PDA

View Full Version : OT: Road Rage now called a "disorder"

kajr
06-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Check this out: the new definition for road rage: IED - Intermittent Explosive Disorder (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&click_id=117&art_id=qw1149543183551B243)

Apparently road rage is now being treated as a disease.

Give me a flippin' break...

VV_Holdenb
06-06-2006, 03:57 PM
"IED - Intermittent Explosive Disorder"
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
My Wife gets that even when there are
no cars involved http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif. Usually when
there is more chores for me to do or I have just "Thought" about getting some virtual air time in.

diomedes33
06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah it really is rediculus. This one had me laughing histerically. I saw a drug commercial the other day on RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). At first I thought it was an SNL parody. However, it really exists.

I guess it never occurs to these people to run a couple miles are take a stroll around the block.

I suffer from Spontanious Intermittent Ignoramous Disorder and a Severe Allergy to Stupidity. If left unchecked I could fall into a self destructive cycle of doing stupid **** and then doing all in my power to not repeat. This can result into hours lost of reading books and maybe even <GASP> ... Thinking. Unfortunatley the drug empires of the world have not found a cure. This is my life and I have learned to deal with it.

Aguila_Azteca
06-06-2006, 04:45 PM
MMM... it says it shows first at Adolecense (same as activation of sex organs).... i say it is just lack of sex, lack of sex with some one worth having sex with, is enough to ruin every one's life..... i have lack of sex disorder... i tend to get very angry easily

slipBall
06-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by diomedes33:
Yeah it really is rediculus. This one had me laughing histerically. I saw a drug commercial the other day on RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). At first I thought it was an SNL parody. However, it really exists.

I guess it never occurs to these people to run a couple miles are take a stroll around the block.

I suffer from Spontanious Intermittent Ignoramous Disorder and a Severe Allergy to Stupidity. If left unchecked I could fall into a self destructive cycle of doing stupid **** and then doing all in my power to not repeat. This can result into hours lost of reading books and maybe even <GASP> ... Thinking. Unfortunatley the drug empires of the world have not found a cure. This is my life and I have learned to deal with it.

I dated a women who had RLS, there were some nights in bed, while she sleeped, that I wished I was wearing a cup http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

DuxCorvan
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Aguila_Azteca:
MMM... it says it shows first at Adolecense (same as activation of sex organs).... i say it is just lack of sex, lack of sex with some one worth having sex with, is enough to ruin every one's life..... i have lack of sex disorder... i tend to get very angry easily

Yeah, me too. I need urgent treatment.

I also have this Itchy B*lls Weirdo Disorder, which is destroying all my chances for social promotion.

(Note: the Itchy B*lls Weirdo Disorder is a TM licensed by NG Corp. Inc. Ltd. This is based in a real story, but all names and facts have been changed completely and are unrecognizable. Lice has not been harmed in the production of this post.)

diomedes33
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by slipBall:
I dated a women who had RLS, there were some nights in bed, while she sleeped, that I wished I was wearing a cup http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I was more taking a stab at the drug companies' idea that everything (real and invented) can be curred by a pill. Also, their tv/magazine ad campaign to push their medication onto the general population. At least in the US it seems that there are more drug comercials than any other.

Of course this is all subjective through my own life experiences. I used to work IT for a medical organization and I often heard 1st hand the frustration of the doctors. The patients would ask for the new wonder pill for their 'ailment' as seen on TV. When in reality a change in diet or some physical activity would solve or significantly lessen the problem and side step a life long chemical dependency.

I would much rather see all that money in advertising being put back into research to develope treatments for AIDS, Cancer, Avian Flu, etc ...

PBNA-Boosher
06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
There's a disorder for everything nowadays. A few years ago I was forced to take a psychological test. The end result? I have a disorder which makes it easier for me to learn languages. That's the disorder. Give me a break, it's all bullsh!t.

knightflyte
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Persoanally, I think SOME of the 'disorders' are an excuse for lacking personal restraint and responsibility.

Other factors are the **** we eat on a daily basis. I'm not talking McDonalds either. So many chemicals go into our food that it's bound to have an effect on our bodies.

fordfan25
06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by diomedes33:

I suffer from Spontanious Intermittent Ignoramous Disorder and a Severe Allergy to Stupidity. If left unchecked I could fall into a self destructive cycle of doing stupid **** and then doing all in my power to not repeat. This can result into hours lost of reading books and maybe even <GASP> ... Thinking. Unfortunatley the drug empires of the world have not found a cure. This is my life and I have learned to deal with it. actually i have RLS. iv had it sence i was a kid and before there was a name for it. walking and running does not help. its a very real disorder and for suffers it is nearly madning at times. STFU about things you know nothing about. just because something does not effect YOU does not mean it does not exist or that it is not important or do you just suffer from HUAS =head up a** syndrom

Esel1964
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
So when I find myself subconsciously pushing the truck's floorboard with the foot to who's side I'm turning;or using the rock chip put in the windshield by a gravel truck as a gunsight-I can sue Oleg for causing me to develop-MIDA-(Maddox induced Dogfight Addiction). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

NonWonderDog
06-06-2006, 10:24 PM
IED, huh? Besides the unfortunate (but gruesomely funny) acronym, how's it different than the prior stupid diagnosis of "rageaholic"?

Other than, you know, the "rageahol." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

diomedes33
06-06-2006, 10:52 PM
fordfan25 take a deep breath and read the post again in its entirety, you might see the humor in it.

I appologize if I offended you, it wasn't my intention.

Immermann
06-07-2006, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Aguila_Azteca:
... i have lack of sex disorder...

What? You lack a sex disorder? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

x6BL_Brando
06-07-2006, 04:50 AM
The point about the drug companies is particularly apt. 'Commercial' medicine is a money-making racket - quite opposite to the philosophy of real physicians and medical staff.

The other worrying aspect is the legal situation. Defence lawyers will have a field day with IED http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif The possibilities regarding compensation for damage and injury are especially disturbing. Counter-claims are especially harrowing for the innocent victim and his or her relatives as they wait for some natural justice.

No doubt, medically-speaking, outrageous displays of random aggression can be classified as a contemporary syndrome. It's perhaps positive that the behaviour has been recognised as more than just 'road rage'. IED runs much deeper - into the street, the mall and the home. It needs recognising and treating - but there isn't a pill that can do that.
I focussed particularly on 'road rage' because it has huge resonance for me - but the situation regarding domestic violence is equally alarming. How many bullies will cop the IED plea, if this diagnosis gains popularity?

A person who snaps in these ways is definitely ill. The victims of their rage are generally innocent. In a society that deplores murder and violence to property and citizens a crime has been committed and some retribution is required as well as treatment. A simple fine or driving ban or even gaol is not the full answer however, and professional counselling and anger therapy is also needed. As much for the sake of future, potential victims as the disordered aggressor.

Myself, I was taken out by a testosterone-fuelled jerk travelling way too fast on the wrong side of the road http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif By a cruel irony I lost my right arm, shattered my shoulder and had three nerves plucked out of my spine - while the perpetrator punctured a lung (very non-serious) and broke a toe. To cap that the guy then lied enormously to the police and his insurance company - and I was lucky to have solid witnesses to refute his lies.

While it wasn't road rage as we define it, with shouting and clenched fists, it has to be a disorder that causes an otherwise normal person to gun a vehicle to fifty-plus mph in rush-hour traffic in a 30-zone without thinking of the possible outcome. There's something almost psychotic about the lying afterwards, too. So there is a medical/social problem: but I'd hate to see such people being able to disguise their 'don't give a XXXX' attitudes behind a plea of IED.

Yes it's an illness, but it can be treated if the afflicted person is prepared to accept the effects of their behaviour and work it out. It's not life-threatening (except as above) and it ain't nothing like AIDS or TB.

B.

kajr
06-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando: Yes it's an illness, but it can be treated if the afflicted person is prepared to accept the effects of their behaviour and work it out.

Brando, you are spot on, my thinking was completely from the legal side as well. The whole concept of "innocent by means of ________ " [fill in the blank] is a huge problem by my estimation. Now we can assume "innocent by means of mental defect" will certainly add IED to the list of potential ills.

The problem with all this is that its just legal fodder. My guess is that most, and I do mean almost all, road rage, is probably not clinically "IED". It was a bad day at the office, or a busted up relationship, coupled with a vehicular extension of our bodies called a car, which we use so frequently that it seems to become an extension of who we are. To the point of acting out a frustration by driving as if the car were a part of the body. And the perp is going to take anger management classes instead of jail? What a joke.

But now the legal system gets to use that defense whenever they want... translation: all the time. Our human society continues to move away from culpability and responsibility every single day. It's a tragedy.

panther3485
06-07-2006, 06:22 AM
First scenario:
To be sure, there are individuals out there with real disorders. Genuine cases.

Second scenario:
Having said that, there is also an increasing and disturbing trend for people to hide behind the excuse of a 'disorder', just so they can get away with plain, old-fashioned bad behaviour.

I'm betting that the second scenario is more common than the first.

Best regards,
panther3485

luftluuver
06-07-2006, 06:39 AM
I had one of those moments the other day. Some witch having a hen party with her passenger and not concentrating on her driving. Nothing physical but she got one big verbal dressing down for trying to kill or maim me. Good thing for defensive driving, loud pipes and a horn.

SeaFireLIV
06-07-2006, 06:53 AM
If God had meant us to drive he would`ve given us wheels instead of legs. If he`d meant us to fly he would given us w... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I`ll get my coat then....

WWSensei
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Frankly, I just think the road-rage "disorder" is one of selfish people too self involved to realize that while they have the freedom to act like an *** the rest of us have the right to treat them like one.

justflyin
06-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by panther3485:
First scenario:
To be sure, there are individuals out there with real disorders. Genuine cases.

Second scenario:
Having said that, there is also an increasing and disturbing trend for people to hide behind the excuse of a 'disorder', just so they can get away with plain, old-fashioned bad behaviour.

I'm betting that the second scenario is more common than the first.

Best regards,
panther3485

Panther, very sane and rational way to look at this. There are people who have rage issues and it is indeed due to a form of mental illness. It's a form of insanity, actually. Because a person becomes so enraged that they lose control of their sane and rational thought process during it.

Recently, a Road Rage (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/14473091.htm) issue happened to Jason Taylor of the Miami Dolphins. This is a real problem, but as Panther stated, all the con artists will come out of the woodwork to use it as an excuse and take the emphasis away from the people who truly need help with their anger management and rage issues.

I think it's very ignorant of people to dismiss this as bullsh*t, because some folks really have a major problem with this type of mental illness.

It's almost like alcoholism. No one believed it was a disease either, when Dr. Bob and Bill W. began their quest to help. Guess what, it is. An insidious disease at that.

SeaFireLIV
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
While I agree that some issues are of a real and serious nature, I would also have to agree that a LOT of people will use some of these issues just to be plain BAD. From road rage to alcoholism to false accusatuions of rape, etc. A wise person asks the relevant questions frst before making judgements based on excuses.

I agree with panther3485.

x6BL_Brando
06-07-2006, 09:51 AM
It's a form of insanity,

Specifically a temporary psychosis, prompted by stress and recognisable by an absence of rational behaviour and a disregard for other human beings.

I agree that pooh-pooing the notion of rage as an identifiable mental illness is reckless. There are too many people blindly pushing the 'personal rights' issue (at the cost of growing scepticism) but we shouldn't dismiss the need for all parties to receive the consideration that real social justice demands.

The problem seems to be aggravated by people seeking absolute, usually polarised standpoints. I'm not seeking an eye for an eye or even an arm for an arm - but I also don't want to see people avoiding their responsibilities because of their un-resolved issues. Some people mention jail, others mention psychatric help - perhaps we need a middle way.

B.

Esel1964
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
If God had meant us to drive he would`ve given us wheels instead of legs. If he`d meant us to fly he would given us w... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I`ll get my coat then....

If He'd intended us to fly,we'd have been given blackboxes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

djetz
06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
People will always grasp at nonsense that "excuses" their own awful behaviour. Sadly, it often works.

What we need is for people to have a better understanding of what mental illnesses actually are, what behavoiral syndromes actually are, and what flat-out idocy actually is.

In the legal sense, a person can only be found "not guilty by reason of insanity" if it can be proven that the person did not know the difference between right and wrong at the time of the crime.

The problem is that judges and juries usually have no real understanding of what that means and will often listen to lawyer double-talk.

In reality, it only applies to people in the grip of a psychotic episode, which is pretty easy for anyone with some expertise to identify. It was never meant to apply to people who claim some "syndrome" to explain the fact that they're complete R-soles.

The problem is that in "less serious" cases judges and juries can often be persuaded to go easy on a person who claims some psychiatric excuse for the fact that they've done some evil thing. Nowadays everybody who has been caught doing something terrible claims to have been sexually abused as a child. It's the moral equivalent of saying "The Devil made me do it" and usually about as truthful. But it works. Not just in court, either. "I'm not a wrongdoer, I'm a victim" is pretty much ubiquitous among the ethically challenged these days.

By the way, in serious crimes, anyone found "not guilty by reason of insanity" does NOT go free, they end up in a hospital for the criminally insane, which is generally not going to be much of an improvement on the big house, and such people usually never get released.

panther3485
06-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi, djetz

Originally posted by djetz:
"By the way, in serious crimes, anyone found "not guilty by reason of insanity" does NOT go free, they end up in a hospital for the criminally insane, which is generally not going to be much of an improvement on the big house, and such people usually never get released."

$hit, mate! I sure hope that's true, or God help us all!

Best regards,
panther3485