistakes? Were you ever spotted when you didnt want to be? Did any of your torps miss? When submerged, do you need to use the map (either auto or manual) to know what is going on around you, or can you visualize the locations of everything in your head? Were you ever not in the perfect position for an attack?

If yes to any of these, then I personally would find excitement from trying to figure out what I did wrong and improve on it. IMHO, this is a sim one could play for years and not be perfect at it. There are a lot of "simpler" and more "repetitive" games that people spend years improving their skills at (chess, for example).

Frumpkis
04-19-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm starting to get a little fried on it too. For me, the answer is taking a break with other games, especially other types of games. I'll spend a few days away from SHIII playing something completely different like Kohan II, then I start to get the urge to do another patrol and advance my career. I think I can probably stretch out my interest long enough to see if there is an expansion pack or something that adds new content on the horizon.

I do think that, in an ideal world with infinite resources and time, the dev's could have done a better job of increasing the replayability of the campaign. Crew management and damage control/repair could have been something fun and challenging, instead of just an annoyance like it is now. I was really hoping to see an internal 3D representation of damage, and more prioritization needed for repairs or failed equipment, instead of that very basic 2D sub cutaway graphic and a magic repair crew that can fix anything. Coordinating with other subs in a wolfpack might have added an additional level of interest and challenge. Embedded scripted missions like rendesvous, rescue, or covert ops every once in a while, might have been interesting. Oh well, I'm sure everyone else has their wish lists.

But I do give the developers major credit for getting the core simulation engine right, with outstanding, immmersive external graphics (I've been waiting years for semi-realistic ocean waves and storms like this). Simulations are not very popular in the game marketplace these days, and I feel lucky to have the chance to experience this one, even if the replayability is not that great.

Anyway, I completely understand why some folks might be starting to bail out after a few weeks. And I do think it's a good thing for them to be posting here, so anyone interested in buying the game gets a balanced view.

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I was in the habit of saving right after a convoy sighting so as to avoid the drudgery of "watching a tiny blip travell slowly across the map while trying to keep my eyelids open" as someone so aptly put it in another post, and I did replay the same scenarios several times to try different tactics. However, I may try some of your suggestions after a long breather...Thanks for the excellent and intelligent contribution Wombat (among a couple of others).

Edit: You too Frumpkis...missed your post as I was writing this.

Cheers

malkuth
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alarmer:

I mean this thread just cryes for trouble. You got bored thats fine, you have right for your opinion. But it´s common sense not to write post like these, they dont archieve anything.

I just wish for once this kinda thread recieved lots of views and zero replies as it should. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They achieve alot. You see the poster, and his body Von get lots of attention. Something they don't get in Real World.

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by malkuth:
They achieve alot. You see the poster, and his body Von get lots of attention. Something they don't get in Real World. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blah blah blah...or should I say Blog Blog Blog.
Judging from the fact that you felt the need to reply with your oh-so-clever post, and from the amount of time you spend adding news-items to your blog page (or the fact that you keep, let alone advertise a blog page), I'd say you oughta refrain from throwing stones Mr. Glass-house Dweller.

malkuth
04-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Ohhh, did I hurt your little feelings. I'm sorry. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

SwissSkipper
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
omg stop it guys.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
And apparently you feel the need to flatter yourself as well, heh heh.

The only thing you've hurt is your reputation...though I suspect that isn't saying much.

Frederf220
04-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Funny enough I've spent so much time on the forums, modding, and... real life. That I'm still on my 6th patrol. I got the shakes while trying to deal with the excitement of my first convoy last mission and I'm still excited about replacing textures and seeing the game get better and better.

The staying power of this game is going to be the sense of immersion and the social aspect of good MP.

markkram95
04-19-2005, 12:21 PM
I agree that "over-playing" a game can leave that burnt out feeling, but when I beging to bore with a game I install a totally different game type. i.e Splintercell:chaos Theory. Uses totally different part of the strategic mind and changes the scenery for a while. In the meantime new patches will emerge for SHIII which will increase the longevity of the game.
i believe the best recipe for a game is variety! Take dangerous waters for example. If SHIII had the same game options like piloting aircraft or destroyers then the game would last a lot longer. Or for example you were a battleship in a mission escorting a cargo fleet and had to depth charge the subs then that would be good too. But as we all know that would take an immense amount of programming and time to do. i think instead of SHIV, a large expansion to SHIII should be made to include all the other ships and planes. Basically like SHII could be used with Destroyer Commmand!!

SwissSkipper
04-19-2005, 12:24 PM
who flatters himself..me?beh...i don't think so.And i dont gove a **** about my reputation since its at the bottom anyway.

Cheer up buddy dont be so defensive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SS.DJSatane
04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Try multiplayer with few people with voice chat you will find you cant stop playing it. I have only played 5 patrols in single game, ever since 3 weeks ago I have been playing multiplayer with few of my friends every day. We collect our stats and based on that we get to switch upgrade or get demoted what subs we use hehe.

Poacher886a
04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I was wondering if you guy's who are board with the game have come from a sim playing background?

I see lots of people singing the praises of IL2 and comparing either favourably with or aginst this sim.

I myself am a fan of IL2 and flight sims in genral(combat only)and(i don't do the Multi play stuff),but have to say i think this and sub sim's in genral are less boring,if thats the right word to use!

You mention sat watching a blip go across the screen,which is a fair comment,but you can use 1000x comp,which im sure will produce a result in minites,or like i often do switch the Tv on and jump on it as soon as there is a contact...its only like playing chess or something they would have done in reality!.

Either way,it is certainly no more boring than sat on auto pilot in Il2 or similar,because unlike Flight sims you can move around the boat and bridge and do other stuff,also when a contact of sorts is made it requires planning and hours of hunting,the positioning and kill itself can take a long time,when in a flight sim, upon contact its all over in 30seconds.

Of course after the contact its the tence payback of slowly trying to wriggle your way out and of to hunt some more!in comparison,a flight sim after the contact its back to auto pilot again for the journey home,no damage control,no crew management or anything!!

Bottom line is...if your used to playing sim's,you know the score and should not have been suprised,and i personaly find this favourable to any and all sims out there!

If you have come from a FPS or similar background,then you might have played this a bit fast or its just not for you,but remember it takes about 10hrs to complete a shooter and then its as good as useless,so there is still more value to a game such as this.

My advise would be to give it a break until patch 1.3 arrives,then take it slower from the top!

malkuth
04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markkram95:
I agree that "over-playing" a game can leave that burnt out feeling, but when I beging to bore with a game I install a totally different game type. i.e Splintercell:chaos Theory. Uses totally different part of the strategic mind and changes the scenery for a while. In the meantime new patches will emerge for SHIII which will increase the longevity of the game.
i believe the best recipe for a game is variety! Take dangerous waters for example. If SHIII had the same game options like piloting aircraft or destroyers then the game would last a lot longer. Or for example you were a battleship in a mission escorting a cargo fleet and had to depth charge the subs then that would be good too. But as we all know that would take an immense amount of programming and time to do. i think instead of SHIV, a large expansion to SHIII should be made to include all the other ships and planes. Basically like SHII could be used with Destroyer Commmand!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, Still play Rome Total War when Get the chance. But with summer coming, Hiking 4 wheeling. Shooting my Evil Black Gun at the range is fun too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Easy Skipper...I was replying to the post above yours. I'd never knock someone for tying to keep the peace. Kudos buddy.

And poacher...good points. I've played flight sims and while they're not my favorite genre, I do find them more exciting in general than sub sims as I've found out. Like I said twice before though, I do feel I got my moneys worth, and certainly don't think there's anything wrong with the game...it just aint my cup of tea anymore.

I have to disagree on one point though; not all FPS games die after completion. I've replayed the original Ghost Recon series and all the Operation Flashpoint campaigns several times and I'm still loving Operation Flashpoint, which is as close to a "sim" as I've seen a FPS get. For the most part you're right though...I finished HL2 once and now have 5 coffee coasters as a memento.

Edit: Acually, I should include that I hated HL2 and almost didn't bother finishing it...and wish I hadn't. Linear tripe.

nstutt
04-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I agree with the sentiments axressed in the first post. Im on about my seventh patrol and I am starting to get rather bored now at doing the same things day in day out with little variation. In fact I treasure the times when the weather is bad or I have to go through the channel becuase it spices up things. But I can definitely see myself getting fed up after a couple more weeks.

Still Ive got my moneys worth and had some fun. But to me this game just doesnt provide enough variation. A varied campaign should mean more mission types than just patrols as well as surprise events like Dunkirk and D Day sailings. But we all know that they arent implemented. So whats the encouragement for going on with the game?

Also considering its far too easy to get massive tonnages etc I also find that it isnt actually all that realistic especially considering the lack of dud torpedos.

If the developer were to release a patch in a couple of weeks that would fix much of the things we have been all going on about I may be willing to play the game a lot more. But in its present state it has very limited replayability. This isnt a surprise though I suspected as much when I bought the game but hey we're pretty short of solid simulations these days and this is better than many around at the moment. Lets just hope the fan base gets some good mods out for it to keep it developing.

Nats

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Erm...actually there are duds (lots and lots of 'em heh heh). Maybe you've got'em disabled?

SwissSkipper
04-19-2005, 01:26 PM
OOHHHH YESSS...OPERATION FLASHPOINT...i think i have that game around somewhere...i thin im gonna install it again. how about a online game VonGeezer.

Long

Oak_Groove
04-19-2005, 01:30 PM
When i become bored with a game it's usually because i played too much, or because it doesn't provide a challenge anymore. Suggestion: take a break. There are also heaps of mods out there, altering the gameplay experience, making it harder and or more realistic.

malkuth
04-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Yes Operation Flashpoint. It holds record for being the longest on my Hardrive.

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the offer skipper...I've never tried OFP online (played GR online for a long time though). I'd love to try but my Sympatico Highspeed has a habit of randomly dying every half-hour or so (lose my dsl light), so until I get that looked at I might be a downer to play with.

Think I'm going to fire it up again though...just thinking about it has got me longing for those ironsights again, muhaha.

It is a masterpiece for sure. And contrary to popular belief, OFP2 is still in the works (woohoo!).

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
OMG...sorry for the OT content, but I just wandered over to the flashpoint site and found, among the many mods available, a mod that allows leaning and rolling.

"Locke@Germany has released an enhanced animation pack which adds new features of leaning around corners and rolling to the left or right whilst prone."

I have got to check this one out...hope it works on all the campaigns!

RoughRaider1
04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Too much of anything can be too much. Take a break and do some differnt stuff. It isn't diffent then anything else.

KiwiVenge
04-19-2005, 02:00 PM
This seems to happen in every game forum that I have been to. Why do people get upset when someone says (in a more intelligent and complete way, this is just for example).
"I don't like this game"
or
"I like this game"

Whoever gets flamed for saying either of these things should feel complimented really. The flamers feel your opinion is so important they vehemently want you to change it to agree with theirs. Even if their tactics are not always effective (throwing insults etc).
People really have to get over it. Some people like the games you do not, some people do not like the games you do.
It is not a personal insult directed your way when someone disagrees with you.
I enjoy seeing opinions that do not coincide with mine. Makes for great conversations (if people can keep it civil) and also it can pinpoint why you do or do not like certain games/genres.
Quite handy really.

Daxos1942
04-19-2005, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The only game to keep my interest for more than a few weeks is IL2 and I put this down to human interaction via multiplayer. Even now, every dogfight I have is different and unpredictable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange, but I feel the same way about flight simulators, play one and you've played them all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I, on the other hand, played CAoD for years and enjoyed it very much, as I'm enjoying SHIII now even more. This one, after a few more patches, promises to be the best sub simulation ever, IMHO.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. What really bores me to no end are FPS games, unless I'm playing on line with other humans, like RTCW. Both CAoD and SHIII have the ability to hold my attention for more than one replay, as single player FPS games do.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Thank you for sharing and shussas they say in Berlin. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

marioh99
04-19-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm mostly a simulation gamer. FPS just don't do it for me anymore. To give you an idea of that, I have both Doom 3 and HL2, and the two games combined have gotten about 1 hour game time total, and I don't foresee either one of those games being played on my PC again.
That being said, I have to agree with the topic creator. The game has become somewhat boring for me. Partly my fault since I played the **** out of it since I got it. But, I have started to mix it up a little with some of my other sims. Since baseball started, I'm playing my baseball simulator alot more and a horse racing simulator has also been getting alot of play recently. I think I'm ready to go back to SH3 now that I haven't played it in a week. You'd think that I'd enjoy this game more than MS Flight Sim 2004, but as good as SH3 is, I still get more enjoyment out of MSFS2004, and haven't really gotten bored with the sim.

U-49
04-19-2005, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nstutt:
Im on about my seventh patrol and I am starting to get rather bored now at doing the same things day in day out with little variation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would imagine the crew of U-boats during WWII felt hopelessly bored most of the time too. It isn't surprising that a simulator as good as SH3 successfully captures many of the facets of being a crew on a U-boat during this period. The often long, boring and uneventful patrols being one of the things that U-boat crews had to deal with. I personally love this sim, but then I had a pretty good idea of what a good WWII U-boat simulator during the Atlantic campaign would encompass.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A varied campaign should mean more mission types than just patrols as well as surprise events like Dunkirk and D Day sailings. But we all know that they arent implemented. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>As we know the time frame and dates for both Dunkirk and D-Day, I'm not sure how you'd expect to be "surprised" by this. I too would welcome inclusions of such historical events, though I wouldn't expect to be surprised by said events.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...in its present state it has very limited replayability. This isnt a surprise though I suspected as much when I bought the game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I find a lot of replayabilty in its present state, and use none of the so-called "mods" currently available for SH3. But hey, it's all good. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

You mention you play a variety of different types of sims. You may or may not be aware of new tank sim currently under development; T-72: Balkins on Fire. (http://www.battlefront.com/products/t72/) It looks like it's coming along nicely, and will likely be a little more action-packed and perhaps more your cup of tea. No U-boat patrols in the Atlantic to contend with there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Cheers.

sskip
04-19-2005, 02:48 PM
With SH3 I knew that there would probably be a lot of tedious moments but I soon found out that this sim is so much more enjoyable when you make it as hard as you can, I play it on 100% difficulty at the moment and when I find that is getting easier I will try and play a full convoy engagement without pausing and I can still try out the mods which totally stop all radio contacts apprearing on the map making the hunt harder and also mods for more destroyers. I heartily recommend you all play it on 100%, you will congratulate yourself for a job well done when you sucessfully locate, hunt, sink and escape.

This game has a lot to offer but only if you put in the effort and actually make yourself work for the tonnage.

Give it a try if you havn't allready you wont regret it

ZG10_Oiink
04-19-2005, 02:52 PM
23 patrols on 100% start 1940 just got to may 1943.....and things getting alot harder, but i have to say that im spending alot of time in IL2 so one or two patrols a day.

´But does it get boring, yes. Why well the same reson that not many fly bombers in IL2, alot of time at nothing and a short time with alot.....some games just doent have the "Action" to make up for the time sped gaming.....so this type of game deffently is not for all

Teddy Bar
04-19-2005, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lassen:
Yep, patrol 15 and I can no longer face going out on patrol. It seems like a chore, I've snapped and the reality of war has taken it's toll on this 'has' been captain.

I'm now totally bored with the game I loved so much when I got it. Watching Das Boot again managed to get me out doing another patrol but it's just soooo repetitive now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Well, i've enjoyed the game, got my money's worth, and now I'm of to an island in the sun to tell my storys about how I escaped death at 100m.

Maybe I'll find the motivation to set out to sea again if a patch / mod comes along that makes things a little more interesting.

Not a critisism of the game as I'm sure some people never get tired of it. It's just one of those thing for me.

Oh and I cant bare these forums anymore.. soooo fed up seeing the same questions / statements / rants / moans / observations day in day out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lassen,
A well thought out post that explained your position in a non-flamitory (any such word?) way. These types of games are not for everyone, I myself cannot stand FPS games, no matter how much action occurs and the lack of career in IL2 ruin's it for me.

However, it does not help that you have an Uber u-boat, a Tiger Tank on water. Taking away any concerns about having to be carefull and cautious. In reality one 3" shell is enough to finish your u-boat as you then cannot dive. In SHIII I can go toe to toe with escorts.

Then there is the AI merchant, as vanilla as it comes. They do not run away. They are lambs to the slaughter making an attack a simple charge in and sink.

Don't get me wrong in that SHIII is an increadable game, it is just not finished and we cannot be sure that Ubisoft will.

Also this is not aimed at the Dev Team.

RedTerex
04-19-2005, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VonGeezer:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex: Single missions however have no patrols, lots of BIG ships to shoot at and can be the kind of arcade style fun that I presume you may like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! So anyone who finds SH3 boring must naturally only like arcade games? Tsk! Tsk!
----------------------------------
No. it was just a suggestion..hence the word "presume" RT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex: If you find SHIII boring in general then the game does not offer the right criteria of entertainment/fun for you and nothing more can be said to help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody is asking for help...we were just stating our opinions. I thought that was what public forums were for. If opinions of the game aren't welcome I find it odd that you don't complain about the "I love this game" posts. Fair's fair no?
------------------------------------------
Did I say that your opinions are not welcome..no I dont believe I did, your post however banal it may be is still welcome. Also whats all this "regards right back atcha" rubbish. It appears that your attitude is taking more of a grip than your actual posts chow...RT

Regards right back atcha.

Ciao! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VonGeezer
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
When someone expresses the view that a sim has become boring and tedious to them, and you flippantly state...

"Single missions however have no patrols, lots of BIG ships to shoot at and can be the kind of arcade style fun that I presume you may like."

...you come across as snide presumptuous twit who thinks he's addressing a simpleton. If that wasn't the case, my apologies, lots of BIG apologies.

Regards

sandbag69
04-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Why not buy a model u-boat kit and build it. Thats what i am doing in between missions. I am building the U-99 (from Revell).

I actually prefer making my own single missions than the campaign. I merge the LND, RND and SCR missions to make them ven more interesting.

Johnny_JG2
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
EVERY game gets boring. EVERY SINGLE GAME - otherwise you would still be playing your favorite one of all time.. right?

oneubauer
04-19-2005, 10:43 PM
With all of the talk here about playing in real time (alot of the die-hard fans seem to do this) maybe someone should pitch a variant of the idea to the developers?

For example:

When playing in real-time you could switch to an "unattended mode". Essentially, the game continues in the background, and *pauses* upon anything other than the usual tedium happening. Maybe it could even be set up to send out an email or a page to you to alert you that it needs attention.

So the virtual world continues while you're away from your computer (like you're off the bridge, sleeping eating etc), and you get called in when something interesting happens. Patrols would literally last for weeks; each encounter could be savoured.

Adds a new level of gameplay, I think....and not that techinically difficult to implement.

Just a thought.

cheers

gabriel_cd
04-19-2005, 10:47 PM
From my other post:

As a CAoD veteran I quite enjoy doing my own hunting. However, would you not agree that every now and then BdU could single you out for a special mission? That would mix things up a bit and give you a chance to experience some combat situations that you may otherwise miss out on. These could be historical or 'what if' scenarios or even contrived ones. Some will say that's what the single missions are, which is true to an extent, yet I tend to get much more involved with my boat and crew in the career.

Happy hunting!

Pentallion
04-19-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm working on a Mediterranean mod though it's extremely far from release, just started recently and it's a lot of work. And I intend to alter some of the grid assignments so that some months you get sent into the heart of the major action. In this way, for instance, you'll get a shot at the US CV Wasp as she flies off Spitfires to reinforce Malta, you'll be given a chance to stop Operation Pedestal, and of course, you'll get a shot at the British CV Ark Royal.

If someone figures out how to create Italian Submarines like the World Mod people figured out how to create a GATO, I'll even start the campaign much sooner so you'd be there to try to sink the Illustrious before she can escape Malta, witness the aerial bombings, intercept the Potato Convoy, etc.

RedTerex
04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VonGeezer

...you come across as snide presumptuous twit who thinks he's addressing a simpleton. If that wasn't the case, my apologies, lots of BIG apologies.

Regards <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When a person looses it. like you have, and thence stoops to derogative explenatives you have also lost the argument.

I state things in an "ibso facto" format that some of our younger posters, (presumably yourself 13 to 16 years of age I'de guess) cant seam to understand and then get all uptight and frustration then leads to insults when the ability to express oneself in a more mature context is beyond the scope of the mind in question.

regards

VonGeezer
04-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Condescending twit wrote: "Single missions however have no patrols, lots of BIG ships to shoot at and can be the kind of arcade style fun that I presume you may like."
-----------------------------------
name calling again..now whos condescending?? seams you are RT

To which I replied "When someone expresses the view that a sim has become boring and tedious to them, and you flippantly state...

'Single missions however have no patrols, lots of BIG ships to shoot at and can be the kind of arcade style fun that I presume you may like."

...you come across as snide presumptuous twit who thinks he's addressing a simpleton. If that wasn't the case, my apologies, lots of BIG apologies.'

And your rambling pseudointellectual reply was:

"When a person looses it. like you have, and thence stoops to derogative explenatives you have also lost the argument.

I state things in an "ibso facto" format that some of our younger posters, (presumably yourself 13 to 16 years of age I'de guess) cant seam to understand and then get all uptight and frustration then leads to insults when the ability to express oneself in a more mature context is beyond the scope of the mind in question."

regards"

First of all, while I believe what you meant to say was "derogatory expletives", I've used no expletives. "...Snide presumptuous twit..." is not an expletive. "Darn!" or "Jimeny Cricket!" or "####!" is an expletive while "Snide presumptuous twit" is merely an accurate description of some of your less-than-redeeming qualities which you happen to find insulting.

I have neither "lost it" *debateable RT* nor am I 13-16 years old -was that really supposed to enrage me?...of course you'll claim it wasn't, that you just "presumed" it like you have before in this thread. If you believe that calling you a "snide presumptuous twit" consitutes "losing it", then I suggest you see someone about your delusions, coz it's a fact Jack.
-----------------------------------------
To make remarks on a personal front rather than keeping to the argument always states a person has actually lost the argument along with his demeanour. RT
And while I admire your attempt to express yourself in a mature albeit typically condescending manner, I stongly suggest you have mommy or daddy proof-read your posts...unless english is not your native language, in which case please disregard.
I'm disregarding more than you think RT
And I do not believe anyone has won this argument; There is an old saying that goes something like this: "One who argues with an idiot is most likely an idiot himself", and for that reason I suddenly feel like an idiot.

Someone really ought to reevaluate your effectiveness as a forum admin though (or is that something you just tack on to your sig) You insult forum members for expressing opinions you don't share (despite whatever ridiculous denials you may express) and apparently love to perpetuate the arguments that ensue.

And again, I have, at no point, lost it...unless you consider shaking my head and thinking "Someone actually made this guy an admin?!!" to be losing it.

Toodle-loo
Just because I am Forum Admin dont think for that you are given the right to be insulting to me (or anyone else for that matter) and to have no response from me.
If you did think that, then you are wrong !

Your facetious post was a weak attempt to prove your maturity by the utilisation of BIG words...the old give-away that is you know LOL.

You may keep your posts mean, but keep em clean.

Cheers RT

ArchangelSKT
04-20-2005, 08:52 AM
While I understand that any sim, meant to be played at a level of high realism can get boring after a while I see no drama in people leaving the game on the shelf.

After all why should I, SH3 if mostly a SP experience anyway.

U-49
04-20-2005, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gabriel_cd:
...would you not agree that every now and then BdU could single you out for a special mission? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed.

It would definitely be welcomed if BdU did this even once or twice during a career.

JG27_Arklight
04-20-2005, 11:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MC_Cudden:
Sorry for you, but it seems to me that this
genre is absolutly nothing for you.

Perhaps you are more a nintendo or shooter fan

Bye <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be an ***.

He got bored with the game he payed for.

Getting bored with a game does not mean he doesn't like the genre or that he should go play Nintendo.

If I like flying does that mean that I should like all flight simulators? No.

VonGeezer
04-20-2005, 11:35 AM
OMG...You're actually insane enough to reply in my own post, telling me to "keep it clean" whilst not removing or editing a word out of it (did you want people to think you took out some vulgar content or something?), and twisting it around so as to imply that I started with the insults? You've even tried to twist the argument so that it appears I'm insulting you (back) and expecting impunity because you're the admin? lol! This is hillarious. Had I been the admin I would have simply said "If you have a problem with me VonGeezer, please tell someone who cares as this is not the proper venue" or something along that line. That's what I meant by "perpetuating".

And despite calling me (VonGEEZER) a 12-16 year old, and telling me that maturity is beyond the "scope" of my mind (lol) you then criticize me for "personal attacks"? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I want you to brush your teeth, go to bed without dinner and think about what you've done.

Now that I realize I'm just a kid (sorry couldnt resist it. RT ) this has gotten alot funnier.

Now be sure to ban me before you make another brilliant retort. lol
---------------------------------------
it did cross my mind....see below RT
Oh, and PS: ME using BIG words? ... "Derogative explenatives"? "Ibso Facto"? lol. At least I use them correctly. I'll admit "facetious" and "utilisation" were impressive though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I'll give you one thing, you're being a moderately good sport about this, heh heh.

Cheers

This message is waiting to be edited by: RedTere
Ban you, no, besides I dont want a letter from your parents.
You may rant on as much as you like Vongoofer as long as bad language is avoided.
Then you will need to be chastised but still not banned.
I would only 'reccommend' banning someone to Ubi forums manager based on the extremety of their posts, I do however edit posts in accordance to UBi rules of posted content ie hate, insult, racism, threats etc and not out of spite as you seam to insinuate.
And if you feel that I have the need to edit your posts then you must be addmitting that the content is less than satisfactory, not just for me to read but others as well.

forum admin..its a tough job but someones got to do it !

Antrodemus
04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat (sorry... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) as the OP - I'm fed up doing the same old thing every time, the only variant being the slight possibility of encountering slightly different targets to sink, very occasionally.

Also, the awards scheme, it's waaaaay too easy to get plastered with so much medal-ware that your tub's in great danger of an early grave, so the attraction of striving to get plenty patrols under your belt is almost non-existent since you have pretty much every decoration going, by your 5th patrol or thereabouts.

What I personally don't understand is that I don't remember AoD or SH1 being any different... and yet I played both of those 'til my mouse needed replacing.

Maybe it's to do with getting older, and less tolerant of most things. Is that it? Am I simply getting too old for this kinda stuff? Maybe.

Just goes to show though... doesn't matter how good it looks, and in SH3's case, there's no disputing that, but if there's no meat on the bone, there's not going to be much chewing going on. IYKWIM...

A.

VonGeezer
04-20-2005, 12:01 PM
It's not that you're getting old Antrodemus...it's that you (like most) are evolving into a more discerning gamer while the games are not keeping up (not faulting anyone...hardware has it's limits). It would have been a nice distraction if what you did in one patrol actually affected how the next patrol played out (in other words, had the campaign actually been dynamic), but what can you do? What I mean by that is if I attack 3 convoys over the course of 3 patrols in the same spot, on the 4th I shouldn't be able to get within 100 miles of that spot without getting blown to bits, and convoys shouldn't be stupidly taking that route until I've been dealt with. Again, what can you do.

Some of the gamers thrive on the realism including the acurate representation of boredom of being in a U-boat I guess...Some even play with no time compression! I suppose I should envy them actually.

If I wanted it THAT real, I'd stuff some dirty gym socks into a pair of filthy underwear and pull it all over my head like a ski mask so I could simulate the stench of a crew that hasn't showered in a week. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

This message is waiting to be edited by: RedTerex

SwissSkipper
04-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I just had an orgasm when i saw all the awesome add ons for Operation Flashpoint.

Tired

Long

Trink_Afri-Cola
04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VonGeezer:
I agree 100% with Lassen. After 15 or so patrols I can't bring myself to endure yet another repetetive excursion into tedium.

I loved this game when it came out. I'm pretty good at it too...was on top of the aces list. But it just got mega-boring.

I suppose I should congratulate the devs for capturing the boredom of u-boat warfare (which I suppose is realistic). Even when I see a convoy it's "here we go again...sigh"....but at least there is something to do for ten or twenty minutes...almost makes up for the dismal monotony of dragging my hull across the ocean to get there.

You aint the only one who's burnt out on this game Lassen....now brace yourself for the fanboy explosion. Having a different opinion is a deadly sin in these forums.

For the amount of hours I spent playing those first 15 or so patrols, I suppose I can say I got my money's worth, but there is no replayability for me in this title. I feel like I've "replayed" the same game fifteen times already http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Salut! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't there is a real fanboy problem here, in Il2 yes most definitely, you can vent go ahead.

privateschultz
04-20-2005, 06:53 PM
i am board wit dis game two. i want my money back ubi, FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, you said this was good game, it is not so good, i am board.

Bulwark_
04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
And while I admire your attempt to express yourself in a mature albeit typically condescending manner, I stongly suggest you have mommy or daddy proof-read your posts...unless english is not your native language, in which case please disregard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well by making that comment right there, you're at the wrong end of this argument if you even want to call it that. It would seem, from my point of view, that you're trying to belittle RedTerex to make yourself seem to be manly about the situation. Instead you're getting the opposite result.

And what is that I see at the end of some of your posts? "This message is waiting to be edited by: RedTerex"??? Yeah, right. Lamo. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

privateschultz
04-20-2005, 08:25 PM
most of these posts are even more boring than the game. i'm outta here.

I'm sorry that you have arrived in this thread in the middle of a heated debate/debacle privateshulz. Sometimes this happens on forums and I can be quite relentless in defending my own issues as well as others.

RedTerex
04-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Thanks Bulwark, Im glad to see that someone recognises that my small job here on the SHIII forums isnt always easy.

Cavalier889
04-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Wow! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VonGeezer, may I help you take that huge chip off your shoulder? Virtally every post you've added to this thread carries the implication that you have been viciously attacked, and that you are vastly superior to the other members of the forum. When someone looks for insults in every comment, they will generally find them, and I can hardly blame RedTerex for his reaction. Maybe if you would tone down your rhetoric and actually communicate with the people on this forum instead if belittling them, you would get a more positive response. On the other hand, you may just be trolling, in which case I should point out that you come across as being fairly immature.

@RedTerex: I like the posters you've selected for your sig.

VonGeezer
04-21-2005, 05:44 AM
Wow! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Get your tongue out of RedTerex's butt Cavalier!

I am glad someone finally figured out I was trolling though...After getting totally bored with SH3, seeing how many fairy fanboys jump on people who critisize their holy-grail of "simulations", I was trying to see how long it would take for Charles Emerson Winchester the Turd to ban me, heh heh.

So long!

Oh, and while I still have the chance...UBI SUCKS!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
-------------------------------------------
Vongoofer, your too immature for adult conversation proved time and again by your posts

kSetuni
04-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Wow! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Get your tongue out of RedTerex's butt Cavalier!

I am glad someone finally figured out I was trolling though...After getting totally bored with SH3, seeing how many fairy fanboys jump on people who critisize their holy-grail of "simulations", I was trying to see how long it would take for Charles Emerson Winchester the Turd to ban me, heh heh.

So long!

Oh, and while I still have the chance...UBI SUCKS!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this proves your maturity or lack thereof and your total disrespect for everyone else here. Simply sad to see it. With an attitude like this you invalidate anything you say no matter how correct of a point you might have.

VonGeezer
04-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Evidently I'm not trying for validation...I'm trying to get banned (never been banned before, can't think of a better place to be banned from). If that didn't do it, I give up! I quit!

But you are correct...Had I cared about the outcome of this debate (debacle) I would not have conducted myself so childishly...it just became obvious that merely annoying the boss wasn't going to cut it.

For the record, it was the "nintendo" comment and the ensuing "arcade" references that spurred me to make a royal *** of myself...and I rather enjoyed it too!

Oh, and RedTerex...if you're really worried about cleaning up the racist etc...content in this forum, I'd say you've got far bigger fish to fry in the Pope thread dude. Stop hiding your replies inside of other people's posts, changing their words to suit your fancy like a spineless git, and do your job, because the fact that you're more concerned about this *weeing* contest than taking care of a thread oozing with prejudiced content (that picture of the handicapped kid is the epitomy of cruel offensiveness) makes you look utterly useless as an admin.

Over and out.
I missed the pope thread RT

Messervy
04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Evidently I'm not trying for validation...I'm trying to get banned (never been banned before, can't think of a better place to be banned from). If that didn't do it, I give up! I quit!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You picked up a wrong forum to be banned! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

reumatiib
04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I just wish the Ubi-employees would stay off this board and quit acting like trolls and get their butts back to PROGRAMMING out the mistakes they sold us for hard cash! Stop coming on here and trying to defend your lack of imagination. Stop telling us how much we should love all the glitches or why each and every LACK or GLITCH in this game is somehow a historical GIFT to us.

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! You want out money in the future, for your D command2 or SH3 mission packs, then stop trying to 'zombie' us into forgetting what WE WANT and start giving it to us! Get to work you slouches! Stop selling us broken-ware.
--------------------------------
I am not a UBi empoyee..I was press ganged into it..and I am a customer as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

quillan
04-21-2005, 08:41 AM
What Ubi employees? The moderators don't work for Ubi.

Antrodemus
04-21-2005, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ubi-employees <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...

reumatiib, you appear to be bereft of facts mate. You do realise they're doing it for nothing, yes? As in; zilch, nought, zero. Unless you consider snide, unwarranted abuse to be fair payment for services rendered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet again... you couldn't be more wrong, especially in regard to the software-buying public. Most people don't have a friggin' clue what they're talking about when it comes to what is "right". In fact, if computers were as potentially dangerous as cars, there would be about a billion deaths due to improper use, such is the ignorance of most PC users. Cruel, but true.

I do have to agree with one point VonGeezer made in his last post here, about the pic of the Down's Syndrome kid. You know, the one that certain people seem to think is OK to plaster all over the 'net with the sole purpose of demonstrating the inadequacy of others compared to them? I first saw it used in a forum about 2 - 3 years ago, and I find it as (un)funny now as I did then.

A.

cueceleches
04-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Just my 2 cents...I love that sim!!
It is at the highest in my favourites list, along with IL2 series. Never getting tired of it, as from my optimistic point of view, there is always something new happening in the ever moving SH3 world. There are sooo many possibilities!
Well, the best of the best. And the dynamic campaign is a must IMHO.

Capt._Tenneal
04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
What could lengthen the enjoyment of the game is : Mods, Mods, Mods ! This has been true of other games. Name a game that is still played now after several years have passed and the commonality (for offline players, at least) is usually user made mods to give the impression of being fresh again. Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, Il2 Sturmovik, the RPGs ( Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights) all heavily modded games, all still being played as when they first came out.

Here's a site with SHIII mods, maybe it's a start : http://www.combatplanes.ca/m_c.htm

Hopefully others will follow. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

marauderiv
04-21-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm with Lassen and VonGeezer. I hope so but I don't think mods can really make SH3 more interesting though. Mods at best can add graphic features and more operation theaters but don't change the boring aspects of this game. SH3 needs an iron man mode that will erase all saves when you die, and a permanent Hall of Fame list. It needs a more dynamic world. Sub sim doesn't have to be boring; boring aspect is already dealt with using time compression. It's the world of SH3 that's boring. Normally sub crews learn about outside world through radio, but in SH3 there's no way to interact with world outside your sub. In movie Das Boot crews can listen to soccer game broadcast to deal with boredom. But in SH3, the world is a dead one. Someone suggested radio historic events, but we all know when invasion of Russia or Normandy landing occurs, so that won't help. This game needs more randomness in the big picture of the world. It needs something motivating you to go to sea. The war outcome needs to be dynamic and interlinked with your performance. Now playing SH3 is like studying for an exam with the knowledge that you're going to fail it no matter what. And that's not motivating if whatever you do don't make a dent to the world. The key is finding the right balance between fun and historic realism.